+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Whittingham

Peter Whittingham

Whitts likely to go third in our all time league goalscorers list this season,(according to Wikipedia, would it have been updated to include his couple this season?) second maybe a bit out of reach.
    Len Davies 128
    Robert Earnshaw 89
    Jimmy Gill 82
    Brian Clark 79
    Derek Tapscott 79
    Peter Whittingham 78
    All the others were out and strikers as well, although Davies & Gill would have got all theirs at the top level I'd have thought.

Re: Peter Whittingham

Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Legend.
    He is, isn't he? Do we appreciate him enough? I'm not sure that we do. Looks as though Neil knows his worth though.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He is, isn't he? Do we appreciate him enough? I'm not sure that we do. Looks as though Neil knows his worth though.
    no i ment u

No we dont. You don't boo club legends.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    No we dont. You don't boo club legends.
    That was probably for me, one of the lowest parts of our premier season.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    That was probably for me, one of the lowest parts of our premier season.
    Agreed. It was disgraceful and still leaves a sour taste when I think back to it.

My favourite player. Loyal, quality, rarely injured and there's only one player in football with a better left peg than him!

Whitts likely to go third in our all time league goalscorers list this season,(according to Wikipedia, would it have been updated to include his couple this season?) second maybe a bit out of reach.
    Len Davies 128
    Robert Earnshaw 89
    Jimmy Gill 82
    Brian Clark 79
    Derek Tapscott 79
    Peter Whittingham 78
    All the others were out and strikers as well, although Davies & Gill would have got all theirs at the top level I'd have thought.
    The mans a legend! Now on 80 League goals according to Soccerbase, just in front of Brian Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    The mans a legend! Now on 80 League goals according to Soccerbase, just in front of Brian Clark.
    Thanks for that, Wikipedia hadn't included this season then. Overtaken Clark & Tappy.

He absolutely is. Think of some of the passes, goals, set pieces etc over the last ten years, some of the stuff he can produce is of the highest quality and we are very lucky to have had him all these years. That free kick against Leicester, goal against Barnsley, or the goal against boro in the FA cup, plenty of others as well. He really isn't appreciated for what he has given us. He's unassuming, doesn't court himself or tout for a move, never here of him out on the piss or acting like an arse, and he's been loyal. Sometimes, i think that a large section of our support are arseholes, loved are the triers with little ability, or the 'characters' a word usually synonymous with 'arsehole' I know he can't defend, track back or tackle, he couldn't at 21, and if he could, he wouldn't have graced turf ninian or the CCS for all of these years, he'd have been at a top four club with 50 england caps to his name. The hysterical thing is that he still get's grief of a section of our support for not doing the things he never has done or never will-some of our fans really are arseholes!

The lad is close to being our greatest legend .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He absolutely is. Think of some of the passes, goals, set pieces etc over the last ten years, some of the stuff he can produce is of the highest quality and we are very lucky to have had him all these years. That free kick against Leicester, goal against Barnsley, or the goal against boro in the FA cup, plenty of others as well. He really isn't appreciated for what he has given us. He's unassuming, doesn't court himself or tout for a move, never here of him out on the piss or acting like an arse, and he's been loyal. Sometimes, i think that a large section of our support are arseholes, loved are the triers with little ability, or the 'characters' a word usually synonymous with 'arsehole' I know he can't defend, track back or tackle, he couldn't at 21, and if he could, he wouldn't have graced turf ninian or the CCS for all of these years, he'd have been at a top four club with 50 england caps to his name. The hysterical thing is that he still get's grief of a section of our support for not doing the things he never has done or never will-some of our fans really are arseholes!
    Agree with every word in particular the bit about arseholes and triers. Sad but true.

I also agree with every word. Makes me angry how a large section of our fans Lord over Robin Friday. He may well have been very talented, but he barely played 30 games for us, had no affection for our club and was a liability.

Feedback

you need to have a re-think. there is no 'think' about it. anyone who thinks Whitts is anything other than a city legend, perhaps the legend, couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

I also agree with every word. Makes me angry how a large section of our fans Lord over Robin Friday. He may well have been very talented, but he barely played 30 games for us, had no affection for our club and was a liability.
    Oi!

Booing the player is ridiculous.

He has played far too much at times over the past few seasons.

Boo the manager for playing him. He should have been given breaks.

I bought a book about robin friday.

To my horror I discovered he barely played for us.

Didn't bother reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    My favourite player. Loyal, quality, rarely injured and there's only one player in football with a better left peg than him!
    McPhail has retired now mate.

Banned

He was the best thing to come out of the aftermath of black Friday

As has been said , some of our fans are embarrassing when it comes to skilful players. I've heard Whitts get dogs abuse for not getting a tackle in , then a half hearted grudging applause for a brilliant pass.
    The same guys lorded Charlie OAtway and a succession of other no mark triers who rolled their sleeves up and usually got sent off.
    Mcphail had the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Legend.
    You're supposed to say Ledge

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I bought a book about robin friday.

To my horror I discovered he barely played for us.

Didn't bother reading it.
    Like what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    As has been said , some of our fans are embarrassing when it comes to skilful players. I've heard Whitts get dogs abuse for not getting a tackle in , then a half hearted grudging applause for a brilliant pass.
    The same guys lorded Charlie OAtway and a succession of other no mark triers who rolled their sleeves up and usually got sent off.
    Mcphail had the same treatment.

Ye gotta say that all thats been said about Whitts no one should disagree with, I think what happens is that players who stay with a club a long time are pretty rare these days .and what they do gets taken for granted, but to be alongside all those city legends speaks for itself

I think he's appreciated. I think the problems stem when he goes through periods of indifferent form, in which case he should never be afforded the luxury of being picked on past glories, he still has to be picked on current merit. At the moment, he's one of our more vital performers.