+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Replacement Ford (Focus) keys

Replacement Ford (Focus) keys

Anyone got any tips or experience with these.

My issue is that the plastic in the key fob has cracked and now the buttons are not making contact with the battery. I asked in Timpsons if they could rehouse the circuit board and battery in a new plastic fob but they just blustered that I needed to re-programme the whole thing and wanted £120.

Re: Replacement Ford (Focus) keys

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

My issue is that the plastic in the key fob has cracked and now the buttons are not making contact with the battery. I asked in Timpsons if they could rehouse the circuit board and battery in a new plastic fob but they just blustered that I needed to re-programme the whole thing and wanted £120.
    Try Fordthorne

(not very)Thinly veiled "I've got a Focus" post IMO.

New ones are dearer these days. £120 is a bargain, it will probably cost you double that at a Ford dealer.

Get a replacement key from ebay. You shouldn't have to fork out more than a tenner. Programme the new key yourself - look it up online - basically put a working key in the ignition and turn it to position 2, 4 or 5 times. Now press the buttons on the ebay remote and it should register it. Depending on the type of key you can switch the 'blade' part out onto the ebay remote or you may need to carry two keys around. Cheaper than £120.

The price you pay for owning a luxury motor

Don't be fobbed off!

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Try Fordthorne
    Over £200 for them to replace the fob part and reprogramme at Fordthorne

It's been suggested I get a new key off ebay and i can get it cut to match my existing blade. Either get a fob with no innards and replace mine or get one with the gubbins and programme it myself.

Will have to try and get my head around it.

Actually I've just taken my fob apart and one of the components has detatched itself from the circuit board.

So I need a replacement key with the electronics, then get it cut and then try to programme it myself. Or just keep using it the old fashioned way.

Have you tried the starting handle? Put it in the front just above the bumper and rotate if I recall.

First Team

Had a similar problem with a VW fob where the battery kept on draining. A locksmith said whilst they could cut a key you would have to go back to a VW dealer to get a new fob as they are linked to the car security. Had to take the car to the dealer hand in all three key fobs and produce ownership details and photo ID before they would do the job.£230 and an hour wait ! Luckily VW waived the charge when I went off on one and started muttering about consumer rights etc. Real pain in the backside but at least they had the decency to not charge me ( in the end).
    That will teach me to leave Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Don't be fobbed off!
    Right barrel of laughs this ��

Try this Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus...IAAOSwi0RXzomP

If you dont have a spare key to keep your car mobile, I will sort you out with one of my "free" cars ...