+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Thanks again! Perhaps the uneventful performance can be forgiven seeing that line up changed so much for the DVPers of late...

Sounds like we were playing three centre backs again. Is that right? Perhaps this is the formation which best suits Tom James if anyone in the DVP
    Yes, they did play three at the back and I agree that it is a system which suits Tom James - he got forward once or twice in open play in the closing stages. However, having used the three at the back system with some success earlier in the season, it's been like watching the first team try to play it in the two home matches they've played in the past eight days - no goals and no real suggestion of them, certainly not from our striker(s) who have looked as isolated as those in the first team do.

Sorry, but I've seen little to commend from the City in the last two home games - the Warnock effect has definitely not reached the Development team yet.

https://youtu.be/HsmE1pNNLgk

That's a great goal to be fair

Contrary to many on here I'm not a big fan of Kevin Nicholson.

I don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but all he and Michael Johnson do is tweet about Derby fecking County!

I find it bizarre that he does this unchallenged when he has such a prominent role at our club.

Add to this that I noticed last season if the first team lost (for example) 3-2 he would set up a question and answer session on twitter about defending and if we drew 0-0 he would set up a question and answer session a with the subject on how to break teams down!!!

I don't think someone with such a position should be undermining the management on social media.

He has taken a lot of the plaudits yet his dvp team often fielded experience pro's like Saadi, Ameobi, Kennedy, etc as well as players like Wharton, O'Sullivan etc who are of an age where they should be playing first team football.

They often played against teams full of 18 and 19 year olds so I would expect them to win.

I know it's not his fault that we still have players in their early 20s at the club who still have no prospect of breaking through to the first team but I'm just highlighting some of the reasons for last year's perceived success.

The team he played on the weekend should be the type of team that played against Barnsley is what DVP squad should look like in my opinion. I fear the horse has already bolted for Wharton, O'Sullivan and Co and we should be looking to push through players like Harris, Coxe, Abbruzzese etc to see if they can push on.

Blue in the Face

Here are the club websites write ups on the DVP/Academy games. (Both written by a guy called Alex Cutler)

DVP: CARDIFF CITY 0-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC
    http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3369304.aspx?

U18 | CARDIFF CITY 4-1 CREWE ALEXANDRA
    http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3365871.aspx?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, they did play three at the back and I agree that it is a system which suits Tom James - he got forward once or twice in open play in the closing stages. However, having used the three at the back system with some success earlier in the season, it's been like watching the first team try to play it in the two home matches they've played in the past eight days - no goals and no real suggestion of them, certainly not from our striker(s) who have looked as isolated as those in the first team do.

Sorry, but I've seen little to commend from the City in the last two home games - the Warnock effect has definitely not reached the Development team yet.
    I'm glad you give an honest account of the performances. What's the use of not being any other way? Trust is probably why lots of folks look to your blog for your viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Contrary to many on here I'm not a big fan of Kevin Nicholson.

I don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but all he and Michael Johnson do is tweet about Derby fecking County!

I find it bizarre that he does this unchallenged when he has such a prominent role at our club.

Add to this that I noticed last season if the first team lost (for example) 3-2 he would set up a question and answer session on twitter about defending and if we drew 0-0 he would set up a question and answer session a with the subject on how to break teams down!!!

I don't think someone with such a position should be undermining the management on social media.

He has taken a lot of the plaudits yet his dvp team often fielded experience pro's like Saadi, Ameobi, Kennedy, etc as well as players like Wharton, O'Sullivan etc who are of an age where they should be playing first team football.

They often played against teams full of 18 and 19 year olds so I would expect them to win.

I know it's not his fault that we still have players in their early 20s at the club who still have no prospect of breaking through to the first team but I'm just highlighting some of the reasons for last year's perceived success.

The team he played on the weekend should be the type of team that played against Barnsley is what DVP squad should look like in my opinion. I fear the horse has already bolted for Wharton, O'Sullivan and Co and we should be looking to push through players like Harris, Coxe, Abbruzzese etc to see if they can push on.
    Gringo, you'll be in a much better position than me to judge Nicholson as you see the DVP/Acedemy games in full. But I have to add to your skepticism on his public persona. I've always thought he talks in football cliches and fails to be his own man. Another issue is that Nicholson isn't coming from a position of being an ex-pro. If he is to be a great manager in the making then fine, there are other ways to become a good coach/manager than the ex-player route.

But I am concerned that the likes of O'Sullivan, who does have talent, has stagnated over the past two years because perhaps they don't have the ex-pro mentor. Can we honestly say that Tommy looks a better player under Nicholson than he did under Ardley? I think Tommy is a good example because he's exactly the type who has shown the potential to come good if coached correctly. I've felt for a while that if Tommy had more urgency drilled into his game, he could be playing at a decent level by now. He certainly should've been in a position where a league club was demanding to take him on loan, which would've been beneficial to all.

Blue in the Face

Triffic away win for the DVPers tonight. Here's the team...

O'Reilly, Rees, Abbruzzese, Baker, Blaise, James, Southam, Patten, Phipps, O'Sullivan, Weymans.

subs: Menayese, Byrne, Welch, Wharton.

Ipswich match report...

TOWN U23S 0 CARDIFF 1
    http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2...-3382141.aspx?

Looks like a very good result at Ipswich considering that they seem to have had 4 first teamers involved to City's none.

Best result of the season for the Development team I'd say - according to the club website, they're back playing at Cardiff City Stadium with 7 o clock Monday kick offs with a match against Palace next week.

Regarding Kevin Nicholson, I'm not going to let the development team's coaching staffs' decision to get me moved when I was stood in their eye line seventy yards away to influence me - I'm bigger than that, but I truly believe he should be sacked when he turns up for work next .

I must say though that anybody who is doing the job he's got at a football club that has not produced a first team player through it's ranks for over three years, must, surely, attract questions as to their effectiveness - it may not be all down to him (having Slade in charge did him no favours), but it doesn't look good.

Even an Ipswich site is conceding that our Under 23s were good value for their win - in fact, it sounds like we should have scored more;-

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/30509/?

Even an Ipswich site is conceding that our Under 23s were good value for their win - in fact, it sounds like we should have scored more;-

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/30509/?
    That's was a good report from our point of view Bob and it's excellent to see the youngsters being tested against what looked like a strong Ipswich side.

The comments below are even more heartening. They claim to be a club that are stale and said lot of the comments echo where we were under Slades.
    They view us as a club on the up and they view Warnock as a manager who will take us to the players offs

I asked this in a different thread but worth asking again. Do the DVP and academy games get played at Treforest any more?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I asked this in a different thread but worth asking again. Do the DVP and academy games get played at Treforest any more?
    If you click on the first link in the opening post it states where the DVP fixtures have been played so far this season which seems to be all at the CCS.

This link gives the info for the academy...
    http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/fixtu...demy_fixtures/

Some of the info may be wrong and the venue has been known to change last minute. Hopefully TOBW /Gringo will see your post and have more info for you.

Someone answered you mate. The academy play at Treforest but the dvp play at the Vale, Leckwith or the CCS

Someone answered you mate. The academy play at Treforest but the dvp play at the Vale, Leckwith or the CCS
    Think the Academy Under 16s and 18s are playing at Leckwith from now on.

Cheers all

Blue in the Face

Cardiff City's U19 side host Tredegar Town in the FAW Youth Cup Round Two on Sunday, 30th October 2016, 2pm kick-off at Leckwith International Stadium.
    http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3385917.aspx?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Cardiff City's U19 side host Tredegar Town in the FAW Youth Cup Round Two on Sunday, 30th October 2016, 2pm kick-off at Leckwith International Stadium.
    http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3385917.aspx?
    9-1 win.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...n-3391562.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Best part of this excellent win is that Mark Harris (scorer of four goals) is from Swansea.
    Seeing as they have scouts all over in Cardiff (allegedly) it's nice to see us pinch one of theirs

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Best part of this excellent win is that Mark Harris (scorer of four goals) is from Swansea.
    Seeing as they have scouts all over in Cardiff (allegedly) it's nice to see us pinch one of theirs
    Harris is in the latest Welsh u19 squad too in which Cardiff players outnumber that of Swansea

Blue in the Face

Rhys Healey's excellent goal from the weekend for Newport County. Jazzi with the 2nd. Rhys sets up Welsh u21 Josh Sheehan with the 3rd.

Match report here...
    http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/spo..._County_boss/?

My take on last night's 3-0 win over Palace for a Development team that I think could well have beaten the eleven we started with on Saturday.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blue in the Face

My take on last night's 3-0 win over Palace for a Development team that I think could well have beaten the eleven we started with on Saturday.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Really thorough write up. Triffic! Lots of food for thought here. Really encouraging, especially in your conclusion. Nice to hear a voice saying that Zahore shouldn't be written off yet. Too easily us fans tend to herd towards popular opinion in criticising players. Hopefully Zahore proves to be a more determined character than evidence may have suggested and he can progress.

I wouldn't want to speculate on the coaching situation for this game, but this seems like a massive experimental exercise in more ways than one.

I must admit, I hadn't checked on the DVP (u23) fixtures before seeing Loramski's thread on this and presumed it was an arranged, behind closed doors friendly, arranged for the benefit of our senior players and assumed that the personnel in this team were older than they actually are. But actually only Immers, Murphy and Freddy being over 23. It makes you realise that Cardiff could probably smash this u23 league if winning was the objective with the likes of experienced young players like Huws, Harris, Tutonda, Ajayi and Kennedy available.

Good to see Tutonda back. There's way too much competion at the club at left back and so either John or Tutonda are really going to need a loan come January, injuries aside.

Starting line up - Murphy, James, John, Huws, Manga, Ajayi, Harris, Kennedy, Gounongbe, Immers, Zohore.

Subs - Tutonda, O’Reilly, Baker, Wharton, O’Sullivan.

Palace write up here...
    http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/2...-3394024.aspx?
    .................................................. ................

Also Cardiff have drawn Swansea in the u19 FAW cup. The third round tie is set to be played on or before Sunday, November 20, with a venue to be confirmed. Some details here...

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/arti...-3394223.aspx?

I went to watch the u18s yesterday in a game where Cardiff won 3-0 and we're the most comfortable I have seen them all season.

Watford didn't have one opportunity all game apart from a good penalty shout. Cardiff also had a good penalty shout turned down too.

Some very good goals in the game and I will see that Mark Harris was the stand out player and if there is one player who must be close to making the bench for the first team from the academy it's got to be him.

His two goals yesterday were outstanding and his all round play was very good too.
    Two half chances two goals.

I think the u16s won comfortably too.

Blue in the Face

I went to watch the u18s yesterday in a game where Cardiff won 3-0 and we're the most comfortable I have seen them all season.

Watford didn't have one opportunity all game apart from a good penalty shout. Cardiff also had a good penalty shout turned down too.

Some very good goals in the game and I will see that Mark Harris was the stand out player and if there is one player who must be close to making the bench for the first team from the academy it's got to be him.

His two goals yesterday were outstanding and his all round play was very good too.
    Two half chances two goals.

I think the u16s won comfortably too.
    Nice one Gringo.

I like what I've seen of Harris. He seems to have a good football brain. It would be nice if we can produce a decent forward player for once.

City's Development team play at Turf Moor today against Burnley in a Premier League Cup match, kick off at noon.

Besides Burnley, City are in a group with Sunderland and Blackburn - they drew 1-1 with Sunderland at Cardiff City Stadium in their only game in the competition so far.

It'll be interesting to see if City go with as many first team squad members as they did against Palace last week - my guess is that it will be more like the normal side you see at this level this time.

City's Development team play at Turf Moor today against Burnley in a Premier League Cup match, kick off at noon.

Besides Burnley, City are in a group with Sunderland and Blackburn - they drew 1-1 with Sunderland at Cardiff City Stadium in their only game in the competition so far.

It'll be interesting to see if City go with as many first team squad members as they did against Palace last week - my guess is that it will be more like the normal side you see at this level this time.
    O'Reilly, Menayese, Baker, James, Rees, Abbruzzese, Tutonda, Southam, Weymans, O'Sullivan, Phipps