+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada EU trade agreement

Canada EU trade agreement

Failed to pass yet again, apparently it was blocked by Walloons.

Depending on your political stance on brexit, this either shows why we are better off out of the eu so we can make our own agreement without bowing down to the pesky Walloons or shows that getting the eu to agree to any terms with us will be a nightmare process and we will suffer as a result.

Re: Canada EU trade agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Depending on your political stance on brexit, this either shows why we are better off out of the eu so we can make our own agreement without bowing down to the pesky Walloons or shows that getting the eu to agree to any terms with us will be a nightmare process and we will suffer as a result.
    Our biggest bargaining chip is the significant amount of car manufacturing jobs that rely on British exports. I have a German branch of the family and before the referendum I was at a family event with said branch discussing what was going on in Port Talbot with a cousin of mine.

He basically told me that there are towns in Germany exactly like Port Talbot where 50% of the town works in one industry and the other 50% work as plumbers etc who rely almost exclusively on the other 50% for work. He was saying that he was hoping for a remain vote here as the ramifications of a Brexit vote would see a lot of these towns go under because Britain is by far the biggest importer of German cars. You must remember that during the run up the election scare stories about Brexit were rife including the line that us Brits would stop buying German cars.

The German government will not want to lose potentially their biggest non EU trading partner. With all due respect to other countries who may leave like Greece we are the United Kingdom, we have far more financial clout than others. This is why we will get a good post Brexit deal, the EU have far too much to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Our biggest bargaining chip is the significant amount of car manufacturing jobs that rely on British exports. I have a German branch of the family and before the referendum I was at a family event with said branch discussing what was going on in Port Talbot with a cousin of mine.

He basically told me that there are towns in Germany exactly like Port Talbot where 50% of the town works in one industry and the other 50% work as plumbers etc who rely almost exclusively on the other 50% for work. He was saying that he was hoping for a remain vote here as the ramifications of a Brexit vote would see a lot of these towns go under because Britain is by far the biggest importer of German cars. You must remember that during the run up the election scare stories about Brexit were rife including the line that us Brits would stop buying German cars.

The German government will not want to lose potentially their biggest non EU trading partner. With all due respect to other countries who may leave like Greece we are the United Kingdom, we have far more financial clout than others. This is why we will get a good post Brexit deal, the EU have far too much to lose.
    Unfortunately, the eu does not work like that. There may be one or two countries who would want to keep free trade with us at any cost, but it only takes one to stop any deal in its tracks, and there are countries that want to make an example of us.

I also doubt that having some additional duties on exporting cars to one market is going to shut down any car plants.

Unfortunately, the eu does not work like that. There may be one or two countries who would want to keep free trade with us at any cost, but it only takes one to stop any deal in its tracks, and there are countries that want to make an example of us.

I also doubt that having some additional duties on exporting cars to one market is going to shut down any car plants.
    It result in job losses though, something that the German government will be keen to avoid after allowing in half the middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The Walloon farce just goes to show
    A. How pathetic the EU has become that a trade deal can be scuppered and held up by a bunch of nobodies
    B. UK / EU trade deals will NEVER happen. So both sides are fecked by bunch of irrelevant Belgium Walloons

Any trade imposition by Germany will result in the exact same action - no one wins.

So with them being an intelligent bunch and us the same - logic and common sense should prevail - we can buy from them and vice versa - and the same goes for all the other EU nations. Anything that gets held up in customs over there will suffer a similar fate over here.
    Before you condemn the Walloons you should look at why they object to the treaty. Here's a quote about the objection:

"Walloons have concerns about the threat of surging pork and beef imports from Canada and an independent court system to settle disputes between states and foreign investors, which critics say allows multinationals to dictate public policy. "

The second part of the complaint is very worrying. It is a way for globalists to override legitimate objections by a government to the import of certain goods. With regard to the first part of the complaint why should the Walloons want their small farmers put out of business by the import of foods which may have been produced in less animal friendly and less hygienic conditions on massive factory farms?

You can bet your bottom dollar all the trade concessions will be one way. For example, if you are a Walloon and you want to send a second hand car to Canada forget it. Only second hand cars from America and Mexico can be exported to Canada. Good luck if you want to export cheese there. Canadian regulations make it very difficult.

You say trade impositions means no one wins. Yet China makes it very hard to export stuff there but they seem to be doing ok. Lots of exports and not so much imported means they have plenty of spare money to go around buying up capital in silly countries like the UK where there are few barriers to foreigners buying up the place.

It result in job losses though, something that the German government will be keen to avoid after allowing in half the middle east.
    Will it though? As it would also mean that any cars made in the UK would be more expensive, so they would be less likely to be sold there.
    If a Nissan is suddenly a bit closer in price to a beemer then they will sell more of those.
    Also keeps more money in Germany and they get more taxation.

Isn't it mad how wallonia, a region of Belgium, can block an EU deal yet Wales, a country within the UK has no say over the brexit terms. This is the difference in unions, and why for me the EU is far more desirable than the UK

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Isn't it mad how wallonia, a region of Belgium, can block an EU deal yet Wales, a country within the UK has no say over the brexit terms. This is the difference in unions, and why for me the EU is far more desirable than the UK
    Wales voted to leave the EU, the majority of the Welsh people voted to leave the EU so you're in the minority on that one. Also we will have a say on the Brexit terms, Carwyn was with May today.

Oh by the way, ask the Greeks what happens when you go against the will of the EU... it gets forced on you anyway.

Wales voted to leave the EU, the majority of the Welsh people voted to leave the EU so you're in the minority on that one. Also we will have a say on the Brexit terms, Carwyn was with May today.

Oh by the way, ask the Greeks what happens when you go against the will of the EU... it gets forced on you anyway.
    Carwyn meets a lot of people. Doesn't mean he gets a say.

So the Canada deal is being passed today is it?

Carwyn meets a lot of people. Doesn't mean he gets a say.

So the Canada deal is being passed today is it?
    He will have had his say today, they all did. Carwyn is against Brexit though even though the majority of the people he governs want it. I cringe when he and Leanne Wood try and play grievance politics in regards to Brexit, it doesn't work.

Probably not but if the Greek referendum is anything to go by the Walloons will be ignored.

He will have had his say today, they all did. Carwyn is against Brexit though even though the majority of the people he governs want it. I cringe when he and Leanne Wood try and play grievance politics in regards to Brexit, it doesn't work.

Probably not but if the Greek referendum is anything to go by the Walloons will be ignored.
    Do you think the PM and her team will listen to what carwyn wants?

Do you think the PM and her team will listen to what carwyn wants?
    No they will listen to what the people of Wales want. Can you stop pretending Wales voted to remain? Get your head out of the sand, the people of Wales want to leave the EU. Carwyn has had a meeting with Mrs May today, he may or may not be listened to but he will certainly be ignored if he continues to pretend Wales voted to remain.

Carwyn seems to have forgotten that the people that voted him back into power again (18 years of Labour rule !!) are the same ones that voted to LEAVE the EU.

So Jones needs to act on the mandate that Welsh people voted for - whether they were right or wrong - they gave Jones the mandate - which he and Leanne Wood are now ingoring.
    To be fair to Leanne wood, her party has the highest percentage of remain voters of all uk parties. I don't know the stats off the top of my head for labour, I'll find them tomorrow.

No they will listen to what the people of Wales want. Can you stop pretending Wales voted to remain? Get your head out of the sand, the people of Wales want to leave the EU. Carwyn has had a meeting with Mrs May today, he may or may not be listened to but he will certainly be ignored if he continues to pretend Wales voted to remain.
    What are you on about? its easy to claim someone doesn't respect the vote, but it's just empty rhetoric here. Would be better if you argued my points instead of assuming things.
    Irrelevant of how Wales voted, we should still get a say. Why shouldn't we?

Feedback

The UK Govt had the referendum - it is their job to implement it
    no its not, it is for the UK Parliament to legislate first. If Parliament was so minded, the legislation would have been enacted by now. If you think the UK is a democracy based on the popular vote then why have we had majority governments who have never had a majority popular vote ergo majority mandate to govern?

Why should Wales / Scotland / N Ireland or an English Assembly get a say. I dont think Brexit is a devolved power ?.
    The UK Govt had the referendum - it is their job to implement it - not Jones , McGuiness or Sturgeon - although Im sure May will give them an opportunity to speak - like she did today.

Re Jones, Wales voted Leave he is acting like that never happened - he needs to embrace the change and look at the opportunities. Basically put - take a pee or get off the potty and let someone else have a go.

Jones hasnt got a clue what to do next and neither have the rest of the WAG
    Irrelevant if it's devolved or not, we are still a country that it will effect. The UK Government should do what's best for each country within the UK, not just what's best for England.

Remainers defending this as nothing do not see their bias.

They've taken every single bit of bad news, a rise in the price of sugar ffs, currency fluctuations, as closure that the decision to leave was a poor one.

I've gone passed the point of talking about it on social media. People have their views and there is barely anyone neutral enough to talk about both sides.

Why should Wales / Scotland / N Ireland or an English Assembly get a say. I dont think Brexit is a devolved power ?.
    The UK Govt had the referendum - it is their job to implement it - not Jones , McGuiness or Sturgeon - although Im sure May will give them an opportunity to speak - like she did today.

Re Jones, Wales voted Leave he is acting like that never happened - he needs to embrace the change and look at the opportunities. Basically put - take a pee or get off the potty and let someone else have a go.

Jones hasnt got a clue what to do next and neither have the rest of the WAG
    The referendum was a non-party political affair so why should we get a specifically Tory Brexit? If I was May I would be looking to make Brexit as broad a political consensus as possible (and perhaps she is doing that). But if she does choose to go it completely alone with a Hard Tory Brexit then all of the other parties (plus disgruntled Tory Remainers) will turn every small European-related issue into a battleground. The other benefit of a more consensual approach is tactical. If, as you suggest, we have a purely Tory Brexit (because they happen to be the party in government) then they will take all of the blame if it goes tits up. Of course, if it all goes swimmingly well then they will take all of the credit. But it's a political gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    The referendum was a non-party political affair so why should we get a specifically Tory Brexit? If I was May I would be looking to make Brexit as broad a political consensus as possible (and perhaps she is doing that). But if she does choose to go it completely alone with a Hard Tory Brexit then all of the other parties (plus disgruntled Tory Remainers) will turn every small European-related issue into a battleground. The other benefit of a more consensual approach is tactical. If, as you suggest, we have a purely Tory Brexit (because they happen to be the party in government) then they will take all of the blame if it goes tits up. Of course, if it all goes swimmingly well then they will take all of the credit. But it's a political gamble.
    Yep absolutely.

Not all Tories wanted Brexit.

The opposition are already trying to score points from them having "no plan". As if labour would their cards on the table this early.

It is pathetic, the attempt to try to gain votes from a scenario not all Tories wanted.

Membership of the UK union is far more important to rural Wales than the EU.

It is the Prime Minister of the UK - not Prime Minister of England - is it not ?

She represents the UK as a whole.

I wouldnt get too upset about it - if I had a plan about my strategy the last people I would mention it to wood be Jones and Sturgeon. There is a lot of bluff and counter bluff going on here - just let them get on with it.

Whatever May says Jones and Sturgeon will turn it into a negative for their own political agenda.

May could a sh1t a golden brick and they'd still moan about the shape and size of it
    Then perhaps she should listen to the leaders of each devolved nation? Can see we aren't going to get anywhere here, two opinions unlikely to change. I don't really get why someone wouldn't want wales to have a say. Are there any reasons besides it 'not being constitutional' (i.e it's not a devolved matter)?

What the **** do you want then Tommy? Our first minister had a meeting with Mrs May yesterday, what do you think they were talking about? Bake off? What do you want? All countries within the UK will have a say, the funny thing is the regions of England will have less of a say than others parts of the UK because they do not have any devolved leaders.

I want Wales to have a say, how is a meeting with the PM not having a say? How is every person living in Wales above the age of 18 having a vote on whether we stay in the EU not having a say? We all had a say in Wales and the majority backed Brexit, we have had our say. We cannot play grievance politics, what the people of Wales and England want is different to what the people of NI, London and Scotland so we won't be able to please everybody.

what can we buy from Canada, thought it was "dry "

I think Tommy seems to think / believe that Jones / McGuiness and Sturgeon should be negotiating the outcome.
    They had a meeting yesterday - she will have listened to what they have said - but she wont (and shouldnt) be telling them, anything else.

You negotiate from a position of strength not weakness - and informed Dumb and Dumber what's going on - would make your starting point much weaker.
    But the Tory party don't own Brexit. Quite a lot of the Tory party didn't even want Brexit.The referendum was non-party political. So why are you so convinced that May and a cabal of her closet supporters should have the right to gather behind closed doors and decide what Brexit should look like for everybody else? Of course she should consult other parties and listen to what they have to say and that's what she is doing (or so it appears). And of course the House of Commons should have a right to vote on the basic terms of Brexit before Article 50 is invoked. If she unilaterally attempts to impose a Hard Brexit Tory plan on the country she is asking for trouble.

1. The Tory party are the official party of Govt , or so I heard - it is their job to implement the UK leaving the EU.

Article 50 will be invoked in 2017 and there is 2 years of talks to reach agreement.

2. Parliament WILL get to vote on whether to accept or reject Article 50 when the negotiations have concluded.

The vote in Parliament will be to accept the deal on the table or reject it.
    IF accepted then that is what happens - IF they reject it then we leave the EU and revert to WTO default rules.
    That's it in a nutshell really - nothing more - nothing less
    Yes, the Tories are in power and it is their job to manage Brexit not to impose the Brexit of their choice. May wants a Hard Brexit (Oooooooh!) and has said that she doesn't want a Commons vote on an exit from the single market before March ( https://www.theguardian.com/politics...le-market-exit ). In other words she wants to set the terms for Brexit herself. Little wonder that all the other parties (and big business) are making political capital out of it. I don't understand why May just doesn't call an early GE election, stand on a platform of Hard Brexit and get a proper mandate that way. She would win hands down given the current state of the polls. At the moment she is being portrayed as a former Remainer with no electoral mandate from the people doing whatever she wants.

I think Tommy seems to think / believe that Jones / McGuiness and Sturgeon should be negotiating the outcome.
    They had a meeting yesterday - she will have listened to what they have said - but she wont (and shouldnt) be telling them, anything else.

You negotiate from a position of strength not weakness - and informed Dumb and Dumber what's going on - would make your starting point much weaker.
    Tommy thinks that each part of the UK's needs should be considered in the brexit negotiations. I have no faith whatsoever that they will be met by such an English/London-centric party leading the negotiations.

Out it this way, when have we ever been listened to? Continuously discarded as if we're worthless. I hope one day we stand up for ourselves, although I'm not too optimistic