+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest tesla self driving car

Latest tesla self driving car

They've gone a big step up from previous offerings with 12 cameras, 8 sonars and radar.

https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-se...are-all-teslas

Love the way the bloke jumps out while his car goes to look for a space.

Re: Latest tesla self driving car

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They've gone a big step up from previous offerings with 12 cameras, 8 sonars and radar.

https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-se...are-all-teslas

Love the way the bloke jumps out while his car goes to look for a space.
    That's all well and good, but when it's time to go home how do you know where the fecker is?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    That's all well and good, but when it's time to go home how do you know where the fecker is?
    You press a button on your phone and it drives to you

Looks amazing but I wonder what it does if it is unable to find a space.

I can't wait until driverless cars come around, if life goes to plan I reckon I might get about 20 years out it.

Brilliant stuff. It must be such a strange sensation to be in the drivers seat with the steering wheel in front of you but with something else doing the driving.

Have to say, I'd trust the car driving more than I would most people.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I have an acquaintance who has a Tesla (only paid 70k for it !!!) he is getting one of these new ones soon from their showroom over in Bristol.

Tesla guarantee a buy back with hardly any depreciation (as there is a long queue of people to buy them) , I also heard that all the servicing / parts are free - it's just the petrol/tyres/tax and insurance you pay for.

Give it a 5 years and we will all be driving them or a hybrid one using 'fake' fuel.

If true driverless cars do take off, will that mean that people will be happy to commute further distances?
    Places like the valleys could see an increase in demand for housing.

I have an acquaintance who has a Tesla (only paid 70k for it !!!) he is getting one of these new ones soon from their showroom over in Bristol.

Tesla guarantee a buy back with hardly any depreciation (as there is a long queue of people to buy them) , I also heard that all the servicing / parts are free - it's just the petrol/tyres/tax and insurance you pay for.

Give it a 5 years and we will all be driving them or a hybrid one using 'fake' fuel.
    I also think this will result in a lager drop in car ownership. Instead of buying a car and everything that's associated with it, we'll end up renting these as and when we need them, paying only for what we use. There'll be lots of different models, from single occupant to large vehicles. Buses and taxis would become a thing of the past.

If true driverless cars do take off, will that mean that people will be happy to commute further distances?
    Places like the valleys could see an increase in demand for housing.
    Only if the road infrastructure can cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He's ok, he said they'd be flying..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Once a critical mass of driverless cars were on the roads there would likely be less congestion, and roads could operate at higher traffic densities

What's the logic behind driverless cars meaning there will be less cars on the road. I've heard it quite a few times but not really sure why that is the case.

Doesn't a driverless car = the same as a driven car?

You order your rental car from your mobile phone. It turns up by driving itself, you use it and when finished click the app - and the car drives itself back to the depot, for a quick valet before being rented out again.

They about 270 miles on a full charge - and take 30 minutes to re charge again from a 13amp plug socket apparently
    Amazing that it takes my knackered old HTC phone about 2 and half hours to recharge and lasts around 100 miles on a train journey!

driverless car means you dont have an idiot behind the wheel, they observe the speed limit, dont get pissed or drug drive and dont break the speed limit. 100% better than what we have at the moment. Unless of course the car computers get hacked - and the remote control take option is disabled...
    Thinking they need a 'panic' mode for women who are late driving 200 yards to take their kids to school in a vehicle the size of a aircraft hangar.

driverless car means you dont have an idiot behind the wheel, they observe the speed limit, dont get pissed or drug drive and dont break the speed limit. 100% better than what we have at the moment. Unless of course the car computers get hacked - and the remote control take option is disabled...
    So what's the position if you're sat in the back seat of your driverless car off your face and the OB pull you over?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    What's the logic behind driverless cars meaning there will be less cars on the road. I've heard it quite a few times but not really sure why that is the case.

Doesn't a driverless car = the same as a driven car?
    I guess the ultimate aim is for driverless cars to communicate with each other. "I'm turning left in 650m" and so on, so they can drive closer together. On the outside lane on the motorway, for example, there'd be no need for such big gaps as human reaction time is no longer a factor. It'll be like you're surrounded by beemer drivers.

So what's the position if you're sat in the back seat of your driverless car off your face and the OB pull you over?
    Currently you'd get done for drunk driving and driving without due care and attention I'd imagine.
    Give it a few years though and the laws nay change

I'd imagine that once all cars are like this then police chases would be a thing of the past. They'd just hack into the car carrying the criminals. Lock the doors and drive them serenely to the nearest police station.

Currently you'd get done for drunk driving and driving without due care and attention I'd imagine.
    Give it a few years though and the laws nay change
    It would all depend if there was an element of having to control the vehicle in certain circumstances. You can be guilty of being drunk in charge of a horse.

It could be seen that you were unfit to take control of the driver less car in an emergency. In that case driver less taxi service would need an attendant.

I'd imagine that once all cars are like this then police chases would be a thing of the past. They'd just hack into the car carrying the criminals. Lock the doors and drive them serenely to the nearest police station.
    ** awaits Gluey, Mrs R, Organ, Splotty **

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It would all depend if there was an element of having to control the vehicle in certain circumstances. You can be guilty of being drunk in charge of a horse.

It could be seen that you were unfit to take control of the driver less car in an emergency. In that case driver less taxi service would need an attendant.
    Also begs the question if you need to have a driving licence

I'm not sure how many posting actually do much driving for a living, but I can assure you 'driver-less' cars will never be on UK roads, unless in special areas.

Pretty much every car journey each day - and there must be tens of millions in the UK alone - has at least one, probably many more, unique interactions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, road conditions, weather conditions etc, etc, .

In every case the driver - or drivers - act spontaneously to a unique situation, something which a computer cannot possibly replicate.

Like Amazon's drone delivery service, it's all hot air..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm not sure how many posting actually do much driving for a living, but I can assure you 'driver-less' cars will never be on UK roads, unless in special areas.

Pretty much every car journey each day - and there must be tens of millions in the UK alone - has at least one, probably many more, unique interactions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, road conditions, weather conditions etc, etc, .

In every case the driver - or drivers - act spontaneously to a unique situation, something which a computer cannot possibly replicate.

Like Amazon's drone delivery service, it's all hot air..
    "Google's self-driving cars, of which there are usually a dozen on the roads of California and Nevada at any given time, have now logged 700,000 miles of awesome accident-free autonomous driving."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...top-for-trains

Blog Entries

There was a bug in the earlier models that involved parking but it was soon ironed out after they sacked the woman in charge of parking module

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    ** awaits Gluey, Mrs R, Organ, Splotty **
    You will have a long wait for Splotty.

Also begs the question if you need to have a driving licence
    In the story about the guy crashing it says "Drivers are instructed to keep their hands on the steering wheel in case of a software hiccup." which kinda defeats the object really but I assume you would have to be a licenced driver?

Tesla driver dies in first fatal autonomous car crash in US
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-crash-in-us/