+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ched Evans

Ched Evans

I want to keep this thread free of morality and his conviction etc.

Talk of him playing for Wales. Is he any better than what we already have? He had a purple patch a few years ago but was always on the decline [IMO]

Re: Ched Evans

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Talk of him playing for Wales. Is he any better than what we already have? He had a purple patch a few years ago but was always on the decline [IMO]
    No idea. I haven't watched Chesterfield recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No idea. I haven't watched Chesterfield recently.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

In his last season he scored 29 in 36 league games for Sheffield United and has scored 4 in 7 for Chesterfield this season

Basically, he's better than Simon Church

A lot of Sheff utd want him back, let's be honest we only have vokes and hrk as out and out strikers would maybe try him in a friendly but would the faw allow him to be picked

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    A lot of Sheff utd want him back, let's be honest we only have vokes and hrk as out and out strikers would maybe try him in a friendly but would the faw allow him to be picked
    Legally they couldn't deny him.

Having just watched Joe Allen scoring a brace for Stoke on MOTD I reckon we should play him up front for Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Legally they couldn't deny him.
    They could and they should

Who would play in midfield to take his place ?
    He was badly missed against Georgia .

If Coleman thinks he is good enough then he should bring him back!!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    In his last season he scored 29 in 36 league games for Sheffield United and has scored 4 in 7 for Chesterfield this season

Basically, he's better than Simon Church
    If his international return of one in thirteen continued he'd score three in thirty six, only slightly better than Simon Church.

It's likely that his talents are good enough to be considered for the squad if we're looking at a PES like game.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If his international return of one in thirteen continued he'd score three in thirty six, only slightly better than Simon Church.

It's likely that his talents are good enough to be considered for the squad if we're looking at a PES like game.
    Get your point but your basic maths is a bit awry.
    You don't work for HMRC do you?

By the way, whether you are for or against Ched Evans playing for Wales, he is far better than Church.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Get your point but your basic maths is a bit awry.
    You don't work for HMRC do you?

By the way, whether you are for or against Ched Evans playing for Wales, he is far better than Church.
    Church won 9 caps last season, playing a grand total of 144 minutes. He made 1 start in the Ukraine. His average playing time as substitute is 10 minutes, 22 seconds.

Church would be barely missed in terms of his appearances, which, in terms of use, he's there for the last few minutes to give someone a rest.

Evans would be the same, just competition for a bench warmer at best.

Broken down, his goal ratio in the Championship is 0.24, where he hasn't played a game at that level for 5 years (though not because of his footballing ability). His goal ratio in League 1 is 0.77. That suggests to me where his level is - not quite good enough in the Championship but easily good enough for League 1.

If he is able to force his way into the Championship and score more regularly than he did before then we can ask the question of him being a part of the Wales set up. At present I think he's behind the likes of Bradshaw and rightly so.

Looking at Evans' international record and comparing it to current internationals is unfair on Evans because he played in a worse Wales team, earning all of his caps between 2008 and 2011

Looking at Evans' international record and comparing it to current internationals is unfair on Evans because he played in a worse Wales team, earning all of his caps between 2008 and 2011
    What makes you think he'd be any better than what we have?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What makes you think he'd be any better than what we have?
    I think he's better than Church

I think he's better than Church
    So still unlikely to be involved in any real capacity, then.

So still unlikely to be involved in any real capacity, then.
    The question was is he better than anything we currently have, Church regularly gets in the squad (somehow) and I think Evans was/is better

The question was is he better than anything we currently have, Church regularly gets in the squad (somehow) and I think Evans was/is better
    I think that's the key word - was. Evans has played a few games in League 1 after a long spell out of the game and suddenly we're saying he's Wales 3rd best forward.

I think that's the key word - was. Evans has played a few games in League 1 after a long spell out of the game and suddenly we're saying he's Wales 3rd best forward.
    Anyone who thinks Evan isn't better than Church must have bad eyes. Although I agree 3 years out could make it tough for him, but if he proves he's decent enough of course he should play for Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Anyone who thinks Evan isn't better than Church must have bad eyes. Although I agree 3 years out could make it tough for him, but if he proves he's decent enough of course he should play for Wales.
    Ahead of Bradshaw?

I don't see Ched Evans as a forward likely to start making a claim for a regular place. I'd sooner a youngster get the experience. Toshack's blooding of young players has helped us get where we are. Evans might well be better than Church, yes I'd just about go along with that as the season progresses and Evans gets back into the swing of things. But for me, it's highly unlikely he'll ever be better than our 3rd choice forward. His career stats don't suggest he's likely to ever threaten the forwards we currently have and I think it would be wrong to deny younger players a go for someone in that position.

Ahead of Bradshaw?

I don't see Ched Evans as a forward likely to start making a claim for a regular place. I'd sooner a youngster get the experience. Toshack's blooding of young players has helped us get where we are. Evans might well be better than Church, yes I'd just about go along with that as the season progresses and Evans gets back into the swing of things. But for me, it's highly unlikely he'll ever be better than our 3rd choice forward. His career stats don't suggest he's likely to ever threaten the forwards we currently have and I think it would be wrong to deny younger players a go for someone in that position.
    I don't really know about Bradshaw as I've never really seen him play.

However I think Evans was a much better player than Church before he went to prison, whether the stats proved that or not as a player he was clearly better. Whether he still is remains to be seen, but I'd prefer a player who's scoring goals and in his peak rather than blooding a youngster for the future. Football is about now. Toshack might get some credit but the reality is that it's more down to having a few brilliant players, and not anything to do with a handful of international games donkeys years ago.

I don't expect to see Ched Evans in the Wales squad. He was better than Church and may be still, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement as Church is not good enough anyway.

The fact that Church makes our squad regularly just shows how short of strikers we are.

Evans is (was) not better than Vokes or HRK so I would prefer to keep them and, as suggested already, add a couple of promising youngsters.

Chatter about him ""coming" to Cardiff in January ?

Although those 13 games were probably played when we were crap?