+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks both, I think I might pop along to watch a game or two next season if I do move.

What an effort by Cambrian and Clydach this afternoon - took Swansea to extra time before losing 2-0.
    Yep it was a fantastic performance by the lads, in fact they could have won it in the last 10 mins with a couple of great chances. Really gritty performance though, as they were expected to lose by 5 or 6.

2-0 loss at home to Bristol City for the under-23s tonight. Not a great performance, too young a side to make it competitive though. Connor Young got done for the first goal, we didn't create anything until midway through the second half when Cameron Coxe missed a great chance. They scored their second soon after, far too easily, and although we played some decent stuff after that we never troubled their keeper. Lloyd Humphries played in midfield and spent the best part of an hour trying to run off a calf injury, it was only when the physical Jordan Blaise came on for him that we looked like making any kind of a game of it. Even then Bristol should have scored more on the break, they had plenty of pace. I know we're playing a long game now and I'm not expecting too much too soon but there weren't many positives that I could see, hopefully TOBW will find some tomorrow.

My first dvp game in a while and it was a strange watch. It seems best to view these games as if you're a player's parent, but objectively it seems impossible to really write anyone off at the moment. Also, I know the first team squad is stretched but wouldn't it be best to have at least one senior pointer and shouter on the pitch? Maybe they will next year.

What's the future of Jordan Blaise? He's 21 now and on current policy time might be running out. I thought he was a defender but came on in midfield last night so is possibly being tried there for a while longer?

All in all, a game for the patient and forgiving but this time next year might be more telling.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

As I mention in the piece, I find it hard to see what the youngsters involved would have gained from that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    My first dvp game in a while and it was a strange watch. It seems best to view these games as if you're a player's parent, but objectively it seems impossible to really write anyone off at the moment. Also, I know the first team squad is stretched but wouldn't it be best to have at least one senior pointer and shouter on the pitch? Maybe they will next year.

What's the future of Jordan Blaise? He's 21 now and on current policy time might be running out. I thought he was a defender but came on in midfield last night so is possibly being tried there for a while longer?

All in all, a game for the patient and forgiving but this time next year might be more telling.
    You and TOBW have just about covered everything there. I was thinking the same about having a senior player or two in the team last night. Earlier in the season, Cameron Coxe had to play at centre-half and Ajayi helped him through the game with the minimum of fuss. Similarly, Kennedy has played out on the left and given Abbruzzese terrific support, linking up going forward and tracking back to help out defensively. Coxe has been very average the last two times I've seen him while the excellent Abbruzzese has looked isolated and increasingly frustrated.

Not sure about Blaise. He could be released tomorrow as far as I know so no point in speculating too much but it'll be interesting to see what happens to him from here. I've only seen him as a centre-half, he's built like one for sure, I guess he got moved to the bench last night to make way for the trialist and was the only realistic option to replace the struggling Humphries in midfield. He's impressed me this season, physically strong and a better footballer than I'd previously given him credit for, but it's so hard to judge what level these guys are at from a handful of viewings at age-group level. It's a shame, and slightly surprising, that we didn't get him out on loan at some point this season.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

As I mention in the piece, I find it hard to see what the youngsters involved would have gained from that game.
    Not just a lack of strikers but a lack of wide players and genuine pace too. I'm not just talking about wingers, I'm more than happy for full backs to provide the width, but there are a few talented players there who look completely lost once they get moved out of a central area. Work in progress, I know, but the last couple of home games have been a bit of an eye-opener.

I'm confused by the Weymans situation, I haven't seen much of him but he's looked the real deal when I have. We tried to send him on loan to Kortrijk in January but that fell through, he doesn't play regularly at DVP level yet would seem to be a logical candidate to join up with the first team if Warnock wants to involve youngsters. That midfield position where Gunnarsson and Ralls could help protect him along with Zohore, Harris and Hoilett to try and pick out in front would seem to be ideal for him. Surely he couldn't be less effective than Pilkington in there?

Blue in the Face

Isaak Davies, Keenan Patten, Sam Bowen, Jac Davies in the squad for a UEFA U16 Development Tournament which is now under way.
    Wales's first game ended Cyprus 1 Wales 1 (Wales win on penalties). The line up was a predominantly North Walian / Everton fest with none of our players in the starting eleven. Bodes well that Wales have strong numbers in a top academy at least.

Albania up next. Hopefully our lads will get some game time for this one.

Details here for the Cyprus game....

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsit...from=&ucat=17&

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Isaak Davies, Keenan Patten, Sam Bowen, Jac Davies in the squad for a UEFA U16 Development Tournament which is now under way.
    Wales's first game ended Cyprus 1 Wales 1 (Wales win on penalties). The line up was a predominantly North Walian / Everton fest with none of our players in the starting eleven. Bodes well that Wales have strong numbers in a top academy at least.

Albania up next. Hopefully our lads will get some game time for this one.

Details here for the Cyprus game....

Thanks for that, it would explain why Patten (who' played for them already) and Isaak Davies didn't feature in the Under 23 squad on Monday

Blue in the Face

Thanks for that, it would explain why Patten (who' played for them already) and Isaak Davies didn't feature in the Under 23 squad on Monday
    Isaak and Sam Bowen started for the Welsh u16s 2nd game of the group. Another draw, 0-0 against Albania. Though this time Wales lost the penalties.

Something to do on what looks like being a wet Bank Holiday tomorrow

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...s-3699766.aspx

Blue in the Face

Wales come second in the group after another draw (1-1) against San Marino. Wales won on penalties.

Two Cardiff players fielded. One of either Isaak or Jac Davies. I'd guess the latter as he hadn't had any game time in the previous games. Also Sam Parsons was drafted into the squad and played. So five CCFC youngsters got some Welsh experience in all.

Something to do on what looks like being a wet Bank Holiday tomorrow

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...s-3699766.aspx
    Good game and a decent crowd yesterday. City won 3-1 in a match which became a bit like a rugby international by the end with endless substitutions and withdrawn players returning to the game, so there were obviously no points at stake, but it was still a competitive affair with City generally the better team technically against bigger and more powerful opponents - some of the lads who had been away on Wales duty were able to play some of the game.

The under-23s finished the season with a 3-2 loss at Watford (who we beat 7-1 a couple of months ago), goals for Ibrahim Meite and Mark Harris. A report here from the Watford site. No full City team given but Declan John played, as did the trialist Matthew Makinson again.

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/unde...2-cardiff-city

A few reports in Belgium linking Marco Weymans with a move to top division club Lokeren, I'll keep an eye on that.

Blue in the Face

Three Cardiff players in the first u21 squad from "intermediate" manager Robert Page. No surprises here with the selection.

Well done to Mark Harries, Rhys Abbruzzese and Cameron Coxe for making the squad.

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsit..._from=&ucat=7&

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Three Cardiff players in the first u21 squad from "intermediate" manager Robert Page. No surprises here with the selection.

Well done to Mark Harries, Rhys Abbruzzese and Cameron Coxe for making the squad.

http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsit..._from=&ucat=7&
    That's a new look squad, I don't think our three have been called up before but I could be wrong.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    That's a new look squad, I don't think our three have been called up before but I could be wrong.
    No they haven't going off memory. The reason I'm not surprised is because I think this is effectively an u20 squad to prep us for the year or so after this get together. The full backs options for the past couple of years have been Gethin Jones, Connor Roberts and Liam Shepherd on the right and Jordan Evans (Who's been let go by Fulham and Wrexham now) and Declan. Think they're all 21 now so the u19s got bumped up. Rhys and Cameron were regulars through the age groups and Harries had to be selected I feel given the way his season went.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39936999

David Brooks of Sheff Utd pulls out of Welsh squad, 10 mins later gets announce in England Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39936999

David Brooks of Sheff Utd pulls out of Welsh squad, 10 mins later gets announce in England Squad.

I suppose if he's English he's English but don't accept the invitation to play in for Wales if thats how you feel!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I suppose if he's English he's English but don't accept the invitation to play in for Wales if thats how you feel!
    Yep exactly,agree with Robbie Page about dual nationality players.
    Cant seem to find any info as too where he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yep exactly,agree with Robbie Page about dual nationality players.
    Cant seem to find any info as too where he was born.
    I reckon he switched allegiance cos Robert Page took him back to his hometown Tylorstown!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I reckon he switched allegiance cos Robert Page took him back to his hometown Tylorstown!
    One day kid all this could be yours...

Blue in the Face

Clark and Norrington-Davies have pulled out too, so our fullbacks should get loads of game time.

Found a couple of threads on the twitters about the Harrow Borough game today.

Team: Byrne, Bob Trialist, Weymans, Duffus, Alan Trialist, Young, M Harris, O'Keefe, Meite, Terry Trialist, John.

Subs: Coxe, Burwood, Veale, Christiano Trialist.

2-1 down at half time, Harris scored for us. Quote from twitter: 'Piss poor everywhere'.

More news as I get it (read it).

2-2 last minute free kick from Declan John. I bet Borough will be feeling rotten.

https://twitter.com/LDNBluebirds

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Found a couple of threads on the twitters about the Harrow Borough game today.

Team: Byrne, Bob Trialist, Weymans, Duffus, Alan Trialist, Young, M Harris, O'Keefe, Meite, Terry Trialist, John.

Subs: Coxe, Burwood, Veale, Christiano Trialist.

2-1 down at half time, Harris scored for us. Quote from twitter: 'Piss poor everywhere'.

More news as I get it (read it).
    I knew it!

Warnock's kept the Ronaldo connection very quiet. On the bench at Burton, I reckon.