+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Carlos Alberto

Carlos Alberto

R I P aged 72
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 25-10-16 at 15:00. Reason: I

Re: Carlos Alberto

Oh no - very sad, he was one of the greatest players in the world when I were a lad, possibly the greatest full back of all time.

RIP to a legend

Im not usually one for RIP threads but this guy deserves more replies and condolences on a football forum than Pete ****ing Burns.

RIP Scorer of probably one of the greatest team goals ever

He scored the greatest goal I have ever seen. As Kenneth Wolstenholme described it"sheer delightful football" just after Carlos Alberto steamed down the right and struck the ball beautifully hard and low into the back of the net. Almost perfect.

Part of the Brazil 1970 world cup winning side, the best team ever to grace a football pitch.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Im not usually one for RIP threads but this guy deserves more replies and condolences on a football forum than Pete ****ing Burns.

RIP Scorer of probably one of the greatest team goals ever
    I'm not usually one to agree with you, but you're spot on here

I can't think of a better right back in world football, ever. RIP

The Brazil 70 team episode on Sky's "The Greatest" series is a good watch. They seemed to walk that World Cup and no team could get close to them. Footage from all games and interviews with all the main players.
    Brazil 82 is another good episode. How that team never won that World Cup is just criminal.

Captain of one of the best Brazil sides ever and a true Legend.
    Very sad news

Respects to the man and his achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Respects to the man and his achievements.
    I can remembet watching that final in 70 it Was a fantastic goal and it was so right on the day for Carlos to get that 4th goal

Quote Originally Posted by woolyback View Post
    I can remembet watching that final in 70 it Was a fantastic goal and it was so right on the day for Carlos to get that 4th goal
    You are right in saying that, for sure.
    I believe that Mexico '70 (and Jairzinho particularly) and that Final sparked my interest in Football.
    Heady days - real football heroes it seemed.

Absolutely stunning goal. RIP

I believe that Mexico '70 (and Jairzinho particularly) and that Final sparked my interest in Football.
    Same here.
    It was the first time I ever watched a TV in colour. The pitches were so green, stadia so huge.

Quite a few memories of that world cup actually, obviously England related but the propaganda England love-in wasn't that obvious to me back then.
    I remember the Banks save from Pele (who doesn't?), England 2 nil up against West Germany lost 3-2 Peter Bonneti mare in goal but that Carlos Alberto goal, goodness me!

As has been said, deserving of the title "Legend"

Ye fabulous couple of decades for Brazil winning in 58, 62 and 70 and they should have won it in 78 robbed by Argentina which seemed a complete fix at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Same here.
    It was the first time I ever watched a TV in colour. The pitches were so green, stadia so huge.

Quite a few memories of that world cup actually, obviously England related but the propaganda England love-in wasn't that obvious to me back then.
    I remember the Banks save from Pele (who doesn't?), England 2 nil up against West Germany lost 3-2 Peter Bonneti mare in goal but that Carlos Alberto goal, goodness me!

As has been said, deserving of the title "Legend"
    My mate Dave at the time put Englands collapse down to the subbing of Bobby Charlton when 2 0 up, not sure about that ,but the game certainly changed after he went off.

As for Carlos Alberto he scored his stunning goal and then just ran back for the restart, as if it was nothing remarkable.

Such a class act. RIP

That Brazil 70 side was so exiting i think it was the first time i had seen football in colour on TV.
    RIP Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    The Brazil 70 team episode on Sky's "The Greatest" series is a good watch. They seemed to walk that World Cup and no team could get close to them. Footage from all games and interviews with all the main players.
    Brazil 82 is another good episode. How that team never won that World Cup is just criminal.
    The team that gave them the best game was England and there are many who say their 1970 side was a better one than the World Cup Winners from four years earlier. I was only fourteen when the game was played, but I've watched it again since and my feeling is that England were unlucky to lose, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Brazil had another level they could have gone to if they had to.

Anyone old enough to remember the 1970 World Cup needs their heads read if they don't rate Brazil as one of the best three teams they've ever seen - I'm not sure I'd rank them as my number one, but they are definitely the best international team I've seen.

As others have said, Carlos Alberto's goal in the Final was the perfect ending to a great tournament (the two best World Cups I've seen have both been held in Mexico) and the memories of it are still so vivid in my mind, so it's a bit of a shocker to see that members of that stellar team are now leaving us - just looked it up and three of the side have now passed away Felix (the well dodgy goalie), Everaldo (who died in a car crash in 1974) and now Carlos Alberto.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The team that gave them the best game was England and there are many who say their 1970 side was a better one than the World Cup Winners from four years earlier. I was only fourteen when the game was played, but I've watched it again since and my feeling is that England were unlucky to lose, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Brazil had another level they could have gone to if they had to.

Anyone old enough to remember the 1970 World Cup needs their heads read if they don't rate Brazil as one of the best three teams they've ever seen - I'm not sure I'd rank them as my number one, but they are definitely the best international team I've seen.

As others have said, Carlos Alberto's goal in the Final was the perfect ending to a great tournament (the two best World Cups I've seen have both been held in Mexico) and the memories of it are still so vivid in my mind, so it's a bit of a shocker to see that members of that stellar team are now leaving us - just looked it up and three of the side have now passed away Felix (the well dodgy goalie), Everaldo (who died in a car crash in 1974) and now Carlos Alberto.

RIP
    I would rate that 1970 Brazil team as highly as the recent Barcelona team and the Real Madrid team of Gento, Puskas and Di Stefano. What I remember most about the England team is the miss by Astle. He was a very good league player but it seemed slightly odd to see him playing against Brazil. Looking back I think his WBA teammate Tony Brown would have scored that. Jimmy Greaves would have got it for certain but he'd been out in the cold for a few years.