+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest tesla self driving car

Re: Latest tesla self driving car

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    "Google's self-driving cars, of which there are usually a dozen on the roads of California and Nevada at any given time, have now logged 700,000 miles of awesome accident-free autonomous driving."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...top-for-trains
    Roundabouts..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Roundabouts..
    Ah yes, of course. Well, it was a nice pipe dream while it lasted.

I'm not sure how many posting actually do much driving for a living, but I can assure you 'driver-less' cars will never be on UK roads, unless in special areas.

Pretty much every car journey each day - and there must be tens of millions in the UK alone - has at least one, probably many more, unique interactions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, road conditions, weather conditions etc, etc, .

In every case the driver - or drivers - act spontaneously to a unique situation, something which a computer cannot possibly replicate.

Like Amazon's drone delivery service, it's all hot air..
    Sorry but I think you've got this very wrong, and so do many people looking at the future of the industry.
    It may be 15-20 years away but it is coming and the driverless cars will make a much better job of it than people do

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also think this will result in a lager drop in car ownership. Instead of buying a car and everything that's associated with it, we'll end up renting these as and when we need them, paying only for what we use. There'll be lots of different models, from single occupant to large vehicles. Buses and taxis would become a thing of the past.
    Most definitely, the cars will be owned by google, apple and co. journeys paid for by apps, car ownership will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

You will have a long wait for Splotty.

In the story about the guy crashing it says "Drivers are instructed to keep their hands on the steering wheel in case of a software hiccup." which kinda defeats the object really but I assume you would have to be a licenced driver?

Tesla driver dies in first fatal autonomous car crash in US
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-crash-in-us/
    Yeah the versions we have now require a person to be in control of the car in case anything happens, but we are fast approaching the time where that will no longer be nessecary. Give it 15 years and it will have moved on massively.

The accident that guy had prompted them to add the radar and sonar sensors to this development.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Most definitely, the cars will be owned by google, apple and co. journeys paid for by apps, car ownership will be a thing of the past.
    They'll go and park in huge lots elsewhere, meaning our streets will be mostly free from parked cars.
    I remember playing cricket on the street in the 80s. That would be pretty much impossible now with all the cars parked about

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Will it be the end of dogging?
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 20-10-16 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Ah yes, of course. Well, it was a nice pipe dream while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Will it be the end of dogging?
    I'll always find a way

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah the versions we have now require a person to be in control of the car in case anything happens, but we are fast approaching the time where that will no longer be nessecary. Give it 15 years and it will have moved on massively.

The accident that guy had prompted them to add the radar and sonar sensors to this development.
    Better than hamsters in the headlamps notifying controls of things coming towards them. Particularly useless in the dark when they were blinded, they just ran round and round in circles.

They've gone a big step up from previous offerings with 12 cameras, 8 sonars and radar.

https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-se...are-all-teslas

Love the way the bloke jumps out while his car goes to look for a space.
    Will these things have to do a Theory and Test i wonder What if something goes wrong with the electrics? You could park in Cardiff and the car has a funny moment and ****s off to Milton Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Will these things have to do a Theory and Test i wonder What if something goes wrong with the electrics? You could park in Cardiff and the car has a funny moment and ****s off to Milton Keynes
    Also how long before someone puts their kids in the car,remembers they've left something in the house, runs back in and the car buggers off without them.

I guess they'll take some getting used to when they do arrive

I'm not sure how many posting actually do much driving for a living, but I can assure you 'driver-less' cars will never be on UK roads, unless in special areas.

Pretty much every car journey each day - and there must be tens of millions in the UK alone - has at least one, probably many more, unique interactions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, road conditions, weather conditions etc, etc, .

In every case the driver - or drivers - act spontaneously to a unique situation, something which a computer cannot possibly replicate.

Like Amazon's drone delivery service, it's all hot air..
    Luddite

At least the cars would not enter the yellow criss cross markings "unless the exit is clear" (highway code) that would really make the traffic flow quicker, not like today when idiots stop in the yellows on junctions and roundabouts blocking everything up, how stupid are these people?

My fathers been in a medium-top of the range tesla and he said its like something out of a scifi film.

The front computer is crazy he said:

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    My fathers been in a medium-top of the range tesla and he said its like something out of a scifi film.

The front computer is crazy he said:

I can't allow you to do that Dave

I can't allow you to do that Dave

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/models/design

"ludicrous speed upgrade" included.