+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team for Forest

Team for Forest

Just did the Wales Online Team Selector for tomorrow - interesting to see that the majority preference is for an unchanged team except O'Keefe for Ralls.

I know Warnock will play 4-1-4-1 again but I'd like to go 4-4-1-1 and see Connolly replace Morrison; Richardson to replace Ralls; Pilkington in Centre Midfield to replace Gunnarsson; Harris to replace Noone; and Whitts to play behind Chamakh up front, where I think he'd be our best chance of a goal from open play and would cause more havoc.

I know there are few who will question my sanity but I think Richardson and Pilkington are good enough and creative enough to play mid and link defence/attack - this frees our best striker of the ball to cause more damage upfront. He has shown in that one glorious season that when played here he will score goals. This also removes one of his major weaknesses from midfield - lack of pace.

It's about time we stopped worrying about the opposition so much and put our most attacking assets where they should be

Re: Team for Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Just did the Wales Online Team Selector for tomorrow - interesting to see that the majority preference is for an unchanged team except O'Keefe for Ralls.

I know Warnock will play 4-1-4-1 again but I'd like to go 4-4-1-1 and see Connolly replace Morrison; Richardson to replace Ralls; Pilkington in Centre Midfield to replace Gunnarsson; Harris to replace Noone; and Whitts to play behind Chamakh up front, where I think he'd be our best chance of a goal from open play and would cause more havoc.

I know there are few who will question my sanity but I think Richardson and Pilkington are good enough and creative enough to play mid and link defence/attack - this frees our best striker of the ball to cause more damage upfront. He has shown in that one glorious season that when played here he will score goals. This also removes one of his major weaknesses from midfield - lack of pace.

It's about time we stopped worrying about the opposition so much and put our most attacking assets where they should be
    You have made 4 changes there.
    After a win and a draw where NW is trying to get a settled side, I don't think so.
    When we are under pressure, and we will be for long periods of time, our outlet won't be play it out from the back through midfield, the brief will be go long and support.

Based on his fish out of water performance on Wednesday, if he plays Chamakh up on his own, we will get hammered.
    He might be okay playing alongside Lambert but I feel he won't be playing 442 away from home especially, though if we find ourselves chasing the game then this is an option.

Are you Paul Trollope out for revenge?

I wouldn't toy with the idea of replacing two central midfielders with a wide midfielder and a left back. I think we should keep it as it is, we've been solid enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You have made 4 changes there.
    After a win and a draw where NW is trying to get a settled side, I don't think so.
    When we are under pressure, and we will be for long periods of time, our outlet won't be play it out from the back through midfield, the brief will be go long and support.

Based on his fish out of water performance on Wednesday, if he plays Chamakh up on his own, we will get hammered.
    He might be okay playing alongside Lambert but I feel he won't be playing 442 away from home especially, though if we find ourselves chasing the game then this is an option.

Are you Paul Trollope out for revenge?
    I didn't say this is what would happen, but what I'd like to see us try. I know NW is not going to change the side much, if at all

Based on what I've seen so far this season, even under NW:

1. I think Ralls is out of his depth unfortunately and needs to bulk up as he's too easily pushed off the ball

2. Noone flatters to deceive and I think Harris is much more of a problem for defenders.

3. Morrison had a really poor game on Wednesday and could have cost us dearly. I think Connolly is the better player but accept that as our Captain Morrison might just have done enough to retain his place

4. Chamakh played a lot of the time in front of us in the Grandstand on Wednesday and had some excellent touches, including making a couple of decent chances. I accept he seemed to make a few errors on the Ninian Stand side of the pitch but I thought, while unfit, he looked quicker and offered more than Lambert. It's just an opinion but I think he'll be a better player for us this year than Rickie if he decides to be bothered.

Whoever plays upfront for us is on a hiding to nothing, NW even says so as he's trying to keep midfield tight while we try to stem the number of goals we are conceding. With this in mind I'd go for more mobility rather than less up front.

5. Richardson is a class act, and the sooner he's on the pitch for us the better as far as I'm concerned. NW bought him to play LB but with Bennett now fit there then it would be useful to use him elsewhere. He's quick and I think could be just what we need in midfield.

I'm proposing replacing 4 players who struggle to make an impact in a game with 4 who I think will be more effective. I'm not sure that's sabotage really...

Pilks for Noone.

If fit, leave the rest as is, but apparently we have some injury concerns.

I'm loathe to leave Ralls out as he is the one midfielder who can create AND tackle, and it'd be a big ask of Richardson to come in there.
    O'Keefe would add a bit of bite, but leave us a bit short on creativity and if I was Forest I'd just man mark Whitts if we went this way

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Pilks for Noone.

If fit, leave the rest as is, but apparently we have some injury concerns.

I'm loathe to leave Ralls out as he is the one midfielder who can create AND tackle, and it'd be a big ask of Richardson to come in there.
    O'Keefe would add a bit of bite, but leave us a bit short on creativity and if I was Forest I'd just man mark Whitts if we went this way
    Are you kidding Tim. He has been overall shocking. His first touch is poor, yes the odd through pass comes off, but most of the time he gets caught on the ball. Has no change of pace, and invariably pushes the ball back. 90% of the time comes off second best in a tackle. IMO he is the stand out player that has gone backwards in the team. I would have O'keefe in for him all day long.
    Spedger

NW has all but said that he hopes to field the same starting 11 , bar last minute fitness considerations.
    Some of our squad are going to have to shine very brightly in training and wait for a gap.

Build it Colin