+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 162 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

James Waite scored the second goal

Finished 3-1. Very encouraging, second half in particular. Kennedy was terrific and deserved his goal, Declan John linked up well with him for Healey's goal and had a strong ninety minutes, Healey was sharp and Ajayi looked after Cameron Coxe well and was unlucky that his only mistake cost a goal. Some excellent football, Waite was the pick of the 'youngsters' and deserved his goal but everybody played their part. Meite got half an hour at the end but couldn't quite get into the game, not for want of trying though. An enjoyable game.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Finished 3-1. Very encouraging, second half in particular. Kennedy was terrific and deserved his goal, Declan John linked up well with him for Healey's goal and had a strong ninety minutes, Healey was sharp and Ajayi looked after Cameron Coxe well and was unlucky that his only mistake cost a goal. Some excellent football, Waite was the pick of the 'youngsters' and deserved his goal but everybody played their part. Meite got half an hour at the end but couldn't quite get into the game, not for want of trying though. An enjoyable game.

Blue in the Face

Really encouraging.

Who was calling the shots in the dugout by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Really encouraging.

Who was calling the shots in the dugout by the way?
    The u18s coach Jarrad Harvey

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The u18s coach Jarrad Harvey
    Gracias Gringo!

A very enjoyable game last night - here's my report on it.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Was "OUR NEIL" there ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Was "OUR NEIL" there ?
    I didn't see him or Blackwell but when Halford got injured near the end there was a lot of signalling up to the stand to determine whether he should be treated, to try and complete the 90 minutes, or be brought off. Obviously someone from the first team set-up was there to make that decision but I couldn't see who it was.

There's a bit of press speculation that Cardiff might offer a player + cash for Jonny Hayes in an improved bid - and that Matt Kennedy might be that player. Maybe nothing to it - but it's hard to see Kennedy forcing his way into the first team at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There's a bit of press speculation that Cardiff might offer a player + cash for Jonny Hayes in an improved bid - and that Matt Kennedy might be that player. Maybe nothing to it - but it's hard to see Kennedy forcing his way into the first team at the moment.
    I notice from his never-ending tweets at the bottom of the page (his goal from last night is there today, an excellent free kick) that he seems to return to Scotland a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if his next move is back there. So good last night, what a talent. Such a shame he hasn't made it here. I'm sure he's brought it on himself to a degree but when you think of the chances that Noone's been given, and Ameobi last season, it's hard to believe how little he's played. You never know, Zohore and Murphy have come out of the cold so there's a glimmer of hope but I guess you're right, his days do seem numbered here.

I didn't see him or Blackwell but when Halford got injured near the end there was a lot of signalling up to the stand to determine whether he should be treated, to try and complete the 90 minutes, or be brought off. Obviously someone from the first team set-up was there to make that decision but I couldn't see who it was.
    From where I was sitting it looked like Andy Dibble was up there

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    From where I was sitting it looked like Andy Dibble was up there
    Quite possibly. I used to moan about Slade not turning up to DVP games so I'd be a hypocrite not to do the same when Warnock or Blackwell don't turn up, especially as a couple of Saturday's squad were playing as well as some fringe players. However, there is a different feel about these games now and I'd like to think Warnock is genuine when he talks about the importance of a long term strategy here, even though there is plenty to occupy him in the short term.

A couple of other bits of DVP related stuff. Lloyd Humphries scored for Weston tonight in a 3-2 defeat to Dartford in the National League South. Former player Gethyn Hill also scored, for the fourth game in a row. Another former player, Luke Coulson, has joined Barnet where he'll join up with David Tutonda.

Spot on. The second goal summed it up, you're right. We'd tried a couple of times to break through the middle with passes and flicks but when that didn't quite come off we just started again, went down the flank instead, got in behind them, put a good ball in for an onrushing midfielder who put it in the net. Football didn't seem that easy when Slade was here, it doesn't seem that easy under Warnock for a lot of the time either but hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd assumed that we'd struggle to hold central midfield when Veale went off but I couldn't have been more wrong. Waite was the more eye-catching in there but Spence also seemed completely unfazed by the responsibility and strolled through his 45 minutes with the minimum of fuss. Halford soon realised that the pair of them didn't need babysitting and spent most of the half playing as a right-winger to keep himself interested. Coxe looked composed too and while Harris didn't stand out, there were moments of quality from him.

Waite needs to grow though. Fair enough, no one got near him for most of last night so it wasn't an issue but the one time he did get shoulder-barged he nearly lost possession in a dangerous position and was still rubbing his shoulder a minute later. Obviously there's nothing the club can do about it, bar making him sleep in a greenhouse, but surely it's going to delay, or even halt, his progress if he doesn't start developing physically soon?

Blue in the Face

Finally got round to reading this. My favorite report of yours in some time, mainly for the reason that there are so many positives. But as you say in your report, performances can yo-yo very quickly at this level so it's best not get too carried away. But very encouraging to hear Veale recovered from injury well and that Waite/Spence are stepping up.

Your report begs one urgent question to me - Perhaps it's time to give Matty Kennedy another pop at the first team? Is he being over-looked? Warnock is the type of manager to get the most out of this lad. I have a funny feeling in my gut that if we give this lad away he might go on to prove himself elsewhere. I hope to see him on the bench for the seniors soon!

As an aside, good to hear Ipsich keeper Crowe showing quality. I think he has what it takes to become a Championship starter.

Blue in the Face

Thank you. You were the one who came up with the campaign slogan, we wouldn't have got this far without you. I'll make sure Etien mentions you in his first press conference back, I don't want to take all the credit.
    Saint Etien's pilgrimage home

One of the best pre match warmer uppers I've seen in a Cardiff tracksuit

I can't remember if I said this in the blog or not, but that was the best game I've seen Kennedy play for the Development team I think. Thing is though, he plays like that one night and then the next day there are these stories linking him with a move back to Scotland and I wonder to myself are the two things related?

Kennedy's definitely got the talent, but given what a breath of fresh air he was when he came into Russell Slade's oh so boring team two years ago, it's hard to work out why he's as far down the pecking list as he is now unless there is something to rumours about his attitude that surface from time to time - I know why you think he may go somewhere else and prosper, because he's good enough to do so, but I still feel it's best for his career if he moves on now.

After a while, you get to recognise a few of the opposition players at Development games if they've been coming down here for a few seasons and Crowe has been doing that. He's always looked a good prospect to me, but I suppose it's getting close to decision time for him as far as Ipswich are concerned, he's 21 now and his contract is up in June, so do they let one of their two senior keepers go and make him the back up to the one who stays or do they release him? Based on what I've seen of him, he's good enough to be a Championship club's second keeper.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 18-01-17 at 15:31.

Eli Phipps has signed for Colchester - good move for him, I thought he was probably headed to a non league club.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3526250.aspx

Eli Phipps has signed for Colchester - good move for him, I thought he was probably headed to a non league club.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3526250.aspx
    Is Tommy O'Sullivan still on trial with them? I thought he'd be one of the first to get a permanent move.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is Tommy O'Sullivan still on trial with them? I thought he'd be one of the first to get a permanent move.
    Seems so, maybe Colchester could afford a deal for Phipps, but need to get someone off the books before they can get O'Sullivan because he'd cost a fair bit more in wages I'd have thought.

What a scorcher as they used to say in the comics I read as a kid! I'd not seen that goal before - thanks for posting the link.

I remember going to watch our first ever home game after we'd been granted Academy status in 2004 and Joe was the best player in that team on the day - occasionally, I'd bump into his father (who used to post on here under the name "h") at Under 18 matches.

Although it's been almost entirely spent in the lower divisions, Joe's had a good career as he closes in on three and fifty games - as the captain of the Wales Under 21 team that played England in those two brilliant Play Off matches nine years ago, he's a good quiz question as well.

Blue in the Face

What a scorcher as they used to say in the comics I read as a kid! I'd not seen that goal before - thanks for posting the link.

I remember going to watch our first ever home game after we'd been granted Academy status in 2004 and Joe was the best player in that team on the day - occasionally, I'd bump into his father (who used to post on here under the name "h") at Under 18 matches.

Although it's been almost entirely spent in the lower divisions, Joe's had a good career as he closes in on three and fifty games - as the captain of the Wales Under 21 team that played England in those two brilliant Play Off matches nine years ago, he's a good quiz question as well.
    The Jacobson chat has reminded me of Jonathan Meades. I was trying remember which one had the unusual loan to Norway. Quite similar players who have had similar careers so far. Meades is now a regular for league one Wimbledon and has done well for himself. I can imagine the likes of Tom James following suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The Jacobson chat has reminded me of Jonathan Meades. I was trying remember which one had the unusual loan to Norway. Quite similar players who have had similar careers so far. Meades is now a regular for league one Wimbledon and has done well for himself. I can imagine the likes of Tom James following suit.
    Instead of/alongside the usual bottle of champers Meades was awarded a hoover for his MotM performance while on that loan.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Instead of/alongside the usual bottle of champers Meades was awarded a hoover for his MotM performance while on that loan.

He must've been playing sweeper

Ten Under 16 players in the squad for the Academy match with Millwall today.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy