+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Timeshift: Sailors, Ships and Stevedores

Timeshift: Sailors, Ships and Stevedores

Last night on BBC4. Great programme with lots of footage and stories of Cardiff Docks/Tiger Bay. Anyone interested in Maritime history and Docks culture Liverpool, Cardiff and London, I recommend you watch it on catch up.
    Spedger

Re: Timeshift: Sailors, Ships and Stevedores

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Last night on BBC4. Great programme with lots of footage and stories of Cardiff Docks/Tiger Bay. Anyone interested in Maritime history and Docks culture Liverpool, Cardiff and London, I recommend you watch it on catch up.
    Spedger
    Cheers, my grandfather was a docker, albeit Newport. I'll have a gander at this

Spedger
    I watched it and it was well worth watching, I worked down there in the sixties and remember how different it is from now

Trust me, I'm a docker.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Trust me, I'm a docker.
    A docker me old cocker?

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I watched it and it was well worth watching, I worked down there in the sixties and remember how different it is from now
    I was 35 years as a seaman, and ironically only shipped out of Cardiff once. But well remember the times having to go to the Shipping Federation on Roath Basin dock to sign on the Seaman's pool. Containerisation changed the whole shipping and stevedoring culture in a massive way. The people in the documentary obviously did their homework/research properly.
    Spedger

Spedger

It was a Fantastic program and always nice to see old clips of old tiger bay etc.

Historian Neil Sinclair did a great job

Most of my family worked on the docks or away at sea

I was and apprentice boilermaker welder at Bute dry docks ( C H Baileys)
    Last edited by tigerbaybluebird; 27-10-16 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    It was a Fantastic program and always nice to see old clips of old tiger bay etc.

I am meeting up with a few fellow Cardiff seaman tomorrow in town. Do most Fridays now. It's good to reminisce.
    Spedger

I was 35 years as a seaman, and ironically only shipped out of Cardiff once. But well remember the times having to go to the Shipping Federation on Roath Basin dock to sign on the Seaman's pool. Containerisation changed the whole shipping and stevedoring culture in a massive way. The people in the documentary obviously did their homework/research properly.
    Spedger

35 years!!! - that's some feat

What do these shipping companies use now ... Filipino crews?

I had an old school mate who joined up with Shell, circa 1977. I remember seeing some of his photos at that time - all the deck crew were just wearing shorts and flipflops and with a can of beer in their hands as they happily posed for pics. All you're likely to see of British deck crews these days is those working on coasters or ferries, wearing overalls, hi-vis, toe-caps and hard hats.

I went to the sea training school in Gravesend about a month before my mate, I completed my 14 weeks deck course, had a ship lined up to South Africa with a company from Liverpool - Holder Bro's, but got cold feet and never joined the ship ... hugely regretted that in later life!

I think during the 70's there was still plenty of opportunities for British seamen and the British Shipping Council offices down the docks were very busy - I'm not sure anyone could have foreseen at that time the sad decline of the British Merchant shipping.

I bet when you meet up with your mates from sea you have plenty to reminisce about

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    35 years!!! - that's some feat

What do these shipping companies use now ... Filipino crews?

I had an old school mate who joined up with Shell, circa 1977. I remember seeing some of his photos at that time - all the deck crew were just wearing shorts and flipflops and with a can of beer in their hands as they happily posed for pics. All you're likely to see of British deck crews these days is those working on coasters or ferries, wearing overalls, hi-vis, toe-caps and hard hats.

I went to the sea training school in Gravesend about a month before my mate, I completed my 14 weeks deck course, had a ship lined up to South Africa with a company from Liverpool - Holder Bro's, but got cold feet and never joined the ship ... hugely regretted that in later life!

I think during the 70's there was still plenty of opportunities for British seamen and the British Shipping Council offices down the docks were very busy - I'm not sure anyone could have foreseen at that time the sad decline of the British Merchant shipping.

I bet when you meet up with your mates from sea you have plenty to reminisce about
    I caught a few years of the Flip flop and shorts era. I retired last September after having Heart surgery. I did 10 years moving around companies from 1980 -1990; Geest, Shell Tankers, Blue Star Line among others, very care free, international traveller-like times. Then did 25 Years with RFA (MOD) which is very much the Navy these days an ships are operating autonomously in areas such as anti-pitracy a disaster relief etc . Worked my way up the ladder, so ended up with a good pension. So the 35 years of partying was worth it! Houlder brothers were a good outfit, so I guess you missed out on something there mate. There is very little commercial sector British Shipping companies around that employ British Seaman these days. I would wager not one deep sea trading company that employs British Seaman. RFA is the biggest employer of British Ratings and Officers.
    Spedger

You have a PM Tigerbaybluebird.
    Spedger

4.30 Sunday afternoon at the old library, Neil Sinclair is giving a talk on Butetown, part of the Cardiff Book Festival weekend. I'm popping in, free tickets online.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    4.30 Sunday afternoon at the old library, Neil Sinclair is giving a talk on Butetown, part of the Cardiff Book Festival weekend. I'm popping in, free tickets online.

Borough at half 5 it is then

You have a PM Tigerbaybluebird.
    Spedger

Reply sent Spledger

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Enjoy mate

Reply sent Spledger

Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Borough at half 5 it is then
    As it's Book Festival Weekend, you can read me like a ............