+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 162 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Camp, Paterson and Pilkington all starting today.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityDVP?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    I don't recognise a few of the names in the Cardiff squad - maybe I'm just not paying attention, or have they signed a few out-of-contract trialists in recent times? Is Reynolds a new name? Also some of the bench players....?

Blue in the Face

The coverage of the sides we have below first team level is exactly the same on IFollow as it's been for years under the different names they've given schemes whereby you pay for video on the club's website - I'm used to it, so I think the coverage is certainly no worse than what I've watched on there for years. However, I'd say that the quality of coverage of and features on the first team is slightly worse on IFollow than it has been in the past - having just paid my increased subscription, I'd say IFollow is poorer value for someone like me who is a UK based City fan.
    My gripe is born out of jealousy. Ifollow is like for like with Player on the City front. I'm just envious of other clubs who have substantially more youth content than us, showing us is can be done. I'm sure the extra subscribers we could garner from this kind of content could offset the cost of producing it.

Blue in the Face

Cardiff DVP 2-1 up against Charlton after half an hour. Pilks scores from Veale's corner. Mark Harris made his own penalty.

Sounds like a cracker this afternoon. City went from 2-0 up to 3-2 down, Pilkington then missed a penalty to equalise and has just scored to make it 3-3 with 20 minutes left.

Pilks hat trick. 4-3 city!

Amazing game, City started well and looked set for a big win when Pilkington and Harris (pen) scored inside the first fifteen minutes, but Charlton have dominated the Under 18 and Under 23 leagues for some time and are always strong opponents - they quickly got it back to 2-1.

Then, with the game not half an hour old, Mark Harris was shown a straight red card, while the Charlton player involved got a yellow (sorry to do a Wenger, but I genuinely didn't see the incident). Charlton quickly leveled and only one outcome seemed possible at that time.

City made it to half time all square though and then came out to dominate the opening stages of the second period only for the visitors to go in front against the run of play.

There was more drama then when Cameron Coxe was brought down. At first it looked like the ref had played an advantage, but then he awarded City a free kick on the edge of the box when it had seemed obvious that the offence had taken place inside the box. After consulting his linesman, the ref changed his mind and pointed to the spot only for the Charlton keeper to guess right and make a fine save from Pilk's pen.

Pilkington was to have the last laugh though as he, first, equalised following a lovely bit of skill and a shot that took a deflection and then he completed his hat trick when he jumped for a high ball with the keeper who dropped it and presented him with a tap in for his hat trick.

City held on for the win, but deep into added time, Ryan Reynolds (jon, Reynolds is a Welsh youth international who we signed after he was released by Everton) suffered what seemed to be a serious injury in innocuous circumstances as he stretched to try and intercept a pass. The lengthy treatment he received meant that the second half had gone on for more than an hour and it was desperate luck on the youngster that there was only time for Charlton to take a free kick when the game eventually restarted before the final whistle blew.

Charlton may have had the benefit of some decisions (e.g. when the ref showed leniency to the player he booked in the Harris incident after a show of petulance shortly after his side went 4-3 down), but, on another day, the winning goal could easily have been disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

I've got to congratulate the two outfield senior players in the team as well for their brilliant attitude throughout - Callum Paterson came through a clash of heads so loud that we heard it fifty yards away and played the ninety minutes (actually it was more like one hundred and five!), while Pilks showed his commitment by haranguing the linesman for not disallowing Charlton's first goal for offside - it was great entertainment, made more enjoyable by the company I had, but I hope Reynold's injury isn't as bad as it looked.

Blog article on yesterday's game.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blog article on yesterday's game.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Thanks for another good match review, and also for the comment on Reynolds (hope the injury isn't as bad as it sounds).

Thanks Bob. Someone else I know who was there also commented on how good Pilkington and Patterson's attitude were yesterday.

He said they proper took charge and this is great to hear particularly in the case of Pilkington whose attitude I have often wondered about.

I hope this attitude earns him a place in the squad again.

A question for TOBW or anyone else who was at the game. Whilst Paterson's attitude is being praised, which is pleasing to know, is there any indication from what you have seen that, when fit, Paterson will live up to his billing and walk into the first team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A question for TOBW or anyone else who was at the game. Whilst Paterson's attitude is being praised, which is pleasing to know, is there any indication from what you have seen that, when fit, Paterson will live up to his billing and walk into the first team ?
    To be frank, he looked miles off first team level when I watched him a fortnight ago, but that was his first game in nine months, so it was hardly surprising. Yesterday it was obvious that he has come on a lot since then and he was something of an inspirational figure (captain Jamie Veale called him his idol in a post match Instagram message!).

I wouldn't be surprised if Paterson is seen on the sub's bench pretty soon after the international break (his versatility will help in that regard) and, to hear what Warnock has been saying about him since he signed for us, you'd think it wouldn't be long before he was our first choice right back, but that would mean him displacing Peltier who I reckon has been one of the first names on the team sheet since our manager arrived nearly a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I wasn't there but I'll be interested in the answer too. As TOBW pointed out last week, Paterson has a reputation as an attacking right-back yet Warnock seems very happy with Peltier there and doesnt seem that keen on the whole idea of full-backs pushing on. It's crossed my mind that Paterson may have been bought to play as a wing back in the five at the back system we started the season with (but abandoned before the end of the first game).

He certainly looks like a 'Warnock player', big and strong. He knocked some kid flying in the u-23s game the other day, it was like a hit-and-run incident. The kid was lying on the floor looking up to see what sized truck had just wiped him out. Paterson was walking away arguing with the ref that it wasn't even a foul and that the kid had only gone down because he was a lightweight. Didn't surprise me at all to read that he'd played on after yesterday's clash of heads while the other player was stretchered off.

The youth team beat Ely Rangers 5-1 in the FAW Youth Cup

Fair play to who Ely took the lead and took the game to extra time

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thanks for another good match review, and also for the comment on Reynolds (hope the injury isn't as bad as it sounds).
    Reynolds has just been named in the latest Wales u19 squad so let's hope that means the player/club have been contacted and his injury hasn't turned out as bad as feared.

Thanks for the double report TOBW. Sounded like a great game. Great to hear about Pilks' attitude as Gringo says. We may need a renaissance man if we have injuries to our key men Hoilett and NML.

Blue in the Face

U19 SQUAD ANNOUNCED FOR SWITZERLAND TEST

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/u19-squ...en/news/&pos=3

The Men's Under 19 squad has been announced for two forthcoming international friendly matches against Switzerland early next month. The two matches against the Swiss will be played at the Corbett Sports Stadium in Rhyl on 3 and 5 October. The first encounter will kick off at 5:00pm and the second at 3:00pm.

Paul Bodin will be in charge of the team and will be expecting a tough test against Switzerland.

The Squad is as follows:

George Ratcliffe (Cardiff City)
    Adam Przybek (West Bromwich Albion)
    Adam Sharif (Cardiff City)
    Billy Sass-Davies (Crewe Alexandra)
    Brandon Cooper (Swansea City)
    Jack Bodenham (Cardiff City)
    Mitchell Clark (Aston Villa)
    Rhys Norrington Davies (Sheffield United)
    Joe Lewis (Swansea City)
    Ryan Reynolds (Cardiff City)
    Ryan Stirk (Birmingham City)
    Dylan Levitt (Manchester United)
    Sion Spence (Cardiff City)
    Kieran Evans (Swansea City)
    Mason Jones Thomas (Swansea City)
    James Waite (Cardiff City)
    James Spruce (Bristol Rovers)
    Daniel Mooney (Fleetwood Town)
    Liam Cullen (Swansea City)
    Momodou Touray (Newport County)

Blue in the Face

WALES U21 SQUAD NAMED FOR EURO QUALIFIER

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...en/news/&pos=2

Robert Page has named an 18-man squad as Wales Under-21s prepare to face Liechtenstein next month in a UEFA European Championship Qualifier.
    Wales travel to Liechtenstein on October 5 as they look to returning to winning ways.

Page’s side kicked off the campaign with a superb 3-0 victory over Switzerland last month before a 2-0 defeat against Portugal four days later.

Page is without the suspended Chris Mepham for the trip to Liechtenstein, so there’s a recall for Swansea City defender Cian Harries, while there’s a first Under-21 call-up for young Manchester City striker Rabbi Matondo.

WALES U21 SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS: Luke Pilling (Tranmere Rovers), Owen Evans (Wigan Athletic).

DEFENDERS: Cola Dasilva (Chelsea), Cameron Coxe (Cardiff City), Cian Harries (Swansea City), Regan Poole (Manchester United)*, Aron Davies (Fulham), Rhys Abbruzzese (Cardiff City), Joe Rodon (Swansea City)

MIDFIELDERS: Matthew Smith (Manchester City), Nathan Broadhead (Everton), Jack Evans (Swansea City), Mark Harris (Cardiff City),

FORWARDS: Tyler Roberts (West Bromwich Albion), George Thomas (Leicester City), Daniel James (Swansea City), Rabbi Matondo (Manchester City), Liam Cullen (Swansea City).

*Regan Poole currently on loan with Northampton Town

Blue in the Face

U18 | City 6-2 QPR

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-city-6-2-qpr/

FAW Youth Cup | Ely Rangers 1-4 City AET

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...y-rangers-aet/

Looked like Ely gave us a good game from the highlights. Well done to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    U19 SQUAD ANNOUNCED FOR SWITZERLAND TEST

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/u19-squ...en/news/&pos=3

The Men's Under 19 squad has been announced for two forthcoming international friendly matches against Switzerland early next month. The two matches against the Swiss will be played at the Corbett Sports Stadium in Rhyl on 3 and 5 October. The first encounter will kick off at 5:00pm and the second at 3:00pm.

Paul Bodin will be in charge of the team and will be expecting a tough test against Switzerland.

The Squad is as follows:

George Ratcliffe (Cardiff City)
    Adam Przybek (West Bromwich Albion)
    Adam Sharif (Cardiff City)
    Billy Sass-Davies (Crewe Alexandra)
    Brandon Cooper (Swansea City)
    Jack Bodenham (Cardiff City)
    Mitchell Clark (Aston Villa)
    Rhys Norrington Davies (Sheffield United)
    Joe Lewis (Swansea City)
    Ryan Reynolds (Cardiff City)
    Ryan Stirk (Birmingham City)
    Dylan Levitt (Manchester United)
    Sion Spence (Cardiff City)
    Kieran Evans (Swansea City)
    Mason Jones Thomas (Swansea City)
    James Waite (Cardiff City)
    James Spruce (Bristol Rovers)
    Daniel Mooney (Fleetwood Town)
    Liam Cullen (Swansea City)
    Momodou Touray (Newport County)

We were 2-0 down but won 4-3 in the last minute.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Cheers Gringo. Really good turn around that. Of our lads only Waite started. So hopefully the other lads well start in the second game in two days.

Bad news is Ryan Reynolds looks like he was replaced with Pablo Martinez so maybe his injury was quite serious after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Cheers Gringo. Really good turn around that. Of our lads only Waite started. So hopefully the other lads well start in the second game in two days.

Bad news is Ryan Reynolds looks like he was replaced with Pablo Martinez so maybe his injury was quite serious after all.
    Most of the City lads didn’t start due to the amount of football they have played recently,especially with the cup game going to extra time.Hopefully,as you say,most of them will start on Thursday.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    Most of the City lads didn’t start due to the amount of football they have played recently,especially with the cup game going to extra time.Hopefully,as you say,most of them will start on Thursday.
    Good to have your insight on the youth players Bruce. I had noticed that a few players are turning out for both the DVP and and the u18s over the past two months. On the one hand it would be appealing to just have the players who are ready prioritise the DVP team only, but getting games under Bellamy's tutelage for the u18s must be really beneficial.

Switzerland have done well at age group football in the last decade or so and for Wales to have beaten them at Under 21 and Under 19 level this season is really good news - when and where are the Under 21s going to play at home in their qualifying group?

Better than that, according to my twitter, we were 3-1 down with 5 mins left!!

Switzerland have done well at age group football in the last decade or so and for Wales to have beaten them at Under 21 and Under 19 level this season is really good news - when and where are the Under 21s going to play at home in their qualifying group?
    The answer to when is Bosnia on November 10th and Romania on November 14th. I haven't got a clue where!

Cheers Gringo, can't see either of them being in Cardiff, but I'd like to be able to watch one of them if I could.