+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UKIP - is the party over?

UKIP - is the party over?

Do Ukip have any serious future in UK politics? They seem like a spent force to me. Post-Brexit they've lost their raison d'etre and post-Farage they've lost their one charismatic politician. The only other Ukip figures that people recognise are Steven Woolfe for being involved in a punch up and Neil Hamilton for being a bit of a joke. Unless Farage makes a comeback there will be lots of Ukip votes up for grabs at the next GE. So, are Ukip finished and if so which party will benefit most from their downfall?

Re: UKIP - is the party over?

I imagine that the current front runner, Raheem Kassam, isn't who large swathes of ukip voters had in mind to be their leader.

I liked Diane James. But she lasted 18 days.....

If they Suzanne Evans gets the job then stick a fork in them.

Paul Nuttall is good but I don't think he'll take them to the next step?.

Raheem Kassam would get them the most coverage I think.

Looks like Nuttall is odds on though: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/...xt-ukip-leader

I think they could well not rebrand the name etc. The name signifies victory now really doesn't it?. Whether you are for or against brexit, they still achieved it. Compare that to the broken promises of labour and the tories and you have a decent brand.

Farage was UKIP .... and UKIP was Farage. Without him UKIP will fade away methinks.
    A one-man band that delivered Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Farage was UKIP .... and UKIP was Farage. Without him UKIP will fade away methinks.
    A one-man band that delivered Brexit.
    Couldn't agree more. They were a successful pressure group.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I liked Diane James. But she lasted 18 days.....

If they Suzanne Evans gets the job then stick a fork in them.

Paul Nuttall is good but I don't think he'll take them to the next step?.

Raheem Kassam would get them the most coverage I think.

Looks like Nuttall is odds on though: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/...xt-ukip-leader

I think they could well not rebrand the name etc. The name signifies victory now really doesn't it?. Whether you are for or against brexit, they still achieved it. Compare that to the broken promises of labour and the tories and you have a decent brand.
    They were successful for sure but where do they go now? With Theresa May strongly courting the Ukip vote at the recent Tory party conference I can see kippers flooding out and joining the Tories. Their former press person Alex Phillips already has: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...cked-to-tories

The only future I can see for them is as a short-term pressure group to make sure that the right kind of Brexit (as they see it) is delivered. After that - curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Stephen Wolfe would have got the job, but as a trained lawyer I think he has smelt the coffee so to speak and will probably join the conservatives - I think he used to be a member.

This is UKIPs last chance I think - I heard Raheem Kassam speak on the news last night - and probably seems the best of the bunch in order to keep them all together.

So as of now we have UKIP - falling apart, Labour starting arguments with themselves and turning inwards, the Lib Dems are 99% irrelevant. It seems only the SNP and the Conservatives have managed to hold it together, and even the SNP are starting to get found out back home.

One party nation
    I'm interested in how the pissed off Tories who voted Remain are going to vote at the next GE. If the recent Witney by-election is anything to go by it looks as if the Lib Dems could be making a come back.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    I'm interested in how the pissed off Tories who voted Remain are going to vote at the next GE. If the recent Witney by-election is anything to go by it looks as if the Lib Dems could be making a come back.
    I'm a Lib Dem voter but I don't like the position they've taken on Brexit. It seems like a self serving vote grab. They're supposed to be the party gunning for democracy, not campaigning against it.

On UKIP, Farage would always attack corruption in the banking system. I wonder if UKIP will expand their mandate to go for changes that the Tories would never do in regard to the banks? But maybe Farage was just capitalising on the anti-banks/westminster climate over the past generation for UKIP support, rather than actually having a reforming agenda in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if UKIP were sponsored by a branch of the Conservative Party, to do what they could not be seen to be doing

UKIP have the luxury of drawing significant support pretty much anywhere outside of Scotland and London and among all types of people. They can pick and choose which direction they take the party. The debate at the moment is BlueKip Vs RedKip and I think right now they have maxed out on BlueKip support. They need to take the party to the patriotic center and rip apart Corbyns mob in the North and make a charge in the Valleys.

I was browsing through Kassams twitter feed this morning, he seems to be one hell of a ****. Suzanne Evans talks a good game but she has attacked Nigel Farage one too many times. Nuttall is a working class Northern lad, he'd have the political classes shitting themselves.

Not sure I will ever vote for them again, they have served their purpose for me but never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    UKIP have the luxury of drawing significant support pretty much anywhere outside of Scotland and London and among all types of people. They can pick and choose which direction they take the party. The debate at the moment is BlueKip Vs RedKip and I think right now they have maxed out on BlueKip support. They need to take the party to the patriotic center and rip apart Corbyns mob in the North and make a charge in the Valleys.

I was browsing through Kassams twitter feed this morning, he seems to be one hell of a ****. Suzanne Evans talks a good game but she has attacked Nigel Farage one too many times. Nuttall is a working class Northern lad, he'd have the political classes shitting themselves.

Not sure I will ever vote for them again, they have served their purpose for me but never say never.
    People outside of UKIP see it as a cheap ploy to get the Muslim vote.

When they find out he was brought up a Muslim but is no longer, and that he is hugely critical of it, they decide he a right wing nut job.

I think he would be good, but it is a risk.

People have said he is far right. Pretty pathetic scare stories before any debate has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    People outside of UKIP see it as a cheap ploy to get the Muslim vote.

When they find out he was brought up a Muslim but is no longer, and that he is hugely critical of it, they decide he a right wing nut job.

I think he would be good, but it is a risk.

People have said he is far right. Pretty pathetic scare stories before any debate has happened.
    Looking at his twitter he seems incredibly divisive and I have seen him interviewed a few times and he's too cocky for me. Plus he hasn't been elected by anyone? I don't think he's even a parish Councillor.

I would piss myself if Nuttals became leader

Saying that, here's another high quality candidate a bit closer to home -

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ns-ukip-leader

It's game over, UKIP are f*cked.