+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

New Scottish independence ref bill announced

A consultation gets under way next week on plans for a second Scottish independence referendum, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed.

She told the party's Glasgow conference that an independence referendum bill would be published next week.
    It marks the first step in holding a second vote.

The first, which took place on 18 September, 2014, resulted in a "no" to independence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-37634338

Scots receive the most per head in the Union.

The Bank of England previously said they will not be allowed to keep the pound.

They will have to negotiate their own health contracts.

They will have to take their portion of the UK's debt.

Many in Scotland have said the SNP are prioritising moaning about independence instead of actually running the country.

The North Sea is decimated.

Good luck.

(My mistake, I meant for this to be on the politics forum)

Re: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

The EU has made it clear that any new members will also have to join the Eurozone, which is falling to pieces. As you say, good luck with that.

And their application for membership will be vetoed by Spain anyway because they are fighting a similar battle to keep Catalonia as part of Spain. If Scotland gained membership it would offer massive encouragement to the Catalans.

Oh leave it out. She won't stop until they leave. She could have a daily referendum and would still find another reason to try and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The EU has made it clear that any new members will also have to join the Eurozone, which is falling to pieces. As you say, good luck with that.

And their application for membership will be vetoed by Spain anyway because they are fighting a similar battle to keep Catalonia as part of Spain. If Scotland gained membership it would offer massive encouragement to the Catalans.
    Yeah much better to stick with the ever dependable pound.
    *Checks current exchange rate*
    Oh.

I don't think Spain would veto Scotland entering the EU at all. They might make some posturing about it but I can't see it happening.

The plight of Gibraltar will be an interesting to follow once Brexit takes place. The population may not wish to join Spain but people crossing the border for work in either direction may have concerns.

Let's all move to Scotland, let's all move to Scotland, la lah lah la, la lah lah la.

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots.

OH dear, that will leave England Wales and Norn Irland.

Who will win Wimbledon then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    OH dear, that will leave England Wales and Norn Irland.

Who will win Wimbledon then?
    Djokovic.

As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Djokovic.

As usual.
    Much as I enjoyed your retort.

I think you will find it was the other famous European Mr Andrew Murray at the last time of asking.

I think you will find it was the other famous European Mr Andrew Murray at the last time of asking.
    At least the record books would show all the Brits reaching Euro 2016 I suppose.

First Team

He is safe and sound living in Surrey these days.

I guess his own Scotexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    He is safe and sound living in Surrey these days.

I guess his own Scotexit.
    Nothing wrong with a Scotexit from where I am standing

Some of the main arguments to stay from the last time around was that they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the EU and they wouldn't get to keep the pound.

The pound is around its lowest value since the 1840s and leaving is the only way to stay IN the EU

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    IF the SNP had won the referendum - Scotland as a nation would - using the SNP economic figures would now be bankrupt and would be asking the EU to bail it out.

She knows that , and she knows that all of Scotland know it to.
    Scotland would be a net contributor to the EU, and one of the richer nations

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Some of the main arguments to stay from the last time around was that they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the EU and they wouldn't get to keep the pound.

The pound is around its lowest value since the 1840s and leaving is the only way to stay IN the EU
    To put that in some context, the last time the pound was as worthless as this Ireland (then part of the UK) was in the midst of the great famine.
    Losing the pound might not be as much of a bargaining point as it was last time around

I have no idea about the EU but wasn't the Scottish plan mainly based on oil, and the oil price has since collapsed?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-15bn-deficit

(The scottish) Deficit is now equivalent to 9.5% of its GDP, with latest figures showing bigger gap between tax income and spending than UK

The UK’s estimated deficit for the same period was 4% of GDP.

The Scottish and UK governments spent £1,200 a head more on public services in Scotland, and on Scotland’s share of UK and overseas spending, while overall tax receipts fell by £400 a head.

Compared with spending at UK level, that led to a gulf of £1,600 a head between what was raised in taxes and spent in Scotland. Overall government spending as a share of the economy increased again to reach nearly 44% of Scotland’s GDP, compared with 40% at UK level.

I don't think they are any position to claim they are a powerhouse that would thrive immediately post independence.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 14-10-16 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I have no idea about the EU but wasn't the Scottish plan mainly based on oil, and the oil price has since collapsed?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-26326117

"More than half of the North Sea oil reserves have been extracted"

North Sea oil supplied 67% of the UK's oil demand in 2012 and 53% of the country's gas requirements and is a major boost to the country's economy.

Should've done what norway did and put everything into a fund. But we needed the £'s and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    It has an impact, but it isn't as severe as some people make out.
    Without any oil revenue Scottish gdp per capita is within 1% of the rest of the uk.
    And I wouldn't bet that the oil prices will stay this low forever.

Let them go.We have the Scottish MP's in Westminster being as disruptive as they can we could do without them. The Scottish finances are not very good and the EU would not let them in as they are just as bad as Greece.They would not be allowed to have the pound sterling as their currency.The cost of oil has gone right down.To put it in a nutshell they would be right in the shit.So please go and take your share of the national debt with you because you take more out of the UK than you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-26326117

"More than half of the North Sea oil reserves have been extracted"

North Sea oil supplied 67% of the UK's oil demand in 2012 and 53% of the country's gas requirements and is a major boost to the country's economy.

Should've done what norway did and put everything into a fund. But we needed the £'s and energy.
    We should have put it into a fund but we needed the energy? Do you think they store oil and gas in a big tank somewhere where it can gather interest.

We should have made a capital fund, and we didn't NEED the money, governments of the time decided instead to use the money to lower taxation to try to grow the economy. They could have had the fund and kept taxation higher. At least then the money would have been invested in the country, not syphoned away by multinationals

Let them go.We have the Scottish MP's in Westminster being as disruptive as they can we could do without them. The Scottish finances are not very good and the EU would not let them in as they are just as bad as Greece.They would not be allowed to have the pound sterling as their currency.The cost of oil has gone right down.To put it in a nutshell they would be right in the shit.So please go and take your share of the national debt with you because you take more out of the UK than you put in.

We should have put it into a fund but we needed the energy? Do you think they store oil and gas in a big tank somewhere where it can gather interest.

We should have made a capital fund, and we didn't NEED the money, governments of the time decided instead to use the money to lower taxation to try to grow the economy. They could have had the fund and kept taxation higher. At least then the money would have been invested in the country, not syphoned away by multinationals
    Ye that is what I mean, a capital fund from the sales.

I thought independence referendums were all about the repatriation of legislative power and that economic realities weren't important. Has that changed in a few months?