+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Canada EU trade agreement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canada EU trade agreement

Failed to pass yet again, apparently it was blocked by Walloons.

Depending on your political stance on brexit, this either shows why we are better off out of the eu so we can make our own agreement without bowing down to the pesky Walloons or shows that getting the eu to agree to any terms with us will be a nightmare process and we will suffer as a result.

Re: Canada EU trade agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Depending on your political stance on brexit, this either shows why we are better off out of the eu so we can make our own agreement without bowing down to the pesky Walloons or shows that getting the eu to agree to any terms with us will be a nightmare process and we will suffer as a result.
    Our biggest bargaining chip is the significant amount of car manufacturing jobs that rely on British exports. I have a German branch of the family and before the referendum I was at a family event with said branch discussing what was going on in Port Talbot with a cousin of mine.

He basically told me that there are towns in Germany exactly like Port Talbot where 50% of the town works in one industry and the other 50% work as plumbers etc who rely almost exclusively on the other 50% for work. He was saying that he was hoping for a remain vote here as the ramifications of a Brexit vote would see a lot of these towns go under because Britain is by far the biggest importer of German cars. You must remember that during the run up the election scare stories about Brexit were rife including the line that us Brits would stop buying German cars.

The German government will not want to lose potentially their biggest non EU trading partner. With all due respect to other countries who may leave like Greece we are the United Kingdom, we have far more financial clout than others. This is why we will get a good post Brexit deal, the EU have far too much to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Our biggest bargaining chip is the significant amount of car manufacturing jobs that rely on British exports. I have a German branch of the family and before the referendum I was at a family event with said branch discussing what was going on in Port Talbot with a cousin of mine.

He basically told me that there are towns in Germany exactly like Port Talbot where 50% of the town works in one industry and the other 50% work as plumbers etc who rely almost exclusively on the other 50% for work. He was saying that he was hoping for a remain vote here as the ramifications of a Brexit vote would see a lot of these towns go under because Britain is by far the biggest importer of German cars. You must remember that during the run up the election scare stories about Brexit were rife including the line that us Brits would stop buying German cars.

The German government will not want to lose potentially their biggest non EU trading partner. With all due respect to other countries who may leave like Greece we are the United Kingdom, we have far more financial clout than others. This is why we will get a good post Brexit deal, the EU have far too much to lose.
    Unfortunately, the eu does not work like that. There may be one or two countries who would want to keep free trade with us at any cost, but it only takes one to stop any deal in its tracks, and there are countries that want to make an example of us.

I also doubt that having some additional duties on exporting cars to one market is going to shut down any car plants.

Unfortunately, the eu does not work like that. There may be one or two countries who would want to keep free trade with us at any cost, but it only takes one to stop any deal in its tracks, and there are countries that want to make an example of us.

I also doubt that having some additional duties on exporting cars to one market is going to shut down any car plants.
    It result in job losses though, something that the German government will be keen to avoid after allowing in half the middle east.

It result in job losses though, something that the German government will be keen to avoid after allowing in half the middle east.
    Will it though? As it would also mean that any cars made in the UK would be more expensive, so they would be less likely to be sold there.
    If a Nissan is suddenly a bit closer in price to a beemer then they will sell more of those.
    Also keeps more money in Germany and they get more taxation.

Isn't it mad how wallonia, a region of Belgium, can block an EU deal yet Wales, a country within the UK has no say over the brexit terms. This is the difference in unions, and why for me the EU is far more desirable than the UK

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Isn't it mad how wallonia, a region of Belgium, can block an EU deal yet Wales, a country within the UK has no say over the brexit terms. This is the difference in unions, and why for me the EU is far more desirable than the UK
    Wales voted to leave the EU, the majority of the Welsh people voted to leave the EU so you're in the minority on that one. Also we will have a say on the Brexit terms, Carwyn was with May today.

Oh by the way, ask the Greeks what happens when you go against the will of the EU... it gets forced on you anyway.

Wales voted to leave the EU, the majority of the Welsh people voted to leave the EU so you're in the minority on that one. Also we will have a say on the Brexit terms, Carwyn was with May today.

Oh by the way, ask the Greeks what happens when you go against the will of the EU... it gets forced on you anyway.
    Carwyn meets a lot of people. Doesn't mean he gets a say.

So the Canada deal is being passed today is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Carwyn meets a lot of people. Doesn't mean he gets a say.

So the Canada deal is being passed today is it?
    He will have had his say today, they all did. Carwyn is against Brexit though even though the majority of the people he governs want it. I cringe when he and Leanne Wood try and play grievance politics in regards to Brexit, it doesn't work.

Probably not but if the Greek referendum is anything to go by the Walloons will be ignored.

He will have had his say today, they all did. Carwyn is against Brexit though even though the majority of the people he governs want it. I cringe when he and Leanne Wood try and play grievance politics in regards to Brexit, it doesn't work.

Probably not but if the Greek referendum is anything to go by the Walloons will be ignored.
    Do you think the PM and her team will listen to what carwyn wants?

Remainers defending this as nothing do not see their bias.

They've taken every single bit of bad news, a rise in the price of sugar ffs, currency fluctuations, as closure that the decision to leave was a poor one.

I've gone passed the point of talking about it on social media. People have their views and there is barely anyone neutral enough to talk about both sides.

What the **** do you want then Tommy? Our first minister had a meeting with Mrs May yesterday, what do you think they were talking about? Bake off? What do you want? All countries within the UK will have a say, the funny thing is the regions of England will have less of a say than others parts of the UK because they do not have any devolved leaders.

I want Wales to have a say, how is a meeting with the PM not having a say? How is every person living in Wales above the age of 18 having a vote on whether we stay in the EU not having a say? We all had a say in Wales and the majority backed Brexit, we have had our say. We cannot play grievance politics, what the people of Wales and England want is different to what the people of NI, London and Scotland so we won't be able to please everybody.