+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Taking someone to court advice

Banned

Taking someone to court advice

A company owes me about 3.5k since February. Got plenty of emails off them, to use as evidence, that it's not a case of won't paying, but they simply can't pay.

I've had a titfull now tho. The way I look at it , if they can't pay genuinely, then I don't care if they get a ccj or not.

Anyone used the courts before? Can I step up on high court and get he bailiffs in

Re: Taking someone to court advice

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    A company owes me about 3.5k since February. Got plenty of emails off them, to use as evidence, that it's not a case of won't paying, but they simply can't pay.

I've had a titfull now tho. The way I look at it , if they can't pay genuinely, then I don't care if they get a ccj or not.

Anyone used the courts before? Can I step up on high court and get he bailiffs in

Better off sending them a seven day notice from a solicitor first or you can register online with Thomas Higgins and they will send it on your behalf. Failing that it's a small claims court as the next step.
    The Thomas Higgins letter will cost you £3 and that normally gets the money paid

Don't blame you for being narked. I don't know the legals here but hope you can get some of your money back. Maybe worth protecting yourself in future and asking for say half the money upfront to at least cover off your expenses on jobs. The small claims court can be a bit of a lottery but it's probably the best and least expensive route to take.

Baseball bat and a chainsaw normally works When I go debt collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Baseball bat and a chainsaw normally works When I go debt collecting
    sound advice from Negan there, what gives people the right to have work done and materials/parts paid for if they can`t afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbccfc View Post
    sound advice from Negan there, what gives people the right to have work done and materials/parts paid for if they can`t afford it.
    You need to shut that shit down. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by steve davies View Post
    Better off sending them a seven day notice from a solicitor first or you can register online with Thomas Higgins and they will send it on your behalf. Failing that it's a small claims court as the next step.
    The Thomas Higgins letter will cost you £3 and that normally gets the money paid
    The Thomas Higgins letter worked for me with a non-paying client a couple of years ago.

It's no laughing matter. I've just been through something similar. A company I had done work for are now on the bones of their arse. They were due to pay me in June and eventually paid me this month after I served a winding up notice on them. That spurred them in to action and they eventually paid me, after much grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    It's no laughing matter. I've just been through something similar. A company I had done work for are now on the bones of their arse. They were due to pay me in June and eventually paid me this month after I served a winding up notice on them. That spurred them in to action and they eventually paid me, after much grief.
    Disgraceful. Poor sods. No wonder they didn't want to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Disgraceful. Poor sods. No wonder they didn't want to pay.
    What is disgraceful?

The fact that their business was piss poor is what is disgraceful.

It's an awful situation, small claims can take a long time and as has been said is a bit of a lottery. I always take a 50 percent deposit on big jobs so at least it's only mostly my time they stitch me for. It's theft pure and simple.

Banned

Thanks guys. I'll get the £3 letter on the go.

After that letter if it does not do any good, threaten them with a winding up order, bankruptcy, that will surely panic them into paying they will then get the money from somewhere

Send your letter, if that doesn't work, take them to court, if they still won't pay, get the sheriffs in. They have more power than bailiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    After that letter if it does not do any good, threaten them with a winding up order, bankruptcy, that will surely panic them into paying they will then get the money from somewhere
    Worked for me.