+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Want It Darker

Re: You Want It Darker

Let's be honest, they wouldn't get past the audition on the X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Let us know your musical preferences Organ....

Funnily enough 'X-Factor' is (was!) a phrase coined to describe a person who has that certain .. X-factor!
    Rather than being one bland (or sometimes sad) constant within a yet another sequence of this 'season's ' little clones trilling and overdoing the melisma.

Cohen has 'X-factor' to spare (like N. Young, Dylan) And he writes iconic songs. He's not my favourite singer/songwriter TBH but I'd take him over Simon Cowel''s bubblegum & bumfluff product - all day every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    You have spotted that my preference is for singer/songwriters rather than singers.

I actually think that the likes of Drake, Young, Dylan and Cohen also have excellent vocals that suit their songs.

But, heh, live and let live.

Eh?
    I do agree with you here,lots of singers do not possess classical vocals but they are distinct,Bolan,Bowie,Hunter and Ray Davies it does suit their music and as you say live and let live

Blog Entries

Maybe you would like his songs sung by someone else? my mum hates LC with a passion but she has this album of his songs by Jennifer Warnes and she really likes it, I think my dad got it for her as a compromise
    https://www.discogs.com/Jennifer-War...elease/2279075

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Let us know your musical preferences Organ....
    Slade, Queen, ELO, U2 (Joshua Tree album, anyway), Simon and Garfunkel, pretty much anything on Classic FM.

Slade, Queen, ELO, U2 (Joshua Tree album, anyway), Simon and Garfunkel, pretty much anything on Classic FM.

Nice.

Very nice.

You and the wife would get on like a house on fire.

Live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I do agree with you here,lots of singers do not possess classical vocals but they are distinct,Bolan,Bowie,Hunter and Ray Davies it does suit their music and as you say live and let live
    I think this is what the UK music scene has always done better than the US. Iconic voices that suit their material perfectly.

Lennon,Rotten,Morrisey,Ian Curtis,Liam Gallagher,Ian Brown,Strummer,Robert Smith,Jarvis Cocker.
    None of these have technically good voices but are instantly recognizable. And would never get past the vetting process of X factor.

Blue in the Face

You've just counter argued your own criticism there OM

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Maybe you would like his songs sung by someone else? my mum hates LC with a passion but she has this album of his songs by Jennifer Warnes and she really likes it, I think my dad got it for her as a compromise
    https://www.discogs.com/Jennifer-War...elease/2279075
    That's a fair point, but I would still take Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' over the Leonard Cohen original any day.

Talking of dark songs: last night I went to see the bluesman Walter Trout last night for the umpteenth time. However, it was the first time I had seen him since he had the liver transplant that saved his life. He went from being quite porky to positively skeletal from cirrhosis of the liver - and he even slipped into a coma at one stage during the 8 months he spend in hospital waiting for a new organ from a donor. He wrote many songs during that time when it looked like he was a certain goner - and playing them last night after explaining what thought prompted each of them was very moving.
    He looked in great health (porky again too) and, needless to say, seems to enjoy every minute of his life now - but reminded us in the audience of the great good we can do in donating our organs. He mentioned that we have 8 organs that could save the lives of various people after we pass.
    Performance-wise, he was as good as ever.