+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Help Needed Where Was The Sundown Club Cardiff

Help Needed Where Was The Sundown Club Cardiff

Slade played there 3 December 1972 - The Sundown Club, Cardiff, Wales . ????

I saw Slade with Suzi Quatro and Thin Lizzy and I can't remember the actual date ( please help ) they played so many gigs around 71 / 72 and many times in and around Cardiff

Re: Help Needed Where Was The Sundown Club Cardiff

Don't think the Sundown was in Cardiff. There was one on the Mile End, In London, though. Think part of Hawkwind's 'Space Ritual' was recorded there

I did some digging about just out of curiosity really as I rather like finding out about Cardiff popular history ;)

Couldn't find much about a Sundown Club in Cardiff, though oddly, name does ring a bell.

Life on Mars - did you get the tour schedule from here?: http://www.donpowellofficial.com/don...71---1991.html
    I notice that a 'Sundown Club' is noted three times in the '72 itinerary - one in Mile End , London 7th September (club definitely existed, quite well known), then a 'Sundown' in Doncaster - 22 Nov and then supposedly another Sundown Club in Cardiff 3rd December.

I guess its possible. Could also be a mistake there somewhere.

Some older posters may remember whether there was ever a Sundown Club in Cardiff at all.
    Like I say, the name does seem to resonate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I did some digging about just out of curiosity really as I rather like finding out about Cardiff popular history ;)

Couldn't find much about a Sundown Club in Cardiff, though oddly, name does ring a bell.

Life on Mars - did you get the tour schedule from here?: http://www.donpowellofficial.com/don...71---1991.html
    I notice that a 'Sundown Club' is noted three times in the '72 itinerary - one in Mile End , London 7th September (club definitely existed, quite well known), then a 'Sundown' in Doncaster - 22 Nov and then supposedly another Sundown Club in Cardiff 3rd December.

I guess its possible. Could also be a mistake there somewhere.

Some older posters may remember whether there was ever a Sundown Club in Cardiff at all.
    Like I say, the name does seem to resonate.
    Yes I did it came about whilst searching for Slade Alive Tour Teeshirts and its listed on that tee. And like you I saw it on Don Powells site , I think your right its a mistake. That set me asking if any oldies remember the club , I certainly don't. There were a few Sundown clubs about in the UK , and on that winter 72 tour they played the Sunderland Sundown just before Cardiff ,which I think should read Top Rank.

My guess (clearly a guess) would also be: oops mistake - they typed Sundown Club twice, and for Cardiff actually meant Top Rank - or similar Cardiff venue in '72 (likely none? therefore .. likely Top Rank).

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    My guess (clearly a guess) would also be: oops mistake - they typed Sundown Club twice, and for Cardiff actually meant Top Rank - or similar Cardiff venue in '72 (likely none? therefore .. likely Top Rank).
    They played Cardiff University in March of '72 - it's conceivable that they played there a second time or perhaps Sophia Gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    They played Cardiff University in March of '72 - it's conceivable that they played there a second time or perhaps Sophia Gardens?
    They played everywhere in and around Cardiff ,Barry Penarth , Blackwood ,Caerleon , , and many other parts of Wales have a look at this link ,kindly posted by Vimana, http://www.donpowellofficial.com/don...71---1991.html the itinerary is daft and makes for astonishing reading during the 71 /72 years , I'm amazed they lived through it, image the transport links back then and bands doing that now ??

This one caught my eye ;

9 September 1972 - Top Rank, Weston Super Mare, UK
    10 September 1972 - Convention Center, Las Vegas (with Humble Pie) #

Legends , glad I grabbed a part of it .

Was it the Moon Club?

Mmmmm Moon Club was open in 71/72 .
    Last edited by life on mars; 21-10-16 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by EadosEados View Post
    Was it the Moon Club?
    What a place that was! A run-down pit at the top of the stairs and rubbish often strewn around the entrance. Urine overflowing from the loos and collecting around the platform the band played on. Having to sign in and get a 'free' but crusty hot dog. Newcastle Brown out of the bottle. Everyone stoned out of their minds (whereas I would be pissed at worst). Petuli oil and sweat permeating the atmosphere. Great music though. And someone once spiked my pint with LSD, which was a bit mind blowing.

^^

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    What a place that was! A run-down pit at the top of the stairs and rubbish often strewn around the entrance. Urine overflowing from the loos and collecting around the platform the band played on. Having to sign in and get a 'free' but crusty hot dog. Newcastle Brown out of the bottle. Everyone stoned out of their minds (whereas I would be pissed at worst). Petuli oil and sweat permeating the atmosphere. Great music though. And someone once spiked my pint with LSD, which was a bit mind blowing.
    I had my stag night there, back in the day when you held the stag the night before the wedding and prayed you go to the altar , my appearance the next day did take place, only after my best man thought it prudent to call at my house very early to awake me from my induced coma .

I also remember that axe mark left in the door by a disgruntle lad. ?