+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The politics of war.... I just don't understand

The politics of war.... I just don't understand

We are happy to spend billions on weapons we hopefully never use (it would be a complete democratic failure if a Prime Minister ever needed to sanction that action) and now argue that should continue to arm Saudi Arabia in its attacks on Yemini citizens because a) others would sell the same arms without the restrictions we insist on in the contract and b) we offer guidance to ensure that as few civilians as possible are killed.

We are profiteering from a government which is killing innocent people and feel it;s the correct and sensible action to continue to do so. I don't understand how Brexiteers can argue that the UK has such a reputation around the world that leaving the EU won't be a disaster but no one can suggest we should use the same reputation to limit arms sales and such eagerness to war.

Re: The politics of war.... I just don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We are happy to spend billions on weapons we hopefully never use (it would be a complete democratic failure if a Prime Minister ever needed to sanction that action) and now argue that should continue to arm Saudi Arabia in its attacks on Yemini citizens because a) others would sell the same arms without the restrictions we insist on in the contract and b) we offer guidance to ensure that as few civilians as possible are killed.

We are profiteering from a government which is killing innocent people and feel it;s the correct and sensible action to continue to do so. I don't understand how Brexiteers can argue that the UK has such a reputation around the world that leaving the EU won't be a disaster but no one can suggest we should use the same reputation to limit arms sales and such eagerness to war.
    I've just come out of an alcohol induced coma so please excuse me for not understanding your convoluted post.

Apropos your reference to Saudi Arabia, Mathew Parris said in The Times today that they are blackmailing us and he is about as establishment as they come. If we don't continue the support and the arms they will get nasty.

Our support for the US and Israel is just straight forward bribery. Our leaders are in their pockets.