+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock and his team of battlers see off the old enemy.

Warnock and his team of battlers see off the old enemy.

Re: Warnock and his team of battlers see off the old enemy.

The most committed and organised display since our promotion season. Will be interesting to see how Richardson and Chamakh can be integrated into the team. It's nice to have options for a change.

A very good article as usual Bob

You mention the defensive work put in by Noone & Hoilet last night & this was very noticeable to me. As a result, whenever Bristol City attacked down the flanks we were able to double up most of the time which made Peltier's & Bennett's jobs that much easier.

You correctly highlight the need to better support Lambert up front & I think that Chamakh has been brought in to fill this role. That said if it doesn't work out I am pretty sure that Warnock will make this a priority in January (or before if he can unearth any more free agents).

I think "battlers" was a great word to use; over the years I've felt we've been at times too soft, been physically bullied off the pitch.

I have to agree with Warnock.
    There's a 'trendy' obsession with possession stats and building these up by aimless square and backward passes- often ending up in a panicked hoof upfield from the keeper.

All this does is allow the opposition to organise their defence .

A few seasons ago naive teams would chase around the back 4 or 5 and good technical footballing sides would expose the holes, but these days most sides sit back and watch, waiting for the clubfoot centre half to cocked up.

Fast counter attacking and the occasional long ball to a decent target man are far more effective in causing the sort of chaos that creates chances on my eyes, and far more exciting to watch.

This doesn't fit Sky's model of 'modern football', or suit the hundreds of boring square ball foreign players in the prem, but it's my kind of football.

A physical battle, played at pace with plenty of incident

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    aimless square and backward passes- often ending up in a panicked hoof upfield from the keeper.
    Spot on. Winds me right up, why not try an attack in the first place if you're happy enough for your keeper to hoof it upfield for a 50% chance of winning the header in the same part of the field you were already in?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I have to agree with Warnock.
    There's a 'trendy' obsession with possession stats and building these up by aimless square and backward passes- often ending up in a panicked hoof upfield from the keeper.

All this does is allow the opposition to organise their defence .

A few seasons ago naive teams would chase around the back 4 or 5 and good technical footballing sides would expose the holes, but these days most sides sit back and watch, waiting for the clubfoot centre half to cocked up.

Fast counter attacking and the occasional long ball to a decent target man are far more effective in causing the sort of chaos that creates chances on my eyes, and far more exciting to watch.

This doesn't fit Sky's model of 'modern football', or suit the hundreds of boring square ball foreign players in the prem, but it's my kind of football.

A physical battle, played at pace with plenty of incident
    Perhaps it's Cardiff style of football too.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Spot on. Winds me right up, why not try an attack in the first place if you're happy enough for your keeper to hoof it upfield for a 50% chance of winning the header in the same part of the field you were already in?
    Plus if it's Leo up front you also get the added entertainment of playing spot the ball with your mates as you wonder where the ball ended up going.

A good summary.

Re. the Bristol City, Swansea City thing, I've never felt the genuine animosity that I hold for all things Bristol, with Swansea. Anyone who has spent time in both places will know exactly what I'm talking about..