+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    What I mean is that compared to Bristol City (and Swansea) we still have a poor reputation for converting academy players to first teamers, so it’s going to affect our ability to retain talent.
    The evidence is out there: they regularly sell home grown players for big fees, we end up losing ours when they are 15 or 16.
    The scalping from big clubs is (as usual) unfair, but those other clubs are in the same situation as us.
    I bet they'll lose a similar number, we just won't hear about them because they've not broken through.

Allededly Crew is on more money than Colwill and Davies. It is life changing money for him and we aren't in a position to match that.

so is the biancheri transfer considered an international transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Begs the question of is the academy providing any value whilst at cat 2.

The better ones seem to leave before we can even get much of a fee.

The others that do progress don't seem to be able to get in the side.

I suppose you are still developing players that will have a career somewhere in the pyramid, much like we take on players who may have come through at bigger clubs. Maybe that's the purpose, because it rarely seems to benefit the club much.
    I always think Brentford had the right idea here.

All their young talent was getting poached by big clubs for peanuts, so they scrapped their academy altogether and established a "B" team that picks up released 16-18 year olds. It costs far less to run and they regularly play against men's teams in the UK and abroad (I'm sure we could do something similar against Welsh Prem clubs).

It's already produced several first team Premier League players including Chris Mepham.

You obviously need a good scouting network, but when you look at Denham, Sang, and Bagan, this is actually something we're already doing with some degree of success.

The obvious question is what would happen to the next Ruben Colwill or Isaak Davies, but academy success stories have become so thin on the ground for us, you do have to question if it's a worthy investment.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I always think Brentford had the right idea here.

All their young talent was getting poached by big clubs for peanuts, so they scrapped their academy altogether and established a "B" team that picks up released 16-18 year olds. It costs far less to run and they regularly play against men's teams in the UK and abroad (I'm sure we could do something similar against Welsh Prem clubs).

It's already produced several first team Premier League players including Chris Mepham.

You obviously need a good scouting network, but when you look at Denham, Sang, and Bagan, this is actually something we're already doing with some degree of success.

The obvious question is what would happen to the next Ruben Colwill or Isaak Davies, but academy success stories have become so thin on the ground for us, you do have to question if it's a worthy investment.
    I wouldn't like to see this, but you can understand the logic

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wouldn't like to see this, but you can understand the logic
    Agreed. Brentford are operating in a congested area in West London. We aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Agreed. Brentford are operating in a congested area in West London. We aren’t.
    It doesn't matter though, Biancheri and Crew have gone to Manchester and Leeds, area doesn't come in to it then!

Another issue is, all of our best players will play for Wales at youth level, so they're even more high profile.

We’ve never given the impression of really going for a Category One Academy and now we’re paying for it. As someone who was all in favour of an Academy, I’m coming around to the view that if we’re not willing/able to have a Category One Academy, is there any point in having one?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’ve never given the impression of really going for a Category One Academy and now we’re paying for it. As someone who was all in favour of an Academy, I’m coming around to the view that if we’re not willing/able to have a Category One Academy, is there any point in having one?
    apparently Charlton applied to be a cat 1 academy in October but we're rejected, and Birmingham were recently downgraded to cat 2 as well and now plan to close the academy altogether.

category 1 academies need 18 full time staff and a budget of 2.5m a year, I can't see us doing that unless we are in a much better financial situation

https://twitter.com/SteveCMB/status/1619997685020499969

@matthewjamesali

Brexit has made it absolutely impossible for academies like ours to prosper. Cat One is so desperately needed to help avoid circumstances like this

@SteveCMB

That’s why the Llanrumney project is so important to ....

@Mr_Peteroy

I thought that project was just to have a better Cat 2 status facility Steve?

@iamtimjbaker

Yeah. My understanding is that we're not actually going for Cat. 1 at the present time.

@SteveCMB

Cat 1, does not stop players being cherry picked but makes it less likely. Until a player signs a pro contract at 17 there is no security.

I watch the odd game on youtube etc, and by christ, it's sterile. The players are all technically quite good, but there seems little expression on the ball, it's like they're all cloned to play a certain way. I don't know how long we have had an academy, but we don't seem to produce anything of note, and i reckon it's the coaching. Look at the players we have produced over the past 20 years, Ramsey, Collins, Ledley, Gunter, Ralls, Earnie, they all had something about them, a bit of character, belief etc. Is that trait being coached out of young players by these anemic looking and sounding blokes with clipboards and tight tracksuits?

I think cat 1 means we would get 40,000 per year compensation for a player instead of 25000 per year as a cat 2.
    if we have a serious talent that isn't going to put off the biggest clubs.
    the best thing to do is make sure we are regularly bringing players through to the first team.

I think cat 1 means we would get 40,000 per year compensation for a player instead of 25000 per year as a cat 2.
    the best thing to do is make sure we are regularly bringing players through to the first team.
    A serious talent......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    A very young side today. Some encouraging promotions too for Welch and So Sani.

O'Reilly, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Patten (c), Blaise, Menayese, Welch, Weymans, Harris, Humphries, So Sani

SUBS: Young, Byrne, Kelly, Waite (Only four apparently)
    If we've got a four year in the squad,then no doubt Man U ill snap him up.

Category 1 won't necessarily stop players going though. The only way to really keep our players is Premier League football. Look at Fulham, they've lost Sessegnon, Elliott & Carvalho in recent year but it looks like they may keep Luke Harris (who may well be the best of the bunch) as they're performing well in the Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A serious talent......
    Crew & Biancheri have been deemed good enough as teenagers to be signed by Premier League sides. Crew is already in Leeds' under 21 team and trained with their seniors, Biancheri was training with our seniors as a 16 year old, it's not beyond us to produce a serious talent. This crop of Cardiff players make up the bulk of a successful Wales u17s side

Rjk's right, 40k a year is what 400k if you've had them from 6 to 16? How much has been spent on their development in that time? It's a ridiculous rule shafting smaller clubs

Cat 1 isn't worth it for a club like ours. We can't afford to run one. The £2.5m estimate is the minimum, too. Most Cat 1s cost as much as 5m, and that was 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Crew & Biancheri have been deemed good enough as teenagers to be signed by Premier League sides. Crew is already in Leeds' under 21 team and trained with their seniors, Biancheri was training with our seniors as a 16 year old, it's not beyond us to produce a serious talent. This crop of Cardiff players make up the bulk of a successful Wales u17s side

Rjk's right, 40k a year is what 400k if you've had them from 6 to 16? How much has been spent on their development in that time? It's a ridiculous rule shafting smaller clubs
    PL bulldozed it through. It's an absolute joke. Said they'd pull all the TV money if it didn't happen...

Burnley's scouts are spreading the net wide https://clwbpeldroed.org/2023/01/30/...nt-tom-tweedy/

another youngster from south wales signs for Burnley Has he been involved with our academy in the past ?

I kind of agree with this. Or do we just accept that football has no integrity and just get on with it? Big business dominates our society and policy at every level and is generally amoral when it comes to decision making.

The truth of the matter is that Biancheri is the best of the crop at the age of 16, but may not be at the age of 18 or 21. He will do well to get in the Man Utd U18 team next season, let alone the U21's. He is nowhere near the talent that Ramon Calliste, Leon Jeanne or even Christian Roberts were at the same age (Roberts turned down similar advances). His move to them will not improve his development, but will give him a fatter contract at 17. There may also have been some immediate 'benefits'. How David Hughes can look at himself in the mirror is beyond me.

I'm not sure that Cat 1 makes a lot of difference, 60% extra of bugger all, is still bugger all.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    I kind of agree with this. Or do we just accept that football has no integrity and just get on with it? Big business dominates our society and policy at every level and is generally amoral when it comes to decision making.

The truth of the matter is that Biancheri is the best of the crop at the age of 16, but may not be at the age of 18 or 21. He will do well to get in the Man Utd U18 team next season, let alone the U21's. He is nowhere near the talent that Ramon Calliste, Leon Jeanne or even Christian Roberts were at the same age (Roberts turned down similar advances). His move to them will not improve his development, but will give him a fatter contract at 17. There may also have been some immediate 'benefits'. How David Hughes can look at himself in the mirror is beyond me.

I'm not sure that Cat 1 makes a lot of difference, 60% extra of bugger all, is still bugger all.
    I strongly believe the system is completely unfair and should be changed so the Academies can be used for what they were originally, not as a feeders for the richest clubs. However, I don’t agree that a change to category 1 would make no difference to us. For a start, we could make a bent system work for us by picking up good players from other clubs without Category One Academies for the bargain prices that the likes of Man United and Man City (it’d probably be less actuall, because we’d not be able to attract the very best). I’d not like to see us behave like that and would much prefer a fairer system be put in place, but footballs a cut throat business and,if we don’t do it, there’ll be plenty who will.

Lewys Benjamin to Man City now according to Twitter?

If the academy model made any sense before Brexit it sure as hell doesn’t now. Might as well be a minor league setup for the bigger prem teams.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post

If the academy model made any sense before Brexit it sure as hell doesn’t now. Might as well be a minor league setup for the bigger prem teams.
    https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/s...CeLhCJnFWbvMxA

Something will have to give with this or you'll have academies shutting down across the country.

What's the point of investing considerable sums into an academy when you'll see no benefit in terms of players of any standard coming through, or have zero financial benefit from moving them on.

Another cherry picking raid - although this one delayed until the summer. Sickening - and probably not the best move for Benjamin who would have been playing regularly for the u21s here (although a better move for his bank balance)?