+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Dave Jones ever not deserve his chance with City in the PL

Did Dave Jones ever not deserve his chance with City in the PL

Just wondering after promotion eg Malky sacking. Then subsequent appointments
    Last edited by The Bob Banker Spanker; 28-10-16 at 00:38.

Re: Did Dave Jones ever not deserve his chance with City in the PL

He failed to get us promoted and thereby missed his chance. It's not like he was sacked on the eve of a Premier League campaign after having achieved promotion. However, I will say I always thought he was a good manager. He made a few mistakes, but who doesn't?

First Team

Jones was a good City manager, arguably one of the best in recent times. However, he had a good chance to take us up and couldn't take the opportunity. On that basis then I don't think going back to him would have been a terrific idea not withstanding some of the strange appointments that followed.

We were "nearly there" several times under Jones, and IMHO played better football than our recent managers (not including Warnock).
    But he was forced to operate on a shoestring budget, and we had a lot of loanees who couldn't give a toss.

If he was given the money Malky had, he'd have taken us up, and kept us there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    We were "nearly there" several times under Jones, and IMHO played better football than our recent managers (not including Warnock).
    But he was forced to operate on a shoestring budget, and we had a lot of loanees who couldn't give a toss.

If he was given the money Malky had, he'd have taken us up, and kept us there.
    That's how i feel about it also.

Sometimes I think Jones was almost unlucky not to have got us promoted on at least one of the chances he conjured up during his tenure.

He (we) certainly got let down by a few of the key players on at least one playoff occasion.

The Dave Jones shoestring budget myth again.

The tactical genius who thought Kelvin Etuuhu was a better option than Ross McCormack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The Dave Jones shoestring budget myth again.

The tactical genius who thought Kelvin Etuuhu was a better option than Ross McCormack.
    Yep.

The same Dave Jones that couldn't see that Rambo was a class act.

The same Dave Jones that couldn't take us up with a strikeforce of Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack.

The same Dave Jones that's currently out of work, having been sacked by Sheffield three years ago.

Overrated miserable bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Yep.

The same Dave Jones that couldn't see that Rambo was a class act.

The same Dave Jones that couldn't take us up with a strikeforce of Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack.

The same Dave Jones that's currently out of work, having been sacked by Sheffield three years ago.

Overrated miserable bastard.

The same Dave Jones that wished away travelling fans a shit journey home

The same Dave Jones that had no plan B

The same Dave Jones that won only a handful of games if we conceded first

Don't mention the 4-4 at Peterborough, it still gives me nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

Dave Jones told reporters to have a shit journey home.

He deserved it more than OGS who actually did 'manage' us in the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He deserved it more than OGS who actually did 'manage' us in the PL.
    That wasn't OGS's fault though, it was the idiots in charge who hired him.

Jones had his chance and although it was an enjoyable ride, he was frustrating at times and ultimately he couldn't deliver.

So it's a NO from from me

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post

I went to one of these "an evening with" nights with Dave Jones recently.

It was near Wolverhampton so he mostly spoke about his time at Molineux but he's clearly still very fond of CCFC.

He said we were so close to going out of business once that the team bus pulled over on the motorway on the way to an away game and waited for a phone call to say whether the match would go ahead.

Comes across as a decent guy.

He said he wanted to manage abroad next.

Me too... so why did you mention it?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I went to one of these "an evening with" nights with Dave Jones recently.

He said he wanted to manage abroad next.
    I thinks he's already managed a broad all right..

and Plymouth away in 2006, we were 3-0 up after 50 minutes and it ended up 3-3, Darren Purse scored an own goal in the dying minutes to give them a point, we were gutted.

We've got a lot to thank DJ for.

Established us as a championship side, we'd still probably be rotting in Ninian Park was it not for him moving the club forward.

Good City manager whose sides were easily the most entertaining we've had in the last ten years when they got it right. However, we are on the brink of the month that saw his teams fall to pieces no matter how well they had played in October - I tried for ages to find an explanation as to why we were so crap in November under Dave Jones, but eventually gave up, I think it must have just been one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    No.

2005/06 - 2 points off the playoffs with 7 games to go. We won 2 points from 21 and finished 11th.
    2006/07 - 5th in the table (after a lengthy spell at the top) with 9 games to go. We won 2 points from 27 and finished 13th.
    2007/08 - the year we'll never know if starting Ramsey would have won us the FA cup. Faded after a good start to 2007 in the league.
    2008/09 - 8 points and +18 goal difference better than Preston with 4 games to go (they had 3). We lost out to Preston for the last playoff spot.
    2009/10 - Finally made the playoffs, blew it with inept tactics and a strange substitution against Blackpool.
    2010/11 - The best squad Jones had to work with. 32 points from the opening 14 games and top, then 12 points from the next 36. We were still (somehow) second with 4 games to go, had it in our own hands, but won 1 of our last 4, missed out on automatic, then were shit in the playoffs.

I think Jones had his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No.

2005/06 - 2 points off the playoffs with 7 games to go. We won 2 points from 21 and finished 11th.
    2006/07 - 5th in the table (after a lengthy spell at the top) with 9 games to go. We won 2 points from 27 and finished 13th.
    2007/08 - the year we'll never know if starting Ramsey would have won us the FA cup. Faded after a good start to 2007 in the league.
    2008/09 - 8 points and +18 goal difference better than Preston with 4 games to go (they had 3). We lost out to Preston for the last playoff spot.
    2009/10 - Finally made the playoffs, blew it with inept tactics and a strange substitution against Blackpool.
    2010/11 - The best squad Jones had to work with. 32 points from the opening 14 games and top, then 12 points from the next 36. We were still (somehow) second with 4 games to go, had it in our own hands, but won 1 of our last 4, missed out on automatic, then were shit in the playoffs.

Pretty damning prècis that and should leave nobody in doubt.
    Always thought there was something fishy about that 2008/09 season

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No.

It's damning stuff. I've changed my mind from my previous post.
    I'd put aside a lot of the frustration and unexplainable tactics.
    Subsequent seasons including PL embarrassment, off-field shenanigans, OGS and Slade can rosy the ol' glasses somewhat.

We did have some incredibly entertaining stuff under DJ. So to speak ..

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    That wasn't OGS's fault though, it was the idiots in charge who hired him.

Jones had his chance and although it was an enjoyable ride, he was frustrating at times and ultimately he couldn't deliver.

So it's a NO from from me
    No it was OGS' fault. He signed Jones, Fabio, Berget , Daehli, Eikram, Cala and Zaha. All were crap. Cala was top scorer
    Of them that season with 2! Jones scored on his debut and was then crap. Daehli looked promising, Cala couldn't defend and Fabio, Berget , Eikram and Zaha were terrible.

Feel he would have made a better fist of it than Milky.

His sides were very entertaining indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Pretty damning prècis that and should leave nobody in doubt.
    Always thought there was something fishy about that 2008/09 season
    He had history in that regard. In 2001/2, as Wolves manager and after a large summer spending spree, his side were 8 points clear at the top of the division with 9 to go. They managed to win only 2 of their last 9, missed out on automatic promotion (which had looked a formality for months), then they lost in the semis of the playoffs. His Wolves team the previous season won 6 points from their last 9 matches too.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Feel he would have made a better fist of it than Milky.

His sides were very entertaining indeed.
    There were more entertaining moments than with Malky and others but let's not go overboard. There was far more hitting into the corners for chopra to chase than genuine entertainment.

The best football we played with DJ was when routledge was here, which was a couple of months. He was the one that got away.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    No it was OGS' fault. He signed Jones, Fabio, Berget , Daehli, Eikram, Cala and Zaha. All were crap. Cala was top scorer
    Of them that season with 2! Jones scored on his debut and was then crap. Daehli looked promising, Cala couldn't defend and Fabio, Berget , Eikram and Zaha were terrible.
    Yes but let me explain... if the muppets who hired OGS had gone for someone else, the aforementioned shower (with the exception of Fabio who did his level best to entertain us even in our darkest times over the last couple of years) would not have been at the City

Slightly off topic but relevant anyway is that if Tan had bode his time a little rather than exposing Malky Mackay, we may well have been in Europe by now!
    Then again, if my auntie.....etc