+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aberfan

Re: Aberfan

I've posted before about this charity recording:

A powerful production.

I understand Wales Online is doing something on Amy next week which should make the Merthyr Express and possibly the Echo. Both Aberfan and Treharris libraries are selling her CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Are we having a minute silence for this on Friday
    I'm in two minds on whether that's a good idea for this Friday unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    I'm in two minds on whether that's a good idea for this Friday unfortunately.
    Cant see any problems with it,we have had a few minutes silences this season all fans stood to a man.May be your lot are still in the dark ages

We've got a home game next week anyway so I think it would be more appropriate to have it then.

Why not a round of applause on either 21 or 50 mins ( the date it happened or the anniversary)

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Why not a round of applause on either 21 or 50 mins ( the date it happened or the anniversary)
    Not a fan of rounds of applause.
    I do understand that some fans in the past have been disrespectful and the round of applause was brought in, not only to drown out the offenders but also to applaud achievements or simply as a celebration of a life/lives, a "legend of the game" passing for example.
    There are instances where a round of applause is appropriate, but this one I would say is not and a minute's silence would be the only way to show respect for the victims, families and the townspeople.

My opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I do understand that some fans in the past have been disrespectful and the round of applause was brought in, not only to drown out the offenders but also to applaud achievements or simply as a celebration of a life/lives, a "legend of the game" passing for example.
    There are instances where a round of applause is appropriate, but this one I would say is not and a minute's silence would be the only way to show respect for the victims, families and the townspeople.

My opinion of course.
    I'd have to agree with that, no reason for a round of applause, a minutes silence is appropriate here.

Good to see the thread back on track after the ugly spat with the Bristol guy. Far too sensitive a subject for it to be dragged in to the gutter.

There wasn't an ugly spat.
    I certainly didn't find one anyway. I'm of the same opinion as you that it was terrible and I have seen some poignant programmes and photos on it.
    My point I was making is that I'm in 2 minds on a minute silence.
    I think that is far more appropriate than applause.
    But I also have a niggling concern it wouldn't be observed as well as it should so I'd rather see none than a bad one.

But I certainly don't think there's an ugly spat on this subject or a need for one.
    I see it the same way as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    There wasn't an ugly spat.
    I certainly didn't find one anyway. I'm of the same opinion as you that it was terrible and I have seen some poignant programmes and photos on it.
    My point I was making is that I'm in 2 minds on a minute silence.
    I think that is far more appropriate than applause.
    But I also have a niggling concern it wouldn't be observed as well as it should so I'd rather see none than a bad one.

But I certainly don't think there's an ugly spat on this subject or a need for one.
    I see it the same way as you.
    As is quite often the case, the posts I refer to have gone from this thread, which is good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

My opinion of course.
    I agree.

There may be a few small-minded wurzels who are enjoying being superior to us currently but I trust that the 99% will recognise that for all that has been said about going to a football match and not returning then perhaps going to school and not returning is worse.

One of the reasons I suggested a round of applause,is that it is easier to for people to get involved as you only need one section to start and everyone can join in. I prefer the silence as it is more respectful but unless the referee blows the whistle to indicate the start, I think it's harder to co-ordinate. I remember when the applause started on 56 mins at a home game in rememberance of the Bradford City fire and it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

is it just me that remembers bristol citys fans sick chants about this? silence would be best but i dont think they can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    is it just me that remembers bristol citys fans sick chants about this? silence would be best but i dont think they can be trusted.
    They will have to be trusted. If a few fail then it reflects on them as 'human beings'.

A minutes applause would be wholly inappropriate here. Clapping what exactly? It has to be a minutes silence. Surely everyone can show their respects on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Yes back in 1974 at their place, city fans went berserk in response and rioted on the streets of Bristol leading to the most ever arrests for football related disorder at that time.

Anyone else watching "The young wives club" on itv at the moment?
    If not, catch it on iplayer. Heartbreaking, poignant, beautifully done.

Yes watching g it and crying.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Watching it now, listening to those mothers, sisters, what they went through, heart-breaking..

Yep, my Mrs asked why i kept going out the kitchen,to dry my eyes what strong people they all were .

I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Yes back in 1974 at their place, city fans went berserk in response and rioted on the streets of Bristol leading to the most ever arrests for football related disorder at that time.
    Oxford away in 1968 ( I think ). Oxford fans sing " Aberfan ha , ha , ha. " City fans my 16 year old self included fight our way through the line of coppers to give Oxford what they deserved. Still hate Oxford for that.
    Best save everything for the next home game methinks.

One lady who featured in the programme was a 'dinner lady' in my junior school in Aberfan. As kids we never knew she lost a kid and I only become aware of that fact when I was in my mid 20s.

She and her husband (like so many others) act with so much dignity, when you think of the pain they went through. For the lady in question to work in a junior school surrounded by kids the age of a child lost just shows the courage she has. It also told me although you should never forget, you have to look forward.

While on the subject of The Aberfan disaster, this Friday is the anniversary of the Senghenydd pit disaster which claimed 439 lives on October the 14th 1913, the worst disaster in British mining history. When fines were levied against the pit owners and manager, they came to a derisive £24, one newspaper commented, that meant that miners lives were worth just ‘£0 1s 1 1/4d’ - a sum that, these days, would equate to no more than six pence!! The people of South Wales have taken some shit over the years.

Tear flowing stuff/

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    We've got a home game next week anyway so I think it would be more appropriate to have it then.
    Exactly, the Sheffield Wednesday match on the 19th is far more.appropriate to commentate something that happened on the 21 October.