+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 164 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Interesting story in the Daily Star of all places this morning where it names the top ten Championship sides this season when it comes to using players produced by their Academies. Almost entirely down to Joe Ralls, we are rated tenth. which is seven or eight places higher than I thought we'd be, but our figure in terms of number of minutes played by former youth players at the club is about a third of that of the team at the top, Leeds, who have also done very well when it comes to getting the sorts of fees that enabled them to build the type of team they have this season.

That's where we really fall down I feel - say what you like about Peter Ridsdale, but we were able to build very competitive sides in this division through signings made off the proceeds of the sale of one or two players every summer for seven figure sums - since we were relegated, we've almost completely lost the knack of finding players we could make a profit on when they left us.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...sportgalleries

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Interesting story in the Daily Star of all places this morning where it names the top ten Championship sides this season when it comes to using players produced by their Academies. Almost entirely down to Joe Ralls, we are rated tenth. which is seven or eight places higher than I thought we'd be, but our figure in terms of number of minutes played by former youth players at the club is about a third of that of the team at the top, Leeds, who have also done very well when it comes to getting the sorts of fees that enabled them to build the type of team they have this season.

That's where we really fall down I feel - say what you like about Peter Ridsdale, but we were able to build very competitive sides in this division through signings made off the proceeds of the sale of one or two players every summer for seven figure sums - since we were relegated, we've almost completely lost the knack of finding players we could make a profit on when they left us.

We've cheated that one a bit I feel. To an extent Ralls, Kadeem, Ben Wilson, Kennedy and Rhys Healy are all transfers to our club really and aren't full on academy products as they arrived at a late age. Mark Harris and Declan definately count though.

Huddersfield said they were going to plan around finding good youngsters who they could sell on and have done pretty well this season. It definitely can be done and generally is for all teams not in the top 6 of the premier league.

Encouraging report on Lloyd Humphries here as he extends his loan at Weston till the end of the season.

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/...?news_id=19868

Here's the James Waite goal against Ipswich that TOBW eulogised about at the time. 40 passes from the second half kick off to the goal itself, superb stuff. They don't play music during DVP games by the way, that's been added on.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...l-3540844.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Here's the James Waite goal against Ipswich that TOBW eulogised about at the time. 40 passes from the second half kick off to the goal itself, superb stuff. They don't play music during DVP games by the way, that's been added on.

Strange as to why it took them nearly a fortnight to realise what an outstanding goal it was.

Credit to the club though for releasing that video for all fans to see and, it turns out that the goal was even better than I thought it was at the time.

The Under 23s don't always manage to play football like that and I wouldn't expect anything like it on the pitch at Leckwith on Monday afternoon, but their games are usually entertaining.

Anyway, I've done another blog piece about the goal if anyone is interested.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blue in the Face

Holy cow

Great to use the example of that goal to say something bigger. I was left pretty gutted the way the Paul Trollope/Welsh Way thing fell at the first hurdle. But you've made some great points here as to why this kind of football is so great to watch, even if it is very difficult to adopt this style and turn it into winning football.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 28-01-17 at 12:54.

Strange as to why it took them nearly a fortnight to realise what an outstanding goal it was.

Credit to the club though for releasing that video for all fans to see and, it turns out that the goal was even better than I thought it was at the time.

The Under 23s don't always manage to play football like that and I wouldn't expect anything like it on the pitch at Leckwith on Monday afternoon, but their games are usually entertaining.

Anyway, I've done another blog piece about the goal if anyone is interested.

Good stuff. As Blue in the Face says, it certainly won't be easy to evolve to this style of play at first team level but at least Warnock is showing some flexibility with systems and personnel which doesn't rule it out entirely, even if he's here for a while. It will be interesting to see what happens when he feels he can start to relax his obsession with 'no-nonsense' defending. The build up to Waite's goal shows the extra attacking options that a ball playing centre-half and a full back pushing on can give you (even a full back as seemingly limited as Halford). On that theme, it was encouraging to see Declan John on the bench yesterday.

I see Luke O'Reilly has joined Redditch. Those guys are going out thick and fast, it's a shame we haven't found it so easy to offload some of our first team squad.

Good stuff. As Blue in the Face says, it certainly won't be easy to evolve to this style of play at first team level but at least Warnock is showing some flexibility with systems and personnel which doesn't rule it out entirely, even if he's here for a while. It will be interesting to see what happens when he feels he can start to relax his obsession with 'no-nonsense' defending. The build up to Waite's goal shows the extra attacking options that a ball playing centre-half and a full back pushing on can give you (even a full back as seemingly limited as Halford). On that theme, it was encouraging to see Declan John on the bench yesterday.

I see Luke O'Reilly has joined Redditch. Those guys are going out thick and fast, it's a shame we haven't found it so easy to offload some of our first team squad.
    Not sure Warnock will ever relax his obsession with no nonsense defending and, although I think he represents an extreme end of this argument, I'm with him to the extent that I'd take a good defender with limitations on the ball over someone who is good on the ball, but defensively suspect.

I think O'Reilly is a very good "line" keeper - I did read that he's gone to Redditch on loan didn't I?

One other thing, the average age of the Under 18 team seems to go down week by week lately, but that didn't stop them winning 1-0 at Colchester yesterday thanks to another goal by Isaak Davies, who I would expect to see getting some experience in the Development side fairly soon.

Not sure Warnock will ever relax his obsession with no nonsense defending and, although I think he represents an extreme end of this argument, I'm with him to the extent that I'd take a good defender with limitations on the ball over someone who is good on the ball, but defensively suspect.

I think O'Reilly is a very good "line" keeper - I did read that he's gone to Redditch on loan didn't I?

One other thing, the average age of the Under 18 team seems to go down week by week lately, but that didn't stop them winning 1-0 at Colchester yesterday thanks to another goal by Isaak Davies, who I would expect to see getting some experience in the Development side fairly soon.
    I take your point about out-and-out defenders, of course, but I reckon playing five of them is probably over-egging the pudding a bit. Even playing four at home seems a bit over the top at times but, like you say, that's Warnock's way. If he feels Gunnarsson and Ralls are strong enough to mind the fort then we may see our full backs creeping over the halfway line at some point but it's probably best that I don't get ahead of myself on that one.

I saw Redditch saying they'd signed O'Reilly on a temporary basis, which could mean a short-term contract or a loan I suppose. I haven't seen him tested enough to make up my mind about him yet but overall I'm happy with the restructuring at that level so I'll go along with whatever decisions are being made while hoping that we're not throwing the baby out with the bath water somewhere along the line.

It certainly did but I can't see many teams allowing for so much time and space that a CB's long diagonal can find the left-back as lonely as he was towards the end of the move.

Defender's don't have to do too much going forward to add an increased threat to their side (Chamber's played RB in a Pochettino side not so long ago), there is plenty of middle ground between Pulis' 4 CB's and Spurs using Walker and Rose that hopefully Warnock can find for us.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It certainly did but I can't see many teams allowing for so much time and space that a CB's long diagonal can find the left-back as lonely as he was towards the end of the move.

Defender's don't have to do too much going forward to add an increased threat to their side (Chamber's played RB in a Pochettino side not so long ago), there is plenty of middle ground between Pulis' 4 CB's and Spurs using Walker and Rose that hopefully Warnock can find for us.
    Let's hope so, yes.

On the theme of defenders pushing forward, here's Deji Oshilaja's goal from yesterday for Gillingham. An up and down season for Deji and I'm not sure if he actually qualifies for this thread any more (he's 24 next month) but this is a goal worth seeing as it's an unconventional one for a centre half. He takes it well though.

It's the opener here at around 0.15

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...1-1-shrewsbury

The Development team are at home to Millwall (kick off 2 o clock) at Leckwith this afternoon.

Blue in the Face

Just about still relevant to this thread rather than start a new one as Ajayi is a DVP regular. But great news for him and hopefully for us as he'll be playing at Championship level and should have plenty of defending to do when he plays...

Cardiff City defender Semi Ajayi is set to join Championship rivals Rotherham United on loan, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/30...ajayi-on-loan/

Ajayi joined Cardiff from Arsenal in the summer of 2015 after initially impressing during a loan spell at the Welsh club.

The 23-year-old has yet to feature for Cardiff this season and Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock is happy to loan him out so that he can get regular first-team football under his belt.

The centre-back has enjoyed two loan spells away at AFC Wimbledon and Crewe Alexandra since joining Cardiff, with Ajayi unable to break into the first-team at the Cardiff City Stadium thus far.

Ajayi came up through the youth ranks at Charlton Athletic before joining Arsenal in 2013.

The Nigerian under-21 international never made a first-team appearance during his time at Arsenal, but he was an unused substitute for Arsene Wenger's side in Premier League games against Newcastle United, Stoke City and Hull City.

Rotherham are desperate to bolster their squad before the close of the transfer window and they have moved to take Ajayi on loan until the end of the season to help in their survival fight in the Championship.

Young team selected today - Jamie Bird is in the starting line up after his return from his loan spell at Weston.

Byrne, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Veale, Blaise, Young, Southam, Waite, Harris, Bird, Meite

Subs Bodenham, Ratcliffe, Wootton, Humphries.

Not sure if that's Lloyd Humphries among the subs, I thought he was at Weston until the end of the season?

Finished 1-1 - decent game and a fair result with Jamie Veale putting us ahead from the penalty spot, before Millwall equalised in the second half

My blog piece on yesterday's game.

Blue in the Face

My blog piece on yesterday's game.

I cannot believe that the PM couldn't be bothered to show up for the game. She's lost my vote. (She never had my vote)

How did Jack Bodenham do by the way? I've seen his name on Wales youth team lists for what seems like ages. Think this may have been his DVP debut yesterday perhaps. Also Wootton is a name I know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I cannot believe that the PM couldn't be bothered to show up for the game. She's lost my vote. (She never had my vote)

How did Jack Bodenham do by the way? I've seen his name on Wales youth team lists for what seems like ages. Think this may have been his DVP debut yesterday perhaps. Also Wootton is a name I know nothing about.
    Regarding Wootton, I'm much the same as you - I must have seen him play before, but not knowlngly so.

I think you are right about Bodenham, I'm not aware of him having played for the Development team before - he's only broken into the Under 18s this season. He came on for Jordan Blaise early on and he and Connor Young were a very inexperienced centreback pairing for this level, but they both did well - one of them may have let their man go for the equaliser because the scorer was in a lot of space, but overall, they coped well.

Blue in the Face

Regarding Wootton, I'm much the same as you - I must have seen him play before, but not knowlngly so.

I think you are right about Bodenham, I'm not aware of him having played for the Development team before - he's only broken into the Under 18s this season. He came on for Jordan Blaise early on and he and Connor Young were a very inexperienced centreback pairing for this level, but they both did well - one of them may have let their man go for the equaliser because the scorer was in a lot of space, but overall, they coped well.
    Great that Bodenham and Young are being given a chance above their age grade at least and let's hope can step up ahead of time. And hopefully the later can emulate his old man.

Found this on Wootton on the acdemy website...

Laurence Wootton

Midfielder

Laurence is another new face for the young Bluebirds, having joined from Stoke City this summer. The young midfielder, known for his creativity, will be looking to cement his place in the U18 starting eleven ahead of the coming campaign.

News of another young City player who has found a new club - always thought he did a good job for us at Under 18 and Development team level.

http://www.atfc.org.uk/home/three-mo...dow-activities

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Great that Bodenham and Young are being given a chance above their age grade at least and let's hope can step up ahead of time. And hopefully the later can emulate his old man.

Found this on Wootton on the acdemy website...

Laurence Wootton

Midfielder

Laurence is another new face for the young Bluebirds, having joined from Stoke City this summer. The young midfielder, known for his creativity, will be looking to cement his place in the U18 starting eleven ahead of the coming campaign.
    Thanks, Wooton features a fair bit in the video of Saturday's 1-0 win at Colchester last weekend on Cardiff City World - one of the home team's players was shown a straight red card in the early stages of the game for a two footed lunge at our number seven.

Heavy defeat for the DVP team today at Palace. Sullay Kaikai gave the first team problems at Brentford so I'm not surprised he was too good for our youngsters. A report off the Palace site here, it gives our team at the end of it.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/2...y-3560042.aspx

Heavy defeat for the DVP team today at Palace. Sullay Kaikai gave the first team problems at Brentford so I'm not surprised he was too good for our youngsters. A report off the Palace site here, it gives our team at the end of it.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/2...y-3560042.aspx
    Given the experience (or lack of it!) in our team, the result is hardly surprising if the likes of Kaikai were typical of their team. Interesting to see that Weymans was in our team. Haven't heard about him for a while so I assumed that he was part of the recent cull. Also was that Theo Wharton in our line up? Last heard that he was on trial at Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Given the experience (or lack of it!) in our team, the result is hardly surprising if the likes of Kaikai were typical of their team. Interesting to see that Weymans was in our team. Haven't heard about him for a while so I assumed that he was part of the recent cull. Also was that Theo Wharton in our line up? Last heard that he was on trial at Coventry.
    We were trying to set up a loan spell for Weymans at Kortrijk in January and he spent some time out there but the deal didn't go through so it looks like he's back with us for the season now. Wharton played two games for Coventry's u-23s but it seems they're not taking their interest any further.

It's frustrating trying to keep up with what's going on at that level. I'm sure the club feel there's not a lot of interest which is fair enough but I'd have thought a brief weekly update wouldn't be beyond them. It's hard to work out whether players are out of favour or just injured. Where's Robbie Patten, for example? I don't remember seeing news that he's been released but he seems to have disappeared into thin air.