+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 162 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Wales under 19s & 21s both lost 2-0 today. The four City lads who played on Sunday for the u-19s were rested today while Isaak Davies started. Ryan Reynolds came on as a sub but was carried off. Cameron Coxe started for the u-21s.

Lee Tomlin sent off in the twenty fifth minute in today's Development team game at Coventry - we lost 3-0 and this season is already showing worrying signs of going the same way as last year at this level.

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2018/sep...-cardiff-u23s/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Lee Tomlin sent off in the twenty fifth minute in today's Development team game at Coventry - we lost 3-0 and this season is already showing worrying signs of going the same way as last year at this level.

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2018/sep...-cardiff-u23s/
    We put a strong team out to be fair, Tomlin, Connolly and Pilkington, as well as Coxe and Meite, all started. Over an hour with ten men did for us there I assume. We seem to be taking it a bit more seriously this season although the results aren't reflecting it yet, at least the trialist free-for-all has abated for now.

The Academy boys lost 1-0 at Bristol City this morning. No Sion Spence in the squad, I wasn't aware of him picking up an injury on international duty but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough why he wasn't playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The Academy boys lost 1-0 at Bristol City this morning. No Sion Spence in the squad, I wasn't aware of him picking up an injury on international duty but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough why he wasn't playing.
    Or maybe we won't. A report here on the Academy game but Spence's absence doesn't get mentioned. I'd like to think he was part of the match day squad that travelled to Chelsea but there's no point in speculating.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-cardiff-city/

A report on the DVP defeat at Coventry too. Tomlin was sent off for dissent after receiving a yellow from what I can make out.

Both performances appeared decent enough to be fair. Hard to judge the DVP one as they played with 10 men for over an hour but they seem to have settled on a squad of around 16 and with a couple of players coming back from injury too we might get more of an idea about the quality we've got at that level now there seems to be some kind of structure there.

A 1-0 defeat to Palace for the u-18s this morning. Excellent game, two good keepers kept it down to one goal and City were unlucky to lose it late on. Our two strikers were a handful all game, Dan Griffiths in particular, and Ryan Reynolds and Joel Bagan impressed at the back although there were other good performances too. Rubin Colwill did a Maupay in the first half which not only cost us a goal but seemed to affect his confidence, he'd looked good until then. No Sion Spence again.

A 1-0 defeat to Palace for the u-18s this morning. Excellent game, two good keepers kept it down to one goal and City were unlucky to lose it late on. Our two strikers were a handful all game, Dan Griffiths in particular, and Ryan Reynolds and Joel Bagan impressed at the back although there were other good performances too. Rubin Colwill did a Maupay in the first half which not only cost us a goal but seemed to affect his confidence, he'd looked good until then. No Sion Spence again.
    Agreed, a far, far better game of football than the one I watched a few hours later.

The Development team are at home to Millwall today kick off at 1 o clock according to the club website - the game is at Leckwith.

The Development team are at home to Millwall today kick off at 1 o clock according to the club website - the game is at Leckwith.
    2-2 draw, Kadeem Harris with both the goals. Him & Damour played the ninety minutes. Looking forward to TOBW's write-up, we'll have to make do with this for now.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-2-2-millwall/

2-2 draw, Kadeem Harris with both the goals. Him & Damour played the ninety minutes. Looking forward to TOBW's write-up, we'll have to make do with this for now.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-2-2-millwall/
    Not sure you could call Harris a former Brentford man because he was on loan there!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not sure you could call Harris a former Brentford man because he was on loan there!
    Yes, that's a bit random. I'll be interested to hear how he did today, it's seemed a bit daft having him in the 25 if he can't even make the bench when we're short in his position. Same goes for Damour. Do we really need three defenders on the bench?

My take on the latest giveaway from 2-0 up by the Development team.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

My take on the latest giveaway from 2-0 up by the Development team.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Thanks for that. I'm not quite sure why but the expression 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee' comes to mind looking at the DVP team. We've now got a squad of contracted players and the continuity that should come from that will hopefully enable the better players to kick on, stand out at that level and push for a first team place. That's surely the aim more than just results. Certain things don't quite make sense though and it feels like the whole thing is a compromise to try and keep everyone happy.

We've got a first team manager who likes wide players but there don't seem to be any at under-23 level, apart from the permanently injured Jack McKay, yet there's a plethora of centre halves and central midfielders to the point where Paul McKay, a centre-back who we recently gave a long contract to, has to play at right back, even though we released a right back who now starts regularly in the Championship, signed another one and still have Cameron Coxe here. I saw someone mention on here that Coxe was lined up to go to Yeovil and maybe that was the plan until the Tom James (another right back we released) transfer fell through but it's still a bit confusing.

The Academy played a very smooth, well organised 3-5-2 on Saturday and seem to be developing well. Should the under-23s be used as a continuation of the good work being done at that level or solely as preparation for an old school first team manager who, despite all his success, suddenly seems a bit confused about systems and formations and will be 70 in a couple of months? It's a big question and such a difficult one to answer that it's hardly surprising the under 23 set-up looks more like a camel than a horse at present.

Thanks for that. I'm not quite sure why but the expression 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee' comes to mind looking at the DVP team. We've now got a squad of contracted players and the continuity that should come from that will hopefully enable the better players to kick on, stand out at that level and push for a first team place. That's surely the aim more than just results. Certain things don't quite make sense though and it feels like the whole thing is a compromise to try and keep everyone happy.

We've got a first team manager who likes wide players but there don't seem to be any at under-23 level, apart from the permanently injured Jack McKay, yet there's a plethora of centre halves and central midfielders to the point where Paul McKay, a centre-back who we recently gave a long contract to, has to play at right back, even though we released a right back who now starts regularly in the Championship, signed another one and still have Cameron Coxe here. I saw someone mention on here that Coxe was lined up to go to Yeovil and maybe that was the plan until the Tom James (another right back we released) transfer fell through but it's still a bit confusing.

The Academy played a very smooth, well organised 3-5-2 on Saturday and seem to be developing well. Should the under-23s be used as a continuation of the good work being done at that level or solely as preparation for an old school first team manager who, despite all his success, suddenly seems a bit confused about systems and formations and will be 70 in a couple of months? It's a big question and such a difficult one to answer that it's hardly surprising the under 23 set-up looks more like a camel than a horse at present.
    Based on yesterday, you would say that Kadeem Harris might, only might, be able to do a job for the first team, but there was no one else on show who looked worthy of consideration. With all of the defensive problems we have been having lately, you would have thought Matt Connolly would have been a possibility, but he wasn't very good yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised if he was having, understandable, problems in motivating himself to play on Monday afternoons in front about 50 people. Loic Damour did some good things, but I would say he did his first team chances a lot of harm against Norwich and I can't see matches against Millwall reserves overcoming the damage he did to his cause that night.

Although they've lost their last two games, the contrast between the Academy team and the Under 23s is a stark one this season and it's a concern that what looks to be a good crop of 16 to 18 year olds we have coming through will have nowhere to go to continue their development in a couple of years time unless there is a radical change in thinking at the club when it comes to considering young players as possible first teamers.

Based on yesterday, you would say that Kadeem Harris might, only might, be able to do a job for the first team, but there was no one else on show who looked worthy of consideration. With all of the defensive problems we have been having lately, you would have thought Matt Connolly would have been a possibility, but he wasn't very good yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised if he was having, understandable, problems in motivating himself to play on Monday afternoons in front about 50 people. Loic Damour did some good things, but I would say he did his first team chances a lot of harm against Norwich and I can't see matches against Millwall reserves overcoming the damage he did to his cause that night.

Although they've lost their last two games, the contrast between the Academy team and the Under 23s is a stark one this season and it's a concern that what looks to be a good crop of 16 to 18 year olds we have coming through will have nowhere to go to continue their development in a couple of years time unless there is a radical change in thinking at the club when it comes to considering young players as possible first teamers.
    Which, I'm sure, is exactly the point that Bellamy has been making to the club over and over again. To be fair, I think (hope?) the under-23 set-up is starting to move in the right direction now. There seems to be a settled squad of around 16 contracted players at last and the more they train and play together the more things should improve.

As I said, the balance of that squad isn't great but at least we seem to be moving away from the endless changes & trials that have dogged that age group this year. Most of the lads are only on short term contracts, I think, so there's every incentive for them to impress quickly. Those that don't will presumably make way for the Academy lads coming up next year. Now we've just got to hope they won't be expected to play the kind of parks football that they were moving towards last season. How's the style of play been this season so far?

Which, I'm sure, is exactly the point that Bellamy has been making to the club over and over again. To be fair, I think (hope?) the under-23 set-up is starting to move in the right direction now. There seems to be a settled squad of around 16 contracted players at last and the more they train and play together the more things should improve.

As I said, the balance of that squad isn't great but at least we seem to be moving away from the endless changes & trials that have dogged that age group this year. Most of the lads are only on short term contracts, I think, so there's every incentive for them to impress quickly. Those that don't will presumably make way for the Academy lads coming up next year. Now we've just got to hope they won't be expected to play the kind of parks football that they were moving towards last season. How's the style of play been this season so far?
    I've not seen any improvements in style of play from last season yet and I've also not seen anything to indicate that the team has improved from what we had when we were picking locally produced youngsters - in fact, performance and results have dipped significantly at this level since Neil Warnock arrived. We may have a bit of continuity in selection this season and, eventually, that may lead to improvements, but potential first team footballers? I don't see that happening for a couple of reasons, first, City don't give first team debuts in league matches to anyone who hasn't been signed recently these days and, second, although I still have some hopes for Cameron Coxe if they stopped using him as a (f)utility player, there's no one at that level playing well enough to break through into senior football at league level.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i do read this thread with interest and admire your posts along with bob but to me the whole academy and u-23 development is dead in the water bringing players through to the first team not just with the city but all pro clubs . is there any point running academys anymore with the costs involved ?

Two words for you Mozzer - Swansea Town

Most of their squad come from their 18s and 23s

Do the U18's play over treforest?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Do the U18's play over treforest?
    Leckwith usually mate. The academy have a Twitter page

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Leckwith usually mate. The academy have a Twitter page
    Cheers Gringo, is it just the kids playing over treforest then?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Cheers Gringo, is it just the kids playing over treforest then?

The 16s and 18s occasionally play there but it's usually the 9s to 14s on Sunday mornings.

A report on the under-23s game at QPR here with some reaction from Jarred Harvey and James Waite.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...r-the-players/

A 3-2 defeat at Coventry today for the under-18s, Reynolds and Bowen with the goals. Four regulars missing, including Sion Spence, but they went ahead twice and Bowen had a late penalty saved, a point would've taken them top.

Rhys Healey scored for MK Dons today in their 3-0 win over Cheltenham, his third goal for them. The MK Citizen said he was excellent, who am I to argue?

Rhys Healey scored for MK Dons today in their 3-0 win over Cheltenham, his third goal for them. The MK Citizen said he was excellent, who am I to argue?
    I'm not sure where Rhys imagined he'd be now when he made a Premier League appearance for us against Chelsea as a teenager in 2014 but I doubt turning out for MK Dons against Cheltenham featured too heavily in his dreams. As I've said before on here though, he commits fully to every loan move he makes and seems to earn everyone's respect. More positive comments about him here, even though he missed a couple of one-on-ones yesterday.

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport...goal-1-8659861