+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock Toughens Em' Up!

Warnock Toughens Em' Up!

After three games in charge, the most significant thing for me is that the players have become more aggressive. Not in a nasty way, but prepared to rough it up a bit, not sit off the opposition. I like what Warnock is doing, it's clever and suits this division. He's got players leaving there body in challenges, even when they haven't got a great chance of winning the ball, a good tactic, as players rearely get sent off for a 'physical' foul.

He's got defenders doing their jobs, he doesn't trust them to play the ball out, and neither do i, it's clever, we're playing to our strengths, it means that our slow (with and without the ball) midfield aren't lumbered with the ball without anything meaningful to hit. I never thought i'd be saying this, but i'm enjoying this slightly course, semi aggressive mostly direct style of football, because it works and the players are responding to a man who they can believe in, that hasn't been the case for a long time. Special mention to Sol Bamba, not the greatest footballer, but boy, does he talk, organise, encourage, then talk some more-great to see.

Re: Warnock Toughens Em' Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    After three games in charge, the most significant thing for me is that the players have become more aggressive. Not in a nasty way, but prepared to rough it up a bit, not sit off the opposition. I like what Warnock is doing, it's clever and suits this division. He's got players leaving there body in challenges, even when they haven't got a great chance of winning the ball, a good tactic, as players rearely get sent off for a 'physical' foul.

He's got defenders doing their jobs, he doesn't trust them to play the ball out, and neither do i, it's clever, we're playing to our strengths, it means that our slow (with and without the ball) midfield aren't lumbered with the ball without anything meaningful to hit. I never thought i'd be saying this, but i'm enjoying this slightly course, semi aggressive mostly direct style of football, because it works and the players are responding to a man who they can believe in, that hasn't been the case for a long time. Special mention to Sol Bamba, not the greatest footballer, but boy, does he talk, organise, encourage, then talk some more-great to see.
    I'd wager that Warnock knew he could do that, given the chance and belief, brought him in and gave him that 'special' role.
    Looks like the existing players have accepted it. I bet they were desperate for an on-field dictator. Looks like its rubbed off as well, It's working out so far.

'So far' is operative, although i get the feeling that Warnock will change things quickly if they aren't working out, and the players know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I'd wager that Warnock knew he could do that, given the chance and belief, brought him in and gave him that 'special' role.
    Looks like the existing players have accepted it. I bet they were desperate for an on-field dictator. Looks like its rubbed off as well, It's working out so far.
    We've been crying out for leaders on and off the pitch since Malky left then Hudson.

I wasn't Malkys biggest fan but he was a leader and commanded authority.

The last 3 managers didn't, in particular Slade who commanded no respect whatsoever.

Warnock and Bamba are the new Malky and Hudson.

Warnock played it correctly concerning the captaincy. He didn't rock the boat by telling Morrison that he wasn't up to the job of being leader - that would have had a negative effect on the player. Instead he pulled Morrison aside, told him that he had great faith in him and wanted him to remain Captain and by doing so instills belief in the player ... however, Warnock was fully aware that the moment Bamba steps onto the pitch his natural instincts to be a leader would take over. Bamba doesn't need to be sporting an armband, what he is doing now is no different to what he would do if he was officially captain ... apart from having to call "heads or tails?"

Great man-management by Warnock!

Gunners was doing a lot of shouting, gesturing and ARM WAVING yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gunners was doing a lot of shouting, gesturing and ARM WAVING yesterday
    Also had his best game in a Cardiff shirt for years