+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: stopping on double yellow lines

stopping on double yellow lines

If you are the driver, and stop on a double yellow line with hazard lights flashing and drop a person off, have you committed a prosecutable offence. The car remains running and you obviously do not leave the vehicle and drive off within 20-30 seconds.....?

cia

Re: stopping on double yellow lines

Not according to which

While you’re not allowed to park on double yellow lines, you can actually stop for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purpose of picking up or dropping off passengers and their luggage, as long as no stopping restrictions are in force.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...parking-ticket

I'd love to know where in the Highway Code it mentions that putting your hazards on nullifies any other offences being committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    If you are the driver, and stop on a double yellow line with hazard lights flashing and drop a person off, have you committed a prosecutable offence. The car remains running and you obviously do not leave the vehicle and drive off within 20-30 seconds.....?

cia
    Who are you spying on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'd love to know where in the Highway Code it mentions that putting your hazards on nullifies any other offences being committed.
    There was that one time I decided to recreate Grand Theft Auto ( the first and best game version ) by running people over on the pavement.

That hazard light trick saved my bacon in court, I can tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hazard warning lights are known in our house "I'm parked illegally" lights

International

single yellow line: No parking
    double yellow line: no stopping.
    Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Simples.
    holding the line bamber was a mence

SINGLE YELLOW LINES
    Yellow lines whether single or double are used to indicate to motorists that waiting restrictions are in force.

The basic fundamentals of double and single yellow line rules are the same.

The difference between single and double yellow lines in their basic form are that double yellow lines indicate no waiting at any time and single yellow lines indicate a part time waiting restriction in force.

Single yellow lines are placed at the sides of roads to prevent motorists parking in particular areas to aid in preventing traffic congestion at certain times of the day or days of the week.

SINGLE YELLOW LINE PARKING RULES ( those with times shown )

Single yellow line rules state that a restriction is imposed for motorists to park or wait within the controlled times displayed. Yellow time plate signs are placed adjacent to inform drivers of the times of day they are not permitted to park. If the yellow time plate does not display any days of operations, this will imply the restriction is in force on each day of the week as can be seen in the images.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    SINGLE YELLOW LINES
    Yellow lines whether single or double are used to indicate to motorists that waiting restrictions are in force.

The basic fundamentals of double and single yellow line rules are the same.

The difference between single and double yellow lines in their basic form are that double yellow lines indicate no waiting at any time and single yellow lines indicate a part time waiting restriction in force.

Single yellow lines are placed at the sides of roads to prevent motorists parking in particular areas to aid in preventing traffic congestion at certain times of the day or days of the week.

SINGLE YELLOW LINE PARKING RULES ( those with times shown )

Single yellow line rules state that a restriction is imposed for motorists to park or wait within the controlled times displayed. Yellow time plate signs are placed adjacent to inform drivers of the times of day they are not permitted to park. If the yellow time plate does not display any days of operations, this will imply the restriction is in force on each day of the week as can be seen in the images.
    Excellent post but the OP was asking about DOUBLE yellow lines. do you have the same information regarding those? It would be useful.

Simples.
    Incorrect.

Yellow lines are for parking restrictions as indicated by a small rectangular sign (rectangle = information), but you can stop to drop off or pick up someone,
    Double RED lines mean no stopping. (usually further indicated by a red cross on a blue background, on a round sign (round signs = order)

In Ireland it's slightly different.
    One green line = No parking at all.
    Two green lines = No parking at all, at all.

Excellent post but the OP was asking about DOUBLE yellow lines. do you have the same information regarding those? It would be useful.
    Understand that it does say though :

basic form are that double yellow lines indicate no waiting at any time

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    There was that one time I decided to recreate Grand Theft Auto ( the first and best game version ) by running people over on the pavement.

That hazard light trick saved my bacon in court, I can tell you...
    Pffft

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Understand that it does say though :

basic form are that double yellow lines indicate no waiting at any time
    That I agree with. you cannot stop even to drop off is the basic rule.

I have always understood that single yellow lines mean no parking which indicates that,subject to any time restrictions on an accompanying sign, you can stop so long as you remain in your vehicle (With the engine running??? )
    A double yellow is always no stopping.
    Double red lines were introduced in London to keep bus routes clear, but I've never seen them anywhere else.

From the Highway Code about double yellows:

"Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions. The times at which the restrictions apply for other road markings are shown on nearby plates or on entry signs to controlled parking zones. If no days are shown on the signs, the restrictions are in force every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays. White bay markings and upright signs (see below) indicate where parking is allowed."

This is the current info from the Highway code site
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high.../road-markings

Waiting restrictions
    Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions. The times at which the restrictions apply for other road markings are shown on nearby plates or on entry signs to controlled parking zones. If no days are shown on the signs, the restrictions are in force every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays. White bay markings and upright signs (see below) indicate where parking is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Hazard warning lights are known in our house "I'm parked illegally" lights
    Crikey, people are parking in your house? I wouldn't like that, even if they helpfully put their hazards on.