+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

I think these players and there advisors are smart enough to realize there’s a much lower chance (if any) of a path to playing regularly for these big clubs, but on the other hand they will get a few years of some of the best coaching in the world, the pick of loan deals around Europe when they are ready and then probably find a landing spot at a team at least the size of Cardiff if it doesn’t pan out for them… plus getting paid an order of magnitude more than they can get here in the meantime.

It’s a no brainer for the players but a real kick in the gut for us and surely something has to give. Anyone know if this is part of what was being looked at in the scope of what the government was trying to push through? The FA surely have to see this as a massive risk if there’s no value for anyone outside of the top 10-15 in the Prem to run an academy.

You can't blame any young player for jumping at the chance to join Man Utd or Man City, but the academy system is badly broken.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Anyone know if this is part of what was being looked at in the scope of what the government was trying to push through? The FA surely have to see this as a massive risk if there’s no value for anyone outside of the top 10-15 in the Prem to run an academy.
    I was wondering that, but looking at it now it doesn't look like it is. Clubs need to get together to tell the FA they're considering shutting down their academies unless something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Something will have to give with this or you'll have academies shutting down across the country.

What's the point of investing considerable sums into an academy when you'll see no benefit in terms of players of any standard coming through, or have zero financial benefit from moving them on.
    Independent regulator should look at this. They won't, though. It doesn't benefit the big 6 and even after the Super League debacle there's no appetite to do anything to curb their power.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Another cherry picking raid - although this one delayed until the summer. Sickening - and probably not the best move for Benjamin who would have been playing regularly for the u21s here (although a better move for his bank balance)?
    he will get better coaching there, and probably better loan moves.
    we don't exactly have a great track record of turning out great youngsters

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he will get better coaching there, and probably better loan moves.
    we don't exactly have a great track record of turning out great youngsters
    It doesn't help that all our best youngsters go. We've lost loads to the big clubs recently.

Where’s the welsh Journo’s when you need them, bit of investigative journalism on this subject could make some noise and ruffle some feathers.

they should at the very least make a mandatory sell-on fee, split by the number of years the players have been at whichever clubs before they're 21 or something

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Where’s the welsh Journo’s when you need them, bit of investigative journalism on this subject could make some noise and ruffle some feathers.
    When this got pushed through, the PL said it is this, or no TV money. Nobody important cares because the big clubs get what they want and nothing will change. We can kick up a stink, it won't change anything. If they didn't punish them for the Super League stuff, they definitely won't change this. The only time it will change is if basically every club below the PL stops running academies because there's no point.

What is there to investigate? This is the system working as intended

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    When this got pushed through, the PL said it is this, or no TV money. Nobody important cares because the big clubs get what they want and nothing will change. We can kick up a stink, it won't change anything. If they didn't punish them for the Super League stuff, they definitely won't change this. The only time it will change is if basically every club below the PL stops running academies because there's no point.
    In retrospect we could have been cynical and chucked a few kids on at Leeds to try and bump the price up if we knew they were going. Sunderland played a 15 year old the other day

I don’t think that’s how it works is it? Fixed price for every year in the academy I thought, nothing else you can do until they sign a contract at 17.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    I don’t think that’s how it works is it? Fixed price for every year in the academy I thought, nothing else you can do until they sign a contract at 17.
    Didn't Fulham manage to up the price for Harvey Elliott by playing him in a couple of games? They aren't a category 1 academy either

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    In retrospect we could have been cynical and chucked a few kids on at Leeds to try and bump the price up if we knew they were going. Sunderland played a 15 year old the other day
    I think that's what they've tried to do with Benjamin. I'm not sure how Ampadu and Elliot went for a fair chunk, when I was under the impression it is all fixed. A tribunal ruled that Ampadu went for less than what Chelsea had bid, though because that seems fair.

Didn't Fulham manage to up the price for Harvey Elliott by playing him in a couple of games? They aren't a category 1 academy either
    depends if he's signed a pro contract, after 17 it goes to a tribunal where number of games played does make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    depends if he's signed a pro contract, after 17 it goes to a tribunal where number of games played does make a difference
    He didn't sign a pro deal at Fulham, he left at 16

I suppose to a lesser degree we also poach players from others further down the pyramid.

There's also no guarantee that these will turn out to be first teamers at those clubs, they have such wealth that they can afford to pick up and pay so many more.players in the hope one or two turn out quality.

Still, it's shit and the system is broken, can see why Brentford ditched theirs although their location helps offset that massively.

He didn't sign a pro deal at Fulham, he left at 16
    Same as Ampadu. I’m not sure how it works, EPPP makes it cut and dried I thought

Same as Ampadu. I’m not sure how it works, EPPP makes it cut and dried I thought
    Glen Williams reporting "big six figure fees" for both

Ampadu was about £2.5m in the end I think, he and Elliott's deals went to a tribunal. Only reasons I can see is that they played in first team games

I do think we're far too cautious about giving young players a shot, look at someone like Conway at Bristol City, he was playing for Bath last season and is now in their first team. Sometimes they just need opportunity. We're still cautious giving players like Colwill & Davies runs in the team when the guys ahead of them are consistently poor

Ampadu was about £2.5m in the end I think, he and Elliott's deals went to a tribunal. Only reasons I can see is that they played in first team games

I do think we're far too cautious about giving young players a shot, look at someone like Conway at Bristol City, he was playing for Bath last season and is now in their first team. Sometimes they just need opportunity. We're still cautious giving players like Colwill & Davies runs in the team when the guys ahead of them are consistently poor
    I’ll put the usual caveat about performance meaning more than results in first, but for about fifteen years I watched Academy games against Bristol City and saw us beat them far more times than lose to them, yet the wurzels have never been as reluctant to give youngsters a chance in the first team and have benefited to the tune of eight figure transfer fees on a few occasions. Just coming out with the tired old line about our youngsters not being good enough because they aren’t playing in the Premier League every week misses a point about the underlying philosophy at City - youngsters are seen very much as a last resort.

Didn’t Bristol City sell a 15 year old to Chelsea for £1m last year?

Not for the first time, I'm extremely confused. I thought EPPP was fixed and yet, it isn't. We need to start chucking young lads in but WBA do that all the time, are Cat 1 and their best players almost always go to Villa.

It is annoying because Crew, Biancheri, Benjamin and Perrett are probably the ones that would be future Cardiff players, I highly doubt if they'll make it at Man City etc, and they'd be the ones to break through. It is a bit of a vicious cycle.

Let's hope the club sit down with Perrett etc and can map out his path to convince him to stay, if he is this highly rated. The other thing is, that most of the young players that Swansea sell, and Bristol City, aren't actually their academy prospects either. James is from Hull, McBurnie was at Bradford, Alex Scott was from Guernsey and Semenyo came from South Glos College, all after 17. We've not given them loads of game time this year but Sang, Denham and Bagan have all broken through, while Colwill and Davies have made the jump. I'd rather we gave them a go than play Sawyers and Simpson, who are so far off the level, a young lad could not be less effective even if they aren't quite up to it.

Yeah I remember the TV money scenario Pedro - I reckon we should shut the academy down immediately and give the facilities to the women.....I know Brentford got rid of their academy and they done okay without one. Modern football has become a fking disgrace.

What is there to investigate? This is the system working as intended
    Rest assured there's plenty of murk in there if someone had the bollocks to scratch the surface.

Rest assured there's plenty of murk in there if someone had the bollocks to scratch the surface.
    It’s not even hidden, that’s the issue. It is there to help the PL clubs, so it’s part of the “greater good”