+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Scottish independence ref bill announced

A consultation gets under way next week on plans for a second Scottish independence referendum, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed.

She told the party's Glasgow conference that an independence referendum bill would be published next week.
    It marks the first step in holding a second vote.

The first, which took place on 18 September, 2014, resulted in a "no" to independence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-37634338

Scots receive the most per head in the Union.

The Bank of England previously said they will not be allowed to keep the pound.

They will have to negotiate their own health contracts.

They will have to take their portion of the UK's debt.

Many in Scotland have said the SNP are prioritising moaning about independence instead of actually running the country.

The North Sea is decimated.

Good luck.

(My mistake, I meant for this to be on the politics forum)

Re: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

The EU has made it clear that any new members will also have to join the Eurozone, which is falling to pieces. As you say, good luck with that.

And their application for membership will be vetoed by Spain anyway because they are fighting a similar battle to keep Catalonia as part of Spain. If Scotland gained membership it would offer massive encouragement to the Catalans.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The EU has made it clear that any new members will also have to join the Eurozone, which is falling to pieces. As you say, good luck with that.

And their application for membership will be vetoed by Spain anyway because they are fighting a similar battle to keep Catalonia as part of Spain. If Scotland gained membership it would offer massive encouragement to the Catalans.
    Yeah much better to stick with the ever dependable pound.
    *Checks current exchange rate*
    Oh.

I don't think Spain would veto Scotland entering the EU at all. They might make some posturing about it but I can't see it happening.

The plight of Gibraltar will be an interesting to follow once Brexit takes place. The population may not wish to join Spain but people crossing the border for work in either direction may have concerns.

Oh leave it out. She won't stop until they leave. She could have a daily referendum and would still find another reason to try and leave.

Let's all move to Scotland, let's all move to Scotland, la lah lah la, la lah lah la.

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots.

OH dear, that will leave England Wales and Norn Irland.

Who will win Wimbledon then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    OH dear, that will leave England Wales and Norn Irland.

Who will win Wimbledon then?
    Djokovic.

As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Djokovic.

As usual.
    Much as I enjoyed your retort.

I think you will find it was the other famous European Mr Andrew Murray at the last time of asking.

Some of the main arguments to stay from the last time around was that they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the EU and they wouldn't get to keep the pound.

The pound is around its lowest value since the 1840s and leaving is the only way to stay IN the EU

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Some of the main arguments to stay from the last time around was that they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the EU and they wouldn't get to keep the pound.

The pound is around its lowest value since the 1840s and leaving is the only way to stay IN the EU
    To put that in some context, the last time the pound was as worthless as this Ireland (then part of the UK) was in the midst of the great famine.
    Losing the pound might not be as much of a bargaining point as it was last time around

Let them go.We have the Scottish MP's in Westminster being as disruptive as they can we could do without them. The Scottish finances are not very good and the EU would not let them in as they are just as bad as Greece.They would not be allowed to have the pound sterling as their currency.The cost of oil has gone right down.To put it in a nutshell they would be right in the shit.So please go and take your share of the national debt with you because you take more out of the UK than you put in.

I thought independence referendums were all about the repatriation of legislative power and that economic realities weren't important. Has that changed in a few months?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I thought independence referendums were all about the repatriation of legislative power and that economic realities weren't important. Has that changed in a few months?
    Yeah we are fed up with so called experts and their doom mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It can be for a strong economy like the UK. Not necessarily so much for Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    It can be for a strong economy like the UK. Not necessarily so much for Scotland.
    so what do you do? Wait for a state that has made them poor for decades, to make them rich again? It's just not going to happen. Thankfully people up there are starting to slowly realise this. I fear we are a bit too far behind

SNP desperate to take the attention off them. Doing pretty badly up there. Using any tactics to take attention away from that. Was a bit like the argentinian president who tried to shift the focus from a dire economy to falklands to try and divert anger. And the scots have a lot of anger.

Banned

I believe its now called 'Joxit'.

Pfas.

Let the sweaties go I say. They contribute nothing other than a massive welfare bill, I have no idea why the Tories are so keen to keep them on board but I have a theory that most of them would like shot of them. I have nothing against Scottish people, seeking independence if that is what the people want but the harsh realities are for the SNP is that they lost the last referendum, it's as if 45% is bigger than 55%.

I keep hearing about what great prosperity Scotland will have on it's own but when they are pushed they are so hazy as to why this will happen. It's not about improving Scottish peoples lives at all, it's more Braveheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Let the sweaties go I say. They contribute nothing other than a massive welfare bill, I have no idea why the Tories are so keen to keep them on board but I have a theory that most of them would like shot of them. I have nothing against Scottish people, seeking independence if that is what the people want but the harsh realities are for the SNP is that they lost the last referendum, it's as if 45% is bigger than 55%.

I keep hearing about what great prosperity Scotland will have on it's own but when they are pushed they are so hazy as to why this will happen. It's not about improving Scottish peoples lives at all, it's more Braveheart.
    How did you vote in the EU referendum?

Considering Sturgeon made the effort to come to Wales to speak at the Plaid conference, I believe the SNP would settle for a refocus of the UK so that it is 4 united countries rather than England plus Scotland, England plus Wales, England plus Northern Ireland.

I wonder how many people wanting the UK to remain could successfully answer a quiz on Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish politics?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Considering Sturgeon made the effort to come to Wales to speak at the Plaid conference, I believe the SNP would settle for a refocus of the UK so that it is 4 united countries rather than England plus Scotland, England plus Wales, England plus Northern Ireland.

I wonder how many people wanting the UK to remain could successfully answer a quiz on Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish politics?
    the current system only rally cares for England (London even). It's not going to change, so the alternative to look after yourself is independence