+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi advice required

Hi-Fi advice required

I know that my question may resemble 'How long is a piece of string' but without knowing much about such things, what is the best hi-fi set-up I can get if I spend up to a grand and bearing in mind I would be using it in conjunction with an iPod and I won't need a turntable? I've had a poke around on Richer Sounds website but putting different 'separates' together is something I know nothing about.

Richyrich

Re: Hi-Fi advice required

If all you're using is an ipod, you just need an amp and speakers. There's no need to spend a grand to amplify MP3s. You may as well just get an amplified monitor set up.

This should do nicely:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FYpehgodRCgIUA

I was always advised to spend 1/3 on each part - CD player/turntable, amp and speakers.

I would always go to a hi fi store, I use Audi Excellence in Cardiff, but i assume you are in Taunton. I'm not an iPod person, I still use CDs and vinyl as the quality will be better. A good system would show up the deficiencies in mp3 type music though. A good set of cables between amplifier and speakers would also help, aim for about £100 for those, and a good pair of cables between CD (if you're having one) and amp are better than the basic cheap leads supplied in the box, they make a heck of a difference.
    So if you are only using an iPod as input you could spend about £450 each on amp and speakers and about £100 on cables.

Have a look at the website
    http://www.audiot.co.uk

Look up a hi fi shop near you and go and visit, try and avoid Richer sounds.

Tony

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I have most of my music on CDs but I do tend to like the 'randomize' option on an iPod.
    Is there really that much difference in quality between those two options?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I have most of my music on CDs but I do tend to like the 'randomize' option on an iPod.
    Is there really that much difference in quality between those two options?
    If you don't notice a difference, don't worry about it. There's no point in over complicating matters, keep it simple.

I'm so old my ears are shot,playing music through the telly's sound bar is about all they can handle

Richyrich

The problem with hi-fi is everyone has different taste and what sounds good to some people doesn't sound so good to others. For some it's all about bass while for some it's all about the midrange and for some it's about a sweet top end. The best advice is listen to as much gear as you can in your price range because all makes have there own "signature sound".

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I was always advised to spend 1/3 on each part - CD player/turntable, amp and speakers.

I would always go to a hi fi store, I use Audi Excellence in Cardiff, but i assume you are in Taunton. I'm not an iPod person, I still use CDs and vinyl as the quality will be better. A good system would show up the deficiencies in mp3 type music though. A good set of cables between amplifier and speakers would also help, aim for about £100 for those, and a good pair of cables between CD (if you're having one) and amp are better than the basic cheap leads supplied in the box, they make a heck of a difference.
    So if you are only using an iPod as input you could spend about £450 each on amp and speakers and about £100 on cables.

Have a look at the website
    http://www.audiot.co.uk

Look up a hi fi shop near you and go and visit, try and avoid Richer sounds.

Tony
    I agree with this this, although you could also add a Streamer and use far better quality files.

I have one of these http://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/n-50/review and it really is excellent. Although I mostly only play vinyl now mind.

One thing I would disagree with is Richer Sounds, well the Richer Sounds shop in Cardiff anyway. They have some very very knowledgeable staff and really helpful. You can also pick up some bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    The problem with hi-fi is everyone has different taste and what sounds good to some people doesn't sound so good to others. For some it's all about bass while for some it's all about the midrange and for some it's about a sweet top end. The best advice is listen to as much gear as you can in your price range because all makes have there own "signature sound".
    It also depends on the characteristics of the room where you listening. Something might sound great in the shop then be different when you have it set up at home.

worth a look and read reviews some good stuff sold at good prices ,why pay more when you don't have too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-HiFi/...ode=2589474031

Make sure you listen to this one TBG. It will do everything you could want including streaming far higher quality files than MP3 and is put together to sound as good as possible from a one-box solution including speakers.

It has the added advantage of being able to also act as a soundbar for your TV too if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Make sure you listen to this one TBG. It will do everything you could want including streaming far higher quality files than MP3 and is put together to sound as good as possible from a one-box solution including speakers.

It has the added advantage of being able to also act as a soundbar for your TV too if you want.
    At the risk of sounding like the customer played by Mel Smith in the Youtube clip posted earlier in the thread (and making you all wet yourselves with laughter)..... doesn't such a system lose the stereo effect to some degree if the speakers are all in one place? (Maybe I shouldn't have thrown out my stereogram)

At the risk of sounding like the customer played by Mel Smith in the Youtube clip posted earlier in the thread (and making you all wet yourselves with laughter)..... doesn't such a system lose the stereo effect to some degree if the speakers are all in one place? (Maybe I shouldn't have thrown out my stereogram)
    AAAAAHAHAHAHA WHAT A CHUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    AAAAAHAHAHAHA WHAT A CHUMP
    Many a true word....

Many a true word....
    I'd like to know the answer as well to be honest, I always thought the common wisdom was to have the speakers dotted around in certain places to get the full effect.

Stereo is just an effect. And unless you're wearing headphones or sitting in a sweet spot it gets lost anyway. I listen to most music in mono.

Have you considered something like a sonos system?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Have you considered something like a sonos system?
    I haven't really considered anything prior to starting this thread. I thought that I would take advantage of the expertise here as a good starter. Having just looked it up I see that it's another 'mono' thingy - but I used to like hearing twin guitarists having their own speaker, as it were. Best shoot me now before I go extinct. Alternatively, please feel free to educate me!
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 18-10-16 at 20:25.

I haven't really considered anything prior to starting this thread. I thought that I would take advantage of the expertise here as a good starter. Having just looked it up I see that it's another 'mono' thingy - but I used to like hearing twin guitarists having their own speaker, as it were. Best shoot me now before I go extinct.
    I'm no expert, I have mates who spend thousands on speakers and read boring hi fi magazines but that's not for me.
    I just got a sonos system and a subscription to a music streaming service, like Napster. Sounds perfectly fine to me and I've ended up listening to loads more music again as a result.

You can also play your music library off a computer if you don't want to pay the £5 a month to stream it

I know that my question may resemble 'How long is a piece of string' but without knowing much about such things, what is the best hi-fi set-up I can get if I spend up to a grand and bearing in mind I would be using it in conjunction with an iPod and I won't need a turntable? I've had a poke around on Richer Sounds website but putting different 'separates' together is something I know nothing about.
    Hierarchy is; Source, Amp, Speakers and not forgetting speaker cable and speaker stands.
    You already have the source (IPOD), your amp would be the next most important, not really up to date now, but years ago and if on a budget you would have been looking at a NAD 3020, mid-point Audiolab, top end Naim Audio, avoid anything with graphic equalisers, tone controls and all the Fancy Dan crap, it only gets in the way of the signal, I’ll be looking to upgrade my amp shortly and will be looking at something from Cambridge Audio or Arcam. Speakers I wouldn't have a clue, i'm still using a mid 80's pair of wharfdale diamonds and they sound bluddy great

A decent site http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/

Hi TBG

With all these things the best thing to do is listen for yourself. You will be surprised how 'wide' the sound appears.

This is near the bottom end of the offering from this company and they are renowned for the quality of their systems. Basically, all they know in a single box.

I have the smaller version of this (the Muso Qb) for the kitchen and everyone who hears it comments on the scale and quality of the sound from such a relative small box. It is in a different league soundwise to the Sonos offerings, but should be for the price.

The way I'd describe it is that you'd use the Sonos type systems for TV speakers and background music, while you can sit down and happily listen to the Muso as a proper stereo too.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a traditional stereo then I'd support an earlier suggestion to find your nearest proper HiFi retailer and ask them show you what is possible for £1000. They will be best used to producing the best systems to a price point and you'll start off with a much better chance of getting what you want.

Most good HiFi retailers will usually let you try the system at home as well to make sure it suits your room before you finally purchase. Audio T in Cardiff is no more expensive than John Lewis either for the Muso. You can also hear the higher cost systems so you know what your money is buying you.

£1000 is a fair bit of money - enjoy listening to a few systems before buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Hi TBG

With all these things the best thing to do is listen for yourself. You will be surprised how 'wide' the sound appears.

This is near the bottom end of the offering from this company and they are renowned for the quality of their systems. Basically, all they know in a single box.

I have the smaller version of this (the Muso Qb) for the kitchen and everyone who hears it comments on the scale and quality of the sound from such a relative small box. It is in a different league soundwise to the Sonos offerings, but should be for the price.

The way I'd describe it is that you'd use the Sonos type systems for TV speakers and background music, while you can sit down and happily listen to the Muso as a proper stereo too.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a traditional stereo then I'd support an earlier suggestion to find your nearest proper HiFi retailer and ask them show you what is possible for £1000. They will be best used to producing the best systems to a price point and you'll start off with a much better chance of getting what you want.

Most good HiFi retailers will usually let you try the system at home as well to make sure it suits your room before you finally purchase. Audio T in Cardiff is no more expensive than John Lewis either for the Muso. You can also hear the higher cost systems so you know what your money is buying you.

£1000 is a fair bit of money - enjoy listening to a few systems before buying!
    Many thanks to you and all the other contributors. I don't NEED to spend a grand but thought it's about time I bought a decent system - and if that's what it takes I would have to bite the bullet. I realise that listening to these systems is advisable but I can't imagine that it's easy with a sales person hanging around and being the centre of attention in a shop whilst each one is tried out.