+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

Re: New Scottish independence ref bill announced

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We should have put it into a fund but we needed the energy? Do you think they store oil and gas in a big tank somewhere where it can gather interest.

We should have made a capital fund, and we didn't NEED the money, governments of the time decided instead to use the money to lower taxation to try to grow the economy. They could have had the fund and kept taxation higher. At least then the money would have been invested in the country, not syphoned away by multinationals

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I thought independence referendums were all about the repatriation of legislative power and that economic realities weren't important. Has that changed in a few months?
    Yeah we are fed up with so called experts and their doom mongering.

SNP desperate to take the attention off them. Doing pretty badly up there. Using any tactics to take attention away from that. Was a bit like the argentinian president who tried to shift the focus from a dire economy to falklands to try and divert anger. And the scots have a lot of anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I thought independence referendums were all about the repatriation of legislative power and that economic realities weren't important. Has that changed in a few months?
    It can be for a strong economy like the UK. Not necessarily so much for Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    It can be for a strong economy like the UK. Not necessarily so much for Scotland.
    so what do you do? Wait for a state that has made them poor for decades, to make them rich again? It's just not going to happen. Thankfully people up there are starting to slowly realise this. I fear we are a bit too far behind

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I did wonder if rjk was serious with that comment, surely not..... As you say

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I did wonder if rjk was serious with that comment, surely not..... As you say

I am indeed aware that people store oil and gas in big tanks.
    However that isn't usually what we would call a sovereign fund, I was just pointing out that needing the energy is no obstacle to setting up a fund

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I understand the Let em Go sentiment but is not the UK guilty of the same ideas as the braveheart Scots ?

We can go it alone in the world - free trade deals - deal with other countries outside the EU etc
    Scotland seems to have a bit of an identity crisis - it wants independence (well the SNP do) and they love the braveheart stuff - yet at the same time - it wants to be in the EU, defacto in the Euro, and their economy seems to (apparently) fail the EU entry test.

Should we Scotland go it's own way and put border controls up ?, we could do without 50 disruptive SNP MPs, Scotland gets more than it gives from the UK as a whole apparently

New fecking Labour have a lot to answer for with all the devolution sh1t - I preferred it as it was , I would also prefer if we just called ourselves the UK or GB and got rid of Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England
    I think we can keep wales, Scotland and northern Ireland, but it is England that needs to get split up.
    England is over 10 times bigger than the next largest constituent nation, and therefore is always going to dominate.
    Split up England back to the days of the Anglo Saxon heptarchy and give all nations an equal footing in a new federal UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think we can keep wales, Scotland and northern Ireland, but it is England that needs to get split up.
    England is over 10 times bigger than the next largest constituent nation, and therefore is always going to dominate.
    Split up England back to the days of the Anglo Saxon heptarchy and give all nations an equal footing in a new federal UK.
    It's an idea I've though about a few times. I spoke to a few people at university about it (English men and women). They didn't seem too keen on splitting England into bits.

FWIW I think this is the only way the UK will survive the next 10 years. And after that, rUK won't last long

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    It's an idea I've though about a few times. I spoke to a few people at university about it (English men and women). They didn't seem too keen on splitting England into bits.

FWIW I think this is the only way the UK will survive the next 10 years. And after that, rUK won't last long
    The home nations championship would be ****ing awesome though.

Banned

I believe its now called 'Joxit'.

Pfas.

Let the sweaties go I say. They contribute nothing other than a massive welfare bill, I have no idea why the Tories are so keen to keep them on board but I have a theory that most of them would like shot of them. I have nothing against Scottish people, seeking independence if that is what the people want but the harsh realities are for the SNP is that they lost the last referendum, it's as if 45% is bigger than 55%.

I keep hearing about what great prosperity Scotland will have on it's own but when they are pushed they are so hazy as to why this will happen. It's not about improving Scottish peoples lives at all, it's more Braveheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Let the sweaties go I say. They contribute nothing other than a massive welfare bill, I have no idea why the Tories are so keen to keep them on board but I have a theory that most of them would like shot of them. I have nothing against Scottish people, seeking independence if that is what the people want but the harsh realities are for the SNP is that they lost the last referendum, it's as if 45% is bigger than 55%.

I keep hearing about what great prosperity Scotland will have on it's own but when they are pushed they are so hazy as to why this will happen. It's not about improving Scottish peoples lives at all, it's more Braveheart.
    How did you vote in the EU referendum?

Considering Sturgeon made the effort to come to Wales to speak at the Plaid conference, I believe the SNP would settle for a refocus of the UK so that it is 4 united countries rather than England plus Scotland, England plus Wales, England plus Northern Ireland.

I wonder how many people wanting the UK to remain could successfully answer a quiz on Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish politics?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Considering Sturgeon made the effort to come to Wales to speak at the Plaid conference, I believe the SNP would settle for a refocus of the UK so that it is 4 united countries rather than England plus Scotland, England plus Wales, England plus Northern Ireland.

I wonder how many people wanting the UK to remain could successfully answer a quiz on Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish politics?
    the current system only rally cares for England (London even). It's not going to change, so the alternative to look after yourself is independence