+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Worst Prime Minister Of The Last 100 Years - THATCHER!

The Worst Prime Minister Of The Last 100 Years - THATCHER!

The Historical Writers Association have voted! Worst PM in last 100 years:

1. Thatcher (24%)

2. Cameron (22%)

3. Chamberlain (17%)

4. Blair (11%)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...turys-worst-pm

Former HWA chair Manda Scott said she voted for Thatcher for reasons of “neoliberalism, de-industrialisation, free-market ideology, Scottish poll tax, selling council houses and failing to act on early stages of global warming”, while the historical crime writer DE Meredith said that Thatcher “spawned a terrible lack of compassion at the heart of British politics, which we still live with today”

“David Cameron is a mediocrity who’s single-handedly brought on the UK’s biggest crisis in 75 years,” said the author Tom Harper, programming chair of the Harrogate History festival, which will take place from 20-23 October. “Neville Chamberlain had to contend with Hitler, Eden with Nasser: Cameron couldn’t see off Nigel Farage.”

If I was a xenophobic hedge-fund manager with a liking for champaign and a dislike of pigs, I might disagree with this!

Banned

Re: The Worst Prime Minister Of The Last 100 Years - THATCHER!

Right on man.

What's their criteria for judging it?

Not quite the same thing but the 4 most historically important politicians of my lifetime would have to be Thatcher, Blair, The Sturge and Farage. Which doesn't of course mean that I like them - although I do love The Sturge to be fair.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Historical Writers Association have voted! Worst PM in last 100 years:

1. Thatcher (24%)

2. Cameron (22%)

3. Chamberlain (17%)

4. Blair (11%)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...turys-worst-pm

Former HWA chair Manda Scott said she voted for Thatcher for reasons of “neoliberalism, de-industrialisation, free-market ideology, Scottish poll tax, selling council houses and failing to act on early stages of global warming”, while the historical crime writer DE Meredith said that Thatcher “spawned a terrible lack of compassion at the heart of British politics, which we still live with today”

“David Cameron is a mediocrity who’s single-handedly brought on the UK’s biggest crisis in 75 years,” said the author Tom Harper, programming chair of the Harrogate History festival, which will take place from 20-23 October. “Neville Chamberlain had to contend with Hitler, Eden with Nasser: Cameron couldn’t see off Nigel Farage.”

If I was a xenophobic hedge-fund manager with a liking for champaign and a dislike of pigs, I might disagree with this!
    This is a Guardian vote, so it's going to have an idealogical angle.

I think it's still too early to judge Cameron. As Blair once said "History will judge me". Which it will. Same goes for Cameron.

What's this quote referring to? Brexit? "David Cameron is a mediocrity who’s single-handedly brought on the UK’s biggest crisis in 75 years"

I'm becoming ever more convinced that Cameron is a Brexiteer anyway. And perhaps even Corbyn too. History will judge Brexit too, not IMF forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    What's their criteria for judging it?

Not quite the same thing but the 4 most historically important politicians of my lifetime would have to be Thatcher, Blair, The Sturge and Farage. Which doesn't of course mean that I like them - although I do love The Sturge to be fair.
    By "The Sturge" Gab, do you mean Sturgeon? I used to have a respect for her positions, but having educated myself a little I'm finding her to be quite hypocritical. And if she's not hypocritical then she's simply too loony left for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    This is a Guardian vote, so it's going to have an idealogical angle.

It's not a Guardian vote - just reported in the Guardian. However, I am not claiming that historical novelists are typical of the great British public when it comes to denouncing former premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    By "The Sturge" Gab, do you mean Sturgeon? I used to have a respect for her positions, but having educated myself a little I'm finding her to be quite hypocritical. And if she's not hypocritical then she's simply too loony left for me.
    Yes bro - Nicola Sturgeon. The smartest and most capable politician of recent times. Harnessed the animus generated by the referendum loss and channelled it into historically annihilating Labour in Scotland. She's a player and a goddess.

Yes bro - Nicola Sturgeon. The smartest and most capable politician of recent times. Harnessed the animus generated by the referendum loss and channelled it into historically annihilating Labour in Scotland. She's a player and a goddess.
    Just fueled nationalism.

Ask most scots and theyve done a shit job of actually controlling the country.

Define how this gremlin is smart of capable.

Banned

Rik agrees

image.jpg

“neoliberalism - um, what?

de-industrialisation - What this women would work down a mine?

Free-market ideology - what did blair do?

Scottish poll tax - I don't care

Selling council houses - That is why many of your generation own their homes

Failing to act on early stages of global warming - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL She literally just said she deindustrialised

This is what Tories have to deal with. The absolving of crimes such as blairs which has lead to millions of dead, because labour apparently are for the poor.

Chamberlain is unfairly treated by history.
    If we had gone to war in 1938 it would have been disastrous and Hitler would have easily defeated us. Publicly he was appeasing Hitler, but behind the scenes the uk military was being built up to a position we could defend ourselves. That delay in going to war could have been as crucial as anything Churchill did in winning the war, but it is not widely acknowledged

Chamberlain is unfairly treated by history.
    If we had gone to war in 1938 it would have been disastrous and Hitler would have easily defeated us. Publicly he was appeasing Hitler, but behind the scenes the uk military was being built up to a position we could defend ourselves. That delay in going to war could have been as crucial as anything Churchill did in winning the war, but it is not widely acknowledged

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Just fueled nationalism.

Ask most scots and theyve done a shit job of actually controlling the country.

Define how this gremlin is smart of capable.
    Far too simple to say she just fuelled nationalism. She saw how hopelessly cowed by the right-wing media Ed Miliband was and stole traditional Labour votes by banging the 'red Tory' drum. A successful tactic which helped her to make history. I don't know how many seats the SNP had in Scotland before she became leader but they won 56 out of 59 at the last GE. That's smart and capable.

Far too simple to say she just fuelled nationalism. She saw how hopelessly cowed by the right-wing media Ed Miliband was and stole traditional Labour votes by banging the 'red Tory' drum. A successful tactic which helped her to make history. I don't know how many seats the SNP had in Scotland before she became leader but they won 56 out of 59 at the last GE. That's smart and capable.
    Whilst it happened on Jimmy Krankies watch, I think Alex Hamilton should probably take more credit for it as all the ground work was his.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Whilst it happened on Jimmy Krankies watch, I think Alex Salmond should probably take more credit for it as all the ground work was his.
    Fixed it fella ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Fixed it fella ;-)
    Oh yeah, knew it didn't sound right.

Wasn't he the nutter up at Wrexham a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Oh yeah, knew it didn't sound right.

Wasn't he the nutter up at Wrexham a few years ago?
    Or.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMwyKiIJ5Ew

They've all been rotten since Gladstone. Perhaps the only one who can be seen as not quite so bad as the others was Harold Wilson and that's just because he kept us out of the Vietnam War. Cameron, Blair, Major, Thatcher, etc all stank like rotten fish.

Thatcher was the best PM for me, she improved my life more than the others although I thought Blair did a decent job (Immigrants and Iraq aside). Thatcher was great for some people but it all depended on what your attitude was and I was a go getter and thrived under her. If you worked hard under Maggie you were rewarded, far too many sat on their laurels and even now people blame her for their pitiful lives.

Long live Maggie, thank you for everything you did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Thatcher was the best PM for me, she improved my life more than the others although I thought Blair did a decent job (Immigrants and Iraq aside). Thatcher was great for some people but it all depended on what your attitude was and I was a go getter and thrived under her. If you worked hard under Maggie you were rewarded, far too many sat on their laurels and even now people blame her for their pitiful lives.

Long live Maggie, thank you for everything you did for me.
    Pitful lives? They blame her for their pitclosed lives. I just seen that it is pitiful. That's spoiled it.

If you were a go getter why couldn't you thrive under any Prime Minister. What did she do for you? Did you get a job in the Cabinet?
    Last edited by David Vincent; 18-10-16 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Pitful lives? They blame her for their pitclosed lives.
    They were going to close anyway, Thatcher just bit the bullet. People should have left the Valleys sought work elsewhere like their ancestors did. Most people in the valleys will be able to trace their ancestry back to either West Wales or the midlands who left those areas in search of earning good money away from working the land as farming labourers. I cringe when I hear someone from the Valleys still blaming Thatcher when they should have taken a leaf out of their forefathers book and got off their arses and found employment elsewhere.

Pit workers had plenty of transferable skills, those with a bit of enterprise got out as soon as they could.

Banned

I'd say it's a toss up between the Artful Dodger and the Porridgewog Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    They were going to close anyway, Thatcher just bit the bullet. People should have left the Valleys sought work elsewhere like their ancestors did. Most people in the valleys will be able to trace their ancestry back to either West Wales or the midlands who left those areas in search of earning good money away from working the land as farming labourers. I cringe when I hear someone from the Valleys still blaming Thatcher when they should have taken a leaf out of their forefathers book and got off their arses and found employment elsewhere.

Pit workers had plenty of transferable skills, those with a bit of enterprise got out as soon as they could.
    They should have protected the coal industry and the steel industry. Thatcher sold the country down the river by following the advice of free trade fanatics. Most of the people in mining came from elsewhere but why should these communities be destroyed just because of some here today and gone tomorrow politicians and a few economists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    They should have protected the coal industry and the steel industry. Thatcher sold the country down the river by following the advice of free trade fanatics. Most of the people in mining came from elsewhere but why should these communities be destroyed just because of some here today and gone tomorrow politicians and a few economists.

How many of the South Wales pits were making a profit?

anyone who wanted a life in the pits for their sons should be locked up for child cruelty. it was a blessing they were shut.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    How many of the South Wales pits were making a profit?
    Why should a Nationalised coal mine make a profit. China subsidises its key industries and it seems to be doing ok.