+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pound pounded down, again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pound pounded down, again

Currently the pound's down today 1.87% versus the US dollar to stand at 1.21 and minus 1.05% against the euro at 1.10. Remarks made by a BoE Monetary Policy Committee member today put sterling under pressure.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gb...y-fools-errand

Re: Pound pounded down, again

There are airports giving less than a euro to a pound. I appreciate that these places rip you off anyway, but the fact that it's within their range is incredible. Who cares tho, we have our 'sovereignty' though..........

The variations at UK airports yesterday was startling. Highest was 1.06 euros to the pound, lowest was 88 cents. Mind, those punters prepared to take the latter must be idiots and deserve to be f'd over.

Pound hammering hammered out. Back up today.

Expect alot of fluctuations, and dont read into it all too much. Its the markets who despise risk, seeing risk come and go.

Longer term matters, medium term the recent fall will start to hit some prices. But should be limited to 1-4%, an amount easily soaked up by business.

Pound down, pound down to Poundland and get one of those one pound vibrators before they are all gone. You know that's she really needs. Then you can stay in the pub all night.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Pound down, pound down to Poundland and get one of those one pound vibrators before they are all gone. You know that's she really needs. Then you can stay in the pub all night.
    it should be called 80pland now ,happy days , isn't going swimmingly well in Brexit world , and still immigration continues .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    it should be called 80pland now ,happy days , isn't going swimmingly well in Brexit world , and still immigration continues .
    It's great for business

It's only of interest to those who have a few quid, 80p pound means nothing to those who have very little, and cannot afford holidays abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    It's only of interest to those who have a few quid, 80p pound means nothing to those who have very little, and cannot afford holidays abroad.
    It'll mean something to them when all the imported items are sky rocketing in price.

Damn.

It was all going perfectly before this brexit stuff as well.

Soon to be rebranded as Fiverland at this rate

I don't think anyone said short term it would be easy.

Disputes between suppliers happens regardless.

Businesses want to squeeze every penny out of the normal man and women.

Free trade has decimated some businesses here (obviously bringing a lot of benefits as well). Maybe an end to it will bring about chances for more job and business creation UK based.

For every steel works that is destroyed because of chinese dumping, there are companies that use the cheap steel.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 13-10-16 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Pound hammering hammered out. Back up today.

Expect alot of fluctuations, and dont read into it all too much. Its the markets who despise risk, seeing risk come and go.

Longer term matters, medium term the recent fall will start to hit some prices. But should be limited to 1-4%, an amount easily soaked up by business.
    Easy for you to say, what about my holiday next month.

Make sure you dig out those left over coins from your last holiday, worth a bloody fortune now.

Make sure you get the best deal, you could cancel the fall if you compare airport to online. $0.88 at some airports, or $1.09 online. 25% difference, compared to a 13% fall. Bigger difference there than the fall itself. Shopping around you could still end up with more foreign currency than pre-brexit.

We'll see. Nothing is set in stone as nothing has been decided.

Every tom dick and harry will be out to get "assurances"

Subsidies. Grant relief. etc. etc. etc.

Or other government handouts.

Banks saying they're closing branches and moving staff due to brexit It is just an excuse.

May certainly seemed more interested in immigration than the single market speaking at the Tory conference last week. Of course, she may have just been playing to her audience of blue rinsed octogenarians.

Personally I don't think Nissan are making excuses. If we end up with tariffs, no major manufacturer in their right mind would make cars here for export to the EU

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    May certainly seemed more interested in immigration than the single market speaking at the Tory conference last week. Of course, she may have just been playing to her audience of blue rinsed octogenarians.

Personally I don't think Nissan are making excuses. If we end up with tariffs, no major manufacturer in their right mind would make cars here for export to the EU
    Really?

Even with the tariffs added, the fall in the sterling means its still cheaper. Therefore it makes more sense to build them here. Comprende?

All countries want weaker currencies. The policy is variously described as currency wars/race to the bottom/beggar thy neighbour. The truth is they are all debt-laden shite with nothing backing them but people's misplaced faith and confidence along with governments' legal tender laws which are enforced by their hired mercenaries in police and army uniforms and long-hooted snoopers in tax offices. It's the same the world over.

Yeah, let's hope he's retained his enthusiasm and can get the players to believe in themselves. Also out there is 200-1 for a top two finish and 100-1 for promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yeah, let's hope he's retained his enthusiasm and can get the players to believe in themselves. Also out there is 200-1 for a top two finish and 100-1 for promotion.
    I think Warnock will be fine personally.

Although I'll leave the top two positions alone I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    The pound going to a 130 odd year low is down to a 'fluctuation'? right.
    not gonna bother with the rest of your post because it's not relevant to what I wrote
    Incidentally, your leader has been chucking her toys out on facebook recently, I suppose it's what happens when you ignore your voters and try to impose your own point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Incidentally, your leader has been chucking her toys out on facebook recently, I suppose it's what happens when you ignore your voters and try to impose your own point of view.
    my leader? I'm not a part of any political party. I have my preferences though of course.
    If you're talking about Leanne Wood, then she has every right to be annoyed. Plaid Cymru voters were the ones with the strongest remain vote (using BES data). Don't let facts get in the way of your agenda though.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Link to these stats?
    Google, I'm in work and only get 30 mins for lunch break

Is there any reason to believe that the Joseph Rowntree Foundation findings are less that accurate?

From https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit...-opportunities
    An exerpt:

"We found that support for Brexit was strongest in areas where a large percentage of the population did not have any qualifications and were ill-equipped to thrive amid a post-industrial and increasingly competitive economy that favours those with skills and is operating in the broader context of globalisation. For instance, 15 of the 20 ‘least educated’ areas voted to leave while all of the 20 ‘most highly educated’ areas voted to remain. Support for Brexit was also stronger than average in areas with a larger number of pensioners. Of the 20 youngest authorities 16 voted to remain, but of the 20 oldest authorities 19 voted to leave."