+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 164 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    So he should.

Loan Watch will be back at some point. I'm using the office as the headquarters for the 'Bring Etien home' campaign at the moment. It's really starting to gather some momentum now. I know I can count on your signature when the petition goes round on Saturday.
    More than just a signature, I put money in the bucket at the Fulham game.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A very enjoyable game last night - here's my report on it.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Finally got round to reading this. My favorite report of yours in some time, mainly for the reason that there are so many positives. But as you say in your report, performances can yo-yo very quickly at this level so it's best not get too carried away. But very encouraging to hear Veale recovered from injury well and that Waite/Spence are stepping up.

Your report begs one urgent question to me - Perhaps it's time to give Matty Kennedy another pop at the first team? Is he being over-looked? Warnock is the type of manager to get the most out of this lad. I have a funny feeling in my gut that if we give this lad away he might go on to prove himself elsewhere. I hope to see him on the bench for the seniors soon!

As an aside, good to hear Ipsich keeper Crowe showing quality. I think he has what it takes to become a Championship starter.

I can't remember if I said this in the blog or not, but that was the best game I've seen Kennedy play for the Development team I think. Thing is though, he plays like that one night and then the next day there are these stories linking him with a move back to Scotland and I wonder to myself are the two things related?

Kennedy's definitely got the talent, but given what a breath of fresh air he was when he came into Russell Slade's oh so boring team two years ago, it's hard to work out why he's as far down the pecking list as he is now unless there is something to rumours about his attitude that surface from time to time - I know why you think he may go somewhere else and prosper, because he's good enough to do so, but I still feel it's best for his career if he moves on now.

After a while, you get to recognise a few of the opposition players at Development games if they've been coming down here for a few seasons and Crowe has been doing that. He's always looked a good prospect to me, but I suppose it's getting close to decision time for him as far as Ipswich are concerned, he's 21 now and his contract is up in June, so do they let one of their two senior keepers go and make him the back up to the one who stays or do they release him? Based on what I've seen of him, he's good enough to be a Championship club's second keeper.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 18-01-17 at 15:31.

Eli Phipps has signed for Colchester - good move for him, I thought he was probably headed to a non league club.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3526250.aspx

Eli Phipps has signed for Colchester - good move for him, I thought he was probably headed to a non league club.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3526250.aspx
    Is Tommy O'Sullivan still on trial with them? I thought he'd be one of the first to get a permanent move.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is Tommy O'Sullivan still on trial with them? I thought he'd be one of the first to get a permanent move.
    Seems so, maybe Colchester could afford a deal for Phipps, but need to get someone off the books before they can get O'Sullivan because he'd cost a fair bit more in wages I'd have thought.

Not signed .
    You don't like Velikonja. You don't like Showaddywaddy. What's the matter with you?

That Phipps move is a random one. Gloucester City couldn't wait to send him back after a few games on loan, now he's signing for a League 2 side. He doesn't even seem to have had a trial there, I haven't seen a mention of it anyway. Moody is at Colchester now, I'm not sure if that's the link here (and with Tommy O'Sullivan) or just a coincidence. Good luck to Eli anyway.

Tommy O'Sullivan has signed for Colchester

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3528719.aspx

Tommy O'Sullivan has signed for Colchester

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3528719.aspx
    I make that eight recently released DVP lads playing at League 2 clubs now.

Tommy and Eli Phipps at Colchester, David Tutonda and Luke Coulson at Barnet, Tom James at Yeovil, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb at Newport, Josh Yorwerth at Crawley (back in favour) and Ben Nugent at Crewe (currently out of favour).

Goalkeepers Dave Richards (Crewe) and Eliott Parish (Accrington) were released a bit further back but are there too, Pre-DVP but Joe Jacobson, further back again (he's 30 now), is still at Wycombe and Danny Parslow (31) is at Cheltenham (although he's just gone back to York on loan). Any others?

I make that eight recently released DVP lads playing at League 2 clubs now.

Tommy and Eli Phipps at Colchester, David Tutonda and Luke Coulson at Barnet, Tom James at Yeovil, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb at Newport, Josh Yorwerth at Crawley (back in favour) and Ben Nugent at Crewe (currently out of favour).

Goalkeepers Dave Richards (Crewe) and Eliott Parish (Accrington) were released a bit further back but are there too, Pre-DVP but Joe Jacobson, further back again (he's 30 now), is still at Wycombe and Danny Parslow (31) is at Cheltenham (although he's just gone back to York on loan). Any others?
    Forgot Aaron Wildig at Morecambe. Seems like ages ago now but still only 24.

Forgot Aaron Wildig at Morecambe. Seems like ages ago now but still only 24.
    Wildig and Jacobson both scored on Saturday.

Wildig and Jacobson both scored on Saturday.
    I think Jacobson usually scores from set-pieces, this must be his best from open play.

It's the opener here, at around 0.30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVw_ZzVb7I

What a scorcher as they used to say in the comics I read as a kid! I'd not seen that goal before - thanks for posting the link.

I remember going to watch our first ever home game after we'd been granted Academy status in 2004 and Joe was the best player in that team on the day - occasionally, I'd bump into his father (who used to post on here under the name "h") at Under 18 matches.

Although it's been almost entirely spent in the lower divisions, Joe's had a good career as he closes in on three and fifty games - as the captain of the Wales Under 21 team that played England in those two brilliant Play Off matches nine years ago, he's a good quiz question as well.

Ten Under 16 players in the squad for the Academy match with Millwall today.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy

Ten Under 16 players in the squad for the Academy match with Millwall today.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy
    That text makes it sound as if Millwall had the better of the first 20 minutes and the entire second-half. It finished 1-1.

Blue in the Face

What a scorcher as they used to say in the comics I read as a kid! I'd not seen that goal before - thanks for posting the link.

I remember going to watch our first ever home game after we'd been granted Academy status in 2004 and Joe was the best player in that team on the day - occasionally, I'd bump into his father (who used to post on here under the name "h") at Under 18 matches.

Although it's been almost entirely spent in the lower divisions, Joe's had a good career as he closes in on three and fifty games - as the captain of the Wales Under 21 team that played England in those two brilliant Play Off matches nine years ago, he's a good quiz question as well.
    The Jacobson chat has reminded me of Jonathan Meades. I was trying remember which one had the unusual loan to Norway. Quite similar players who have had similar careers so far. Meades is now a regular for league one Wimbledon and has done well for himself. I can imagine the likes of Tom James following suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The Jacobson chat has reminded me of Jonathan Meades. I was trying remember which one had the unusual loan to Norway. Quite similar players who have had similar careers so far. Meades is now a regular for league one Wimbledon and has done well for himself. I can imagine the likes of Tom James following suit.
    Instead of/alongside the usual bottle of champers Meades was awarded a hoover for his MotM performance while on that loan.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Instead of/alongside the usual bottle of champers Meades was awarded a hoover for his MotM performance while on that loan.

He must've been playing sweeper

Another youngster leaves, this time for Sheffield Wednesday - I thought he was playing really well in the couple of months before Christmas.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/2...d-3532638.aspx

Another youngster leaves, this time for Sheffield Wednesday - I thought he was playing really well in the couple of months before Christmas.

Odd, not good enough for us but good enough for a team higher in the league.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...layers-9295093

He pops up in this 20/05/2015 article about 20 to watch from our youth team. It's always strange to create an article like this when the route to first team football is such a long one with so many potential distractions and road-blocks, and now it's popped on here I half expect (as is usually the point of creating the original) WalesOnline will follow it up with a "what are they doing now?" article.

Sheffield Wednesday also signed (Welsh) Morgan Fox this January. That's been kept rather quiet and I don't think he's troubled the first team yet.

The Development team were beaten 2-0 up at Sunderland in a Group game in that new fangled cup competition - they were as good as out of the competition beforehand and this result just makes it official I'd say. The only info I could find on the match was on the Sunderland Twitter feed, so I've no idea what sort of team we put out.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That text makes it sound as if Millwall had the better of the first 20 minutes and the entire second-half. It finished 1-1.
    Yes, I had a quick look at it when I got in from the Burton match and it reads like the second half was one way traffic with keeper Scott Coughlin performing heroics for us, but I hope we get to see the goal Isaak Davies (who looks a fine prospect based on what I've seen of him so far) scored to put us 1-0 up in the first half, because it sounded like it was something well worth watching.

The Development team were beaten 2-0 up at Sunderland in a Group game in that new fangled cup competition - they were as good as out of the competition beforehand and this result just makes it official I'd say. The only info I could find on the match was on the Sunderland Twitter feed, so I've no idea what sort of team we put out.
    Sounded like one-way traffic. The team is at the bottom of this report, Meite got 90 minutes and it looks like Jamie Bird is back.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport...rdiff-12490226

To be fair to Slade, I saw him quite often at Development team matches at Leckwith and the Vale (even had a conversation with him once if thanking him for allowing me to get past him qualifies as one), so I take the point about it being hypercritical to criticise Slade and say nothing about Warnock. However, I will cut Warnock some slack for;-
    1. Acting so quickly on an Academy and Development team system that wasn't working. The proof of the pudding will be in the results it produces of course, but the moving on of players in their early twenties who were stuck in a limbo between youth and first team football and the appointment of someone to oversee age group football at the club in the same way as Brian Flynn used to for Wales, seem like good moves to me - especially as the new appointee is someone like Craig Bellamy.
    2. Less than three months into his time at Cardiff and Warnock has already done what Slade never did in almost two full season at the club - give an Academy graduate (in fact, Mark Harris is still eligible for our Under 18s this season) a first team debut.