+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The NCB

The NCB

And the culpability of the Government laid bare.

50 years later. We will never forget or forgive.

https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/2...system-at-all/

Never forget.

Never forgive.

For the children.

Re: The NCB

Excellent piece of work , including the shutting of mines by Robens , hoe come Harold Wilson escapes the demonisation that thatcher suffered ?

A litany of shame and disgrace. To allow these incidents to happen in the first place was bad enough. To then treat the families with such contempt afterwards beggars belief.
    Robens was a cnut who should have been sacked as soon as the truth in Aberfan was known.

Wales was horribly let down by both Labour and Tory Governments. Even now I believe the parents did not receive any more than £500 for the loss of a child. Why has something not been done about this?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Was Harold Wilson PM then when it happened ?

Where was the enquiry ?, where was the criticism then and now of the Govt of the time ? - as I dont recall any
    Yes, he was.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Was Harold Wilson PM then when it happened ?

Where was the enquiry ?, where was the criticism then and now of the Govt of the time ? - as I dont recall any
    Yes there was an enquiry when Wilson was in power. Robens was a former Labour MP who in later life joined the Tories. Towards the end of the enquiry Robens admitted the NCB were at fault. He apparently made a token gesture offering his resignation safe in the knowledge Wilson wanted him to remain in post.
    The enquiry made very clear the NCB were totally at fault.

Shameful that heads didn't roll and that in subsequent decades no Government chose to properly compensate the families.
    Even in 1997 Blair only made the token effort of returning to the charity set up for Aberfan the £150,000 that Labour astonishingly removed from the charity funds to help the NCB remove the slurry from Aberfan.
    The Welsh Government in more recent times have given £1.5 million to the charity.They are the on!y ones to come out of this with a shred of credit.

So little response to this post today of all days.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Can't speak for everyone else, but for me it's not the day for anger or recrimination but quiet reflection.
    I've just watched "The green hollow", hard to find the words.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Can't speak for everyone else, but for me it's not the day for anger or recrimination but quiet reflection.
    I've just watched "The green hollow", hard to find the words.
    Yes today is about sadness,give our children and grandkids that extra hug.

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Look at me, look at me. I want to be the centre of attention

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Have a day off the attention seeking will you. Even trying to make the anniversary of the Aberfan disaster all about you.

There were plenty of posts in the other Aberfan thread TH63 started I don't know why you had to start this one.

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Why the surprise?

What are you trying to prove?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this but I wouldn't like to think that you're using a tragedy which is very personal to me as material so show off you smug superiority complex.

Have a day off, just this once butt.👍

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Really no need for this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Really no need for this at all.
    He's has posted his original post as thinly disguised anti leftie troll bait. When people saw it for exactly what it was - and ignored it - he returned, frustrated, and clumsily revealed his motive - yet again. Lower than low, been doing it for years.

Enough about him.

It is a disgrace that so little culpability was admitted at the time. Very sadly, that sort of scenario - where those in power were almost above having to answer to the masses - was still rather prevalent at the time. Same could be said for situations where negligent risk was allowed to go unheeded.
    Fortunately, things have changed a lot in that respect at least. We must believe that lessons were learned.
    But at such awful cost.

Admittance of wrong-doing and apology (FWIW) is important here.
    But this time is for thinking about the lost generation of Aberfan and their long suffering families, and wishing them peace.

Such was the appalling way that both Robens and George Thomas behaved during this period, magnifying the grief and hurt that the families suffered, they should have their peerages withdrawn retrospectively, if that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    He's has posted his original post as thinly disguised anti leftie troll bait. When people saw it for exactly what it was - and ignored it - he returned, frustrated, and clumsily revealed his motive - yet again. Lower than low, been doing it for years.

Enough about him.

It is a disgrace that so little culpability was admitted at the time. Very sadly, that sort of scenario - where those in power were almost above having to answer to the masses - was still rather prevalent at the time. Same could be said for situations where negligent risk was allowed to go unheeded.
    Fortunately, things have changed a lot in that respect at least. We must believe that lessons were learned.
    But at such awful cost.

Admittance of wrong-doing and apology (FWIW) is important here.
    But this time is for thinking about the lost generation of Aberfan and their long suffering families, and wishing them peace.
    Good post.