+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Like' Word

The 'Like' Word

Working in Cathays (Studentsville) and was queuing in Lidl, infront of me were three student lasses who spoke very loudly-not a problem. What did grab my attention was the frequency of the word 'Like' as a Conjunction, i kid you not, the one girl must have used it every third word, i have to admit, it was getting on my tits. And another thing while i'm at it-is there a special place where students are produced that i don't know about, because they all seem to have the same accent, a sort of condescending estuary English. They can't all be born in the same village!

Re: The 'Like' Word

That 'university' accent has been around for years now. I remember commenting on it back in the 90s. It's the uni equivalent of the Radio 'Mid Atlantic' accent, and both sound ridiculous.

I read a report ages ago about the study of accents, and unfortunately, the Estuary Thames thing will be the majority accent in the UK in 100 years or so. Thankfully I won't be around to be nauseous from listening to it.

American TV shows are to blame, like.
    Oww Emmm Geeeee!

Wil I Am got a bollocking off Mirium Margoules on the Graham Norden show for continually saying "like"

Look it up on you tube, very funny

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    That 'university' accent has been around for years now. I remember commenting on it back in the 90s. It's the uni equivalent of the Radio 'Mid Atlantic' accent, and both sound ridiculous.

I read a report ages ago about the study of accents, and unfortunately, the Estuary Thames thing will be the majority accent in the UK in 100 years or so. Thankfully I won't be around to be nauseous from listening to it.
    Must be a southern middle class accent, the thing that i find odd is that i don't seem to hear any regional accents amongst the student population, obviously there are scousers, brummies etc, though not too many. Maybe it's a reflection on which parts of society are represented in the better Universities. While i'm at it, the 'Can i get' instead of 'Can i have' that one curdles my milk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Must be a southern middle class accent, the thing that i find odd is that i don't seem to hear any regional accents amongst the student population, obviously there are scousers, brummies etc, though not too many. Maybe it's a reflection on which parts of society are represented in the better Universities. While i'm at it, the 'Can i get' instead of 'Can i have' that one curdles my milk as well.
    Oh shit, now we're talking *cringes*

Another Americanism that idiots over here have latched onto is to start every sentence or answer to a question with 'So,....'

Proper grips my shyte does that. It's worse on radio whenever a male or female 'expert' is on. AAaaarrggghhhhhhh

'I'm good' is one that makes me cringe. I try to be tolerant in life but some people need to be shot.

And what's all this 'work colleague' crap? A tortology too far

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    'I'm good' is one that makes me cringe. I try to be tolerant in life but some people need to be shot.

I say both

Another one that bugs is me the faux cool 'happy days' at the end of a sentence, or as an acknowledgement. We've got an incredible language with gazillions of incredibly great sounding words yet we use barely a fraction of them, old fruit.

I say both

Another one that bugs is me the faux cool 'happy days' at the end of a sentence, or as an acknowledgement. We've got an incredible language with gazillions of incredibly great sounding words yet we use barely a fraction of them, old fruit.
    gazillions

you are right, uni's will take the pick of entries now, of course affluent middle class england students will be well catered for

Why do so many people say " you know" in their conversation,it really pisses me off.

I was stood behind a bloke in the Spar the other day who says "Can I get 20 Lambert and Butler". The man behind the counter threw the box of fags at his head and told him to get the f*ck out if his shop.

I think 2like" is more a chavy local thing than middle class students.

Loads of the younger chavvy birds in Fairwater finish every sentence with in.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Why do so many people say " you know" in their conversation,it really pisses me off.
    People do say "you know". But do people say it very much? As much as "...like .." ?

I remember my ancient relatives using "you know" its been part of British/English speech for a very long time.
    Not saying that makes it any.. you know .. less annoying

Oh shit, now we're talking *cringes*

Another Americanism that idiots over here have latched onto is to start every sentence or answer to a question with 'So,....'

Proper grips my shyte does that. It's worse on radio whenever a male or female 'expert' is on. AAaaarrggghhhhhhh
    Anyone who repeatedly starts a sentence with '"So" should be clubbed to death. I hate it and the morons who speak in this moronic way.

So, like, while we're like, you know on the subject of modern annoyances in a Room 101 style, how about the massive twats that have taken it upon themselves to start queueing in line at the bar in pubs! This particular scourge seems to be mainly restricted to Wetherspoons at the moment and it should be vigorously and, if necessary, violently stamped out before it becomes the norm.

Why do people also say "perfect" in response to being given an answer to something. It's ****ing annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    So, like, while we're like, you know on the subject of modern annoyances in a Room 101 style, how about the massive twats that have taken it upon themselves to start queueing in line at the bar in pubs! This particular scourge seems to be mainly restricted to Wetherspoons at the moment and it should be vigorously and, if necessary, violently stamped out before it becomes the norm.
    Manners and respect is one thing, but that is plainly wrong.

Do the feckers say 'so.. ummmm .. like .. I'll get a pint of Carling, uuummm .. like .. with a side of podaydo chips .. to go' when they reach the front of this queue?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Tautology as well

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Manners and respect is one thing, but that is plainly wrong.

Do the feckers say 'so.. ummmm .. like .. I'll get a pint of Carling, uuummm .. like .. with a side of podaydo chips .. to go' when they reach the front of this queue?
    They almost certainly do, but I wouldn't know as I simply ignore said queue and go straight to the bar. The bar staff always serve me and are universally at a loss to understand how or why this bizarre phenomenon came about.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Tautology as well

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I've noticed this in the Wetherspoons down the Bay, as you say it's annoying. Get to the bar and fight it out like normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I've noticed this in the Wetherspoons down the Bay, as you say it's annoying. Get to the bar and fight it out like normal people.
    The Mount Stewart is the worst. I've seen a line of people about 30 long snaking through the pub. That at a bar which must be at least 25 feet long! I just don't get it at all.

I blame the university accent on David Baddiel.

More terrible expressions: 'enjoy!' which makes everyone sound like a middle aged woman in loose fitting satin, and 'just saying' which translates as 'please don't ask me to back up what I'm just saying'.