+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Expectations for tonight and ideas in the team

Expectations for tonight and ideas in the team

It's not going to be as intense as it was on Friday. I hope the desire is still there from everyone.

I've not heard of any injuries, actually has Warnock had a press conference? I wonder if Chamakh will get a run out to take some pressure off Lambert

Re: Expectations for tonight and ideas in the team

I'm expecting to lose and the team will be the same, barring a few changes. (all posts covered)

Think Pilkington might start and I have a feeling Whitts might be on the bench.

I think Wednesday are a better team than the wurzels, so I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw.

I'm expecting an unchanged side.
    Would like to see what Chamakh can do.

I was hugely impressed with the way Warnock motivated the team, so am hoping for similar levels of intensity despite it not being a Derby.

I'm feeling strangely confident, most unlike me.

I hope O'Keefe gets a start, other than that I'd like the same level of commitment and fight they showed last week and if we win it is a bonus.

I'm going for my usual, when feeling optimistic, 2-1 City

There may be some surprises as NW has a chance to look at players more closely, after another weeks training.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Warnock will be so up for this one - he hates them - they hate him.
    No idea on the score but at least we will be up for the fight for all 3 points
    He's not going to want to lose against Wednesday is he. That adds a great twist to it.

Same starting lineup I think

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    I hope O'Keefe gets a start, other than that I'd like the same level of commitment and fight they showed last week and if we win it is a bonus.

Me too instead of Ralls.

I think he used a 4 - 1 - 4 -1 set-up with Rotherham last season when they beat Wednesday, so expect Gunnar to stay as the DM in front of the back 4.

I think there may be other changes though. Bennett and Hoilett need games and didn't do anything to deserve being dropped - so even if Jazz is fit I think he and Declan will miss out in the LB slot.

If Pilkington is fit I would expect him to start. If Lambert isn't fit (or Neil is saving him for Forest) then maybe Chamakh - but I would be happier if he was eased in rather than started after not playing for so long. But Pilkington alone up front is not great. He doesn't hold the ball like Lambert (or Immers who despite his poor form is better as a target).

Ralls was better against Bristol City, but still not to the standard he set last year and could miss out. As Richardson is only on a short deal and needs to play soon, I wouldn't be surprised if he started in place of Ralls or came on for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think he used a 4 - 1 - 4 -1 set-up with Rotherham last season when they beat Wednesday, so expect Gunnar to stay as the DM in front of the back 4.

I think there may be other changes though. Bennett and Hoilett need games and didn't do anything to deserve being dropped - so even if Jazz is fit I think he and Declan will miss out in the LB slot.

If Pilkington is fit I would expect him to start. If Lambert isn't fit (or Neil is saving him for Forest) then maybe Chamakh - but I would be happier if he was eased in rather than started after not playing for so long. But Pilkington alone up front is not great. He doesn't hold the ball like Lambert (or Immers who despite his poor form is better as a target).

Ralls was better against Bristol City, but still not to the standard he set last year and could miss out. As Richardson is only on a short deal and needs to play soon, I wouldn't be surprised if he started in place of Ralls or came on for him.
    We were definitely playing a 4-1-4-1 on Friday. Nice to see whittingham further forward, hopefully he can have more influence on the game from there.

I expect the crowd to be considerably smaller so hopefully that won't impact on the atmosphere too much. I'm sure it helped v the Slave Traders.

I think he might keep the winning team. I'd like to see Pilks get a start though. Hoping to see the same from Gunnarson as well.

3-1 City

We need a strong midfield for this one. Bannon will ring through Ralls and Whitts if they start. I think O'keefe and An improved Gunners should start. Whitts maybe. Rallls no. As said above they are a better outfit than the Wurzels. We need to be at our best for this one. A draw would be a good result.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I think Wednesday are a better team than the wurzels, so I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw.
    With you on that (unless it is a 90+ minute away goal )

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We were definitely playing a 4-1-4-1 on Friday. Nice to see whittingham further forward, hopefully he can have more influence on the game from there.

Last season at home we were 2-0 up against them at h/t. Wednesday then put Forestieri in the hole behind their striker and they and he had a benefit. They scored two and should have won. Slade compounded this lack of tactical nous by making no provision for him in the end of season game and over 90 mins we were slaughtered.

I'm sure Warnock will again go 4141 tonight and put Gunnars on Forestieri. I'd also play Richardson in centre of midfield in place of, 'Dick,' so add more pace through the centre. Lambert deserves a rest and I'd swop the wingers over so, for me, tonight it would be:

Amos;
    Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett;
    Gunnars;
    Hoilett, Richardson, Ralls, Noone;
    Chamakh

StT.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    Me too instead of Ralls.
    I didn't know you played football?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Last season at home we were 2-0 up against them at h/t. Wednesday then put Forestieri in the hole behind their striker and they and he had a benefit. They scored two and should have won. Slade compounded this lack of tactical nous by making no provision for him in the end of season game and over 90 mins we were slaughtered.

I'm sure Warnock will again go 4141 tonight and put Gunnars on Forestieri. I'd also play Richardson in centre of midfield in place of, 'Dick,' so add more pace through the centre. Lambert deserves a rest and I'd swop the wingers over so, for me, tonight it would be:

Amos;
    Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett;
    Gunnars;
    Hoilett, Richardson, Ralls, Noone;
    Chamakh

StT.
    If Richardson plays can we sing ooooohhh Kieron Kieron....? It'll be just like '93 again.

Forestieri is very much like Tomlin - Picks the ball up between midfield and attack and drives at defenders - another big display needed by Gunnar

Strangely just like Tomlin he looks overweight and has a problem with standing up if anybody goes near him

Id rather they play Hooper than Fletcher

I'd be surprised to see Lambert again tonight

Get into them and eff em up is the order of the day I suspect

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Forestieri is very much like Tomlin - Picks the ball up between midfield and attack and drives at defenders - another big display needed by Gunnar

Strangely just like Tomlin he looks overweight and has a problem with standing up if anybody goes near him

Id rather they play Hooper than Fletcher

I'd be surprised to see Lambert again tonight

Get into them and eff em up is the order of the day I suspect

Forestieri has got a reputation as a diver - another similarity with that diving cheat Tomlin.

He got 10 yellows and 2 reds in the league last year and many observers think he got off lightly (should have had at least 2 more reds) - although all those fair minded folk in Sheffield 6 think he's just misunderstood and picked on.

Lambert won a hell of a lot of headers against Bristol, if be surprised if he was dropped, as Warnock's style doesn't generally involve stroking it aroundthe park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post

None of this happened.

Ralls was disappointing again. Morrison was very dodgy. A lone striker up front with no support. No finesse with passing a ball up the field. We were not good in going forward.

Wednesday deserved to win that game. They gave a master class in possession and some lovely moves.

City looked like Slade was in charge ... hoof ball and no creativity.

A very lucky point saved thanks to Bamba.