+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Westworld - Possible spoilers

Westworld - Possible spoilers

Anyone else watching it?
    Just watched episode 2, can't work out if I like it or not. The man in black storyline is a bit confusing but the acting is brilliant.
    Interested in what others think

Re: Westworld - Possible spoilers

Good so far, but knowing t he original film was simply "robots go mad", i can't work out if this series is going to be the same, or whether there's going to be a conspiracy back-story. There usually is, these days.

It's got to be a conspiracy back-story. "Robots gone mad" is fine for a single film, but for a TV series across several seasons you need far, far more to sustain interest.

What I suspect is that the corporation behind it have some very specific plans. Westworld is clearly a tourist attraction as far as the staff are concerned but Hopkins visions are enabled - clearly he desires to make the robots as human as possible maybe even more so. The corporation aim to use Hopkins work for their own reasons, using Westworld as a testing ground.

Harris' character is confusing. Really can't decide if he's a tourist or in fact a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It's got to be a conspiracy back-story. "Robots gone mad" is fine for a single film, but for a TV series across several seasons you need far, far more to sustain interest.

What I suspect is that the corporation behind it have some very specific plans. Westworld is clearly a tourist attraction as far as the staff are concerned but Hopkins visions are enabled - clearly he desires to make the robots as human as possible maybe even more so. The corporation aim to use Hopkins work for their own reasons, using Westworld as a testing ground.

Harris' character is confusing. Really can't decide if he's a tourist or in fact a robot.
    This is baffling me too.

There seems to be a lot of robots killing robots in the storylines.
    Surely tourists are supposed to be the killers?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post

I think he's the young Anthony Hopkins playing his own game. It's one theory I suppose

I'm enjoying it though. Think it will have a great plot unlike the original film. It's building

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    This is baffling me too.

There seems to be a lot of robots killing robots in the storylines.
    Surely tourists are supposed to be the killers?
    Robots can kill robots. It's as you say needed for the storylines. Think of a narrative, say gangs coming to raid the brothel, shooting up the saloon. Some gang members shot by patrons, patrons killed. As some would say #RobotLivesMatter

What we have seen is that Harris' character can't be killed by robots. That indicates he's human - or at least, robots perceive him to be, triggering code that prevents them killing him.

His actions towards the robots though seems pretty brutal, almost inhumane. Almost as if some form of enlightened / evolved robot operating at a higher level using brutality to find his goal, whatever that maze is.

I'm all for getting deep and thinking about our being, but sometimes I just can't be arsed. It gives me a headache.

Good first two episodes though. Reminds me of the truman show and that idea.

I watched half the old film but never all of it.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 14-10-16 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I'm all for getting deep and thinking about our being, but sometimes I just can't be arsed. It gives me a headache.

Good first two episodes though. Reminds me of the truman show and that idea.

I watched half the old film but never all of it.
    The old film was very good for its day.
    I recently read that it was the first film to employ CGI, when showing the world through robot eyes with infra-red.
    Crude and low-tech now, but, as I said, effective at the time.

Some interesting thoughts above cheers. Nobody I know watches it so good to be able to discuss here.

At first I had assumed that the man in black was the new Yul Bryner robot. I can't quite work out what's going on with him, I guess that's the whole point though. Maybe he's spent so long there he has become desensitised to the violence and looking for bigger kicks? There was a key moment in the control room where they were discussing how many robots he'd killed, and they said "He can do whatever he wants" implying he was either their best customer, or part of the corporation, or something else?

It was written as if the staff believed he was one of the human tourists - after all, it's the tourists experience, shaped by their actions with the resort presenting narrative storylines.

If you look at things on an out of the box basis ( or more likely, be prone to believe utter garbage ) note the robots are formed from a white substance - a pure, "innocent" colour. Harris character dresses in pure black. Classic contrast - good vs evil. Clean vs dirt. Ying, yang. That lends me to believe his character is in fact a robot that's become enlightened / corrupted as in the original film, seeking to use whatever changed him to get whatever is possible from that "maze" to possibly lead a robot revolt? Maybe aided by the corporation for whatever reason that the staff are unaware of?

Maybe he is a robot programmed to think he is a guest, one of Hopkins original toys.
    Sent in every year to work scenarios but developing sentience.

That's a good idea. I like it.

Only issue for me would be how it ties in with the corporation. We know Westworld is really a facade for something else - even the staff are unaware. Is Harris tied into the corporation or a separate storyline?

I'm wondering if the corporation is really a facade for the military - developing life like robot able to infiltrate societies as sleeper agents? Knowing Hopkins desire to create as life like AI as possible, where better to test it than in a theme park? Maybe there's a way of switching off the "can't kill humans" code that could be triggered - and maybe the Harris character is either deliberately or inadvertently finding that trigger?

What will people think when Ed Harris kills a tourist?

If the TV series keeps to the essence of the book and film, we know the "black robot" kills humans. We know robots eventually kill humans.

So it keeps that ambiguity around Harris - could be human, could be robot. At some point though they'll have to pull the trigger ( pun intended ), if it goes several series with "is he / isn't he" it'll get dull and contrived.