+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Wales U17

Currently 1-0 up against Iceland if you want to kill some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=OPsw0xI2b9E

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

1-0 Wales at half time, City's Giles, Lawlor, Kpakio and Twose starting

As it stands Wales are heading to the finals

1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Squeaky bum time for the second year scholars this weekend
    Most of them have been with the club for several years before being given a scholarship
    They get their decisions as to whether they achieve a pro contract from Monday onwards
    Crossed fingers as rejection is savage 🫣
    It's always a harsh time for some. Hopefully those who miss out will find something elsewhere.

No point using wales age groups as a marker look at the players we’ve had playing for Wales this last 5 years who now can’t get a sniff at league level.

Sam Bowen has a shit load of wales age group caps he can’t get a sniff at a Newport.

Finished 1-1, Wales did everything but score in the closing minutes.

Personally I think Academy football is setting kids up for a fall. Hundreds of kids dreams destroyed to try and get that 1 player every few years.

Anyone who is good enough to make it at likes of Cardiff will just get poached by Cat A when they are 14/15.

I’d do what Brentford do and scrap the academy just pick up youngsters released by Cat A academy’s.

Re: Wales U17

The game is over now, although it's still available to watch. I don't know any of the players, but I was impressed by how well coached the Welsh players are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The game is over now, although it's still available to watch. I don't know any of the players, but I was impressed by how well coached the Welsh players are.
    There were posts about the game on City Academy and under 21 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There were posts about the game on City Academy and under 21 thread.
    Which thread is that?

Am I right in saying that the Welsh coaching staff want all of the teams playing the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Which thread is that?

Am I right in saying that the Welsh coaching staff want all of the teams playing the same way?
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...and-DVP-thread

I believe so - I thought they were unlucky today.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Personally I think Academy football is setting kids up for a fall. Hundreds of kids dreams destroyed to try and get that 1 player every few years.

Anyone who is good enough to make it at likes of Cardiff will just get poached by Cat A when they are 14/15.

I’d do what Brentford do and scrap the academy just pick up youngsters released by Cat A academy’s.
    Very interesting take on it, Is our Academy failing? It's not really producing a great deal of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Very interesting take on it, Is our Academy failing? It's not really producing a great deal of quality.
    The problem is the big boys can just come and nick the best ones now. You invest in kids from 7 to 14/15 and the big clubs just come in and turn their heads.

Look at they kid who’s just gone to Man U

I’m also old fashioned I think you should play local and play with your mates til your at least 14

I seen an advert the other day for trials for Swansea academy up on Merthyrs ground for under 5,6,7

Crackers

The problem is the big boys can just come and nick the best ones now. You invest in kids from 7 to 14/15 and the big clubs just come in and turn their heads.

Look at they kid who’s just gone to Man U

I’m also old fashioned I think you should play local and play with your mates til your at least 14
    I agree, although i'm an old bastard now! I do believe that from 17 onwards that young professionals should be playing against men, developed professionals, although that would mean bringing back the old reserve leagues, and that isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I agree, although i'm an old bastard now! I do believe that from 17 onwards that young professionals should be playing against men, developed professionals, although that would mean bringing back the old reserve leagues, and that isn't going to happen.
    Under 23s is a failed experiment

I blagged my way into the game with my boys, as I told the FAW people that the website said “free ticketless entry”, when apparently it meant “…for invited guests only”. We’d made a special trip over from Bristol to see the match.
    Cymru were the superior team with very good spells in possession and plenty of chances and like Bob said, unlucky not to have got more.
    Iceland’s equaliser was during the one good spell they had in the match and they had very loud/obnoxious fans!
    Gabriel Biancheri (11) only had about a 20 minute cameo this time, but he looked very good again, as did Charlie Crew (6) who was captain and bossed the midfield.
    From the current City boys, Ronan Kpakio (13) was a real handful, playing (I think) as a wingback on the left side.
    The starting line up also included Cody Twose (20), Dylan Lawlor (5) and Luey Giles (3).
    So that’s 4 current and two recently former Cardiff City players in the u17 lineup, which suggests that our academy is not all that bad after all.

There’s a lad playing for Merthyr who was with Swansea until he was 23 and made 1 sub appearance in cup. Jack Evans. Centre Mod. Absolutely quality I have no doubt he should be playing higher level. But he stayed in a championship academy until 23 and it’s only at the age of 24 he’s actually started playing against men.

I’m getting to the stage where you question whether Academy’s are worthwhile these days for clubs like City. I reckon that a rule should be brought in whereby a category 1 Academy side looking to offload a player they signed from another club in the manner that Leeds and Manchester United have done to us recently, should have to offer him to his former club at the price they paid for him - if the player wants to go somewhere else, then fair enough, but it would be a step towards bringing a bit of fairness back to the system.

Under 23s is a failed experiment
    I've watched a fair few u23 games and it's almost exhibition stuff, there's a lack of intensity and physicality that is prevalent in the professional game.

Not that often that I agree......but what you say is simply common sense.

I wouldn't want Cardiff to copy Brentford and a few others and get rid ot the academy altogether, but you couldn't blame them if they did, as with the current rules they're too in favour of the biggest teams.

if more and more teams follow suit then it would have a detrimental effect on the number of players coming through, as there would be fewer players getting coached at the important age groups.

I don't think we can rely on football league fixing this themselves, as the biggest clubs have too much power. I think this needs to come from FIFA, uefa or even national governments.

a step in the right direction would be mandatory sell on % for young players in proportion to the number of years they were coached at a particular club

Eli King & Rubin Colwill starting for Wales u21s against Scotland. Jake Dennis, Japhet Matondo, Will Spiers, Cole Fleming & Tanatswa Nyakuhwa starting for the u18s

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Eli King & Rubin Colwill starting for Wales u21s against Scotland. Jake Dennis, Japhet Matondo, Will Spiers, Cole Fleming & Tanatswa Nyakuhwa starting for the u18s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9x-Ty0rlc

u21s Wales 0 - 1 up v Scotland. Great pass from Colwill to set up the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9x-Ty0rlc

u21s Wales 0 - 1 up v Scotland. Great pass from Colwill to set up the goal.
    Half time Wales 2 - 0 up (Josh Farrell and Joe Low). Colwill strutting his stuff. King doing OK. Denham on the bench