+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: funeral cost

funeral cost

anyone had to pay for a funeral of late? i was just trying to get a ball park figure into my head when the time comes for somebody close who is about to leave us.

Re: funeral cost

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    anyone had to pay for a funeral of late? i was just trying to get a ball park figure into my head when the time comes for somebody close who is about to leave us.
    Well there was a 7K figure mentioned on the morning advert touting life insurance which shocked me.
    I'm sure they exaggerate the costs though but you are talking thousands no doubt.

Sorry for your loss by the way.

I paid around £4,000 for a funeral a couple of years ago. It was a cremation so the coffin was fairly simple. Two cars and the hearse. A couple of bearers provided and also included burial plot for the urn but not headstone which was about £1,000 including lettering.

A family member had paid about half that for a similar funeral with a different firm a few months before.

Sorry for your loss.

thanks for the info. not as much as i was excpeting. much appreciated.

Thankfully, it's been a long time since I had to arrange a funeral - it was my Mum's in 1999. I can't remember whether it cost just over or just under £1,000, but there was less than a hundred quid in it either way. Therefore, to read figures such as four or seven grand now comes as a surprise to me. I know they've gone up a fair bit, but those sort of rises are way, way above inflation - anyone know how such price hikes can be justified?

Besides the obvious personal loss and accompanying grief it can be quite difficult sitting with the funeral director and going through the types of coffin and other paraphernalia. Nobody wants to look like a skinflint going through the cheapest options but does it really matter if the handles are plastic or brass etc? And as the money often comes from the state of the deceased it can complicate matters further. Perhaps it's best to discuss it with other members of the family, including any beneficiaries.
    Sorry to hear about your sad situation.

Cost of funeral director and staff , crematorium, vicar soon adds up . Minimum £4 k

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thankfully, it's been a long time since I had to arrange a funeral - it was my Mum's in 1999. I can't remember whether it cost just over or just under £1,000, but there was less than a hundred quid in it either way. Therefore, to read figures such as four or seven grand now comes as a surprise to me. I know they've gone up a fair bit, but those sort of rises are way, way above inflation - anyone know how such price hikes can be justified?
    Off the top of my head, the advert says something like "funeral can cost as much as seven thousand pounds, would you want your family to have to meet those costs upon your death".
    It is like most things though, there are cheaper ways to go about things but even a "pauper's" funeral costs!

I should also have added that these people advertising want your monthly payment so they will of course exagerate

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Cost of funeral director and staff , crematorium, vicar soon adds up . Minimum £4 k
    Had the unpleasant task of arranging one about 4 years back. 4K upwards is about right.
    I'd also echo all that TBG said.

Sorry to hear of the OP's situation.

My old dear paid about 5k for hers recently at Pidgeons on Cowbridge Road. We tried to convince her that leaving her body out on the Wenallt for the birds and small animals to eat would have been cheaper and cooler but she preferred the more traditional option. I'm told that if you are looking to save a few quid Green Willow Funerals are a decent option.

This may be an option for people who don't like funerals,from about £1200.It is what I want,family and friends could have a wake in the pub and save a bundle of cash.

https://www.purecremation.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    My old dear paid about 5k for hers recently at Pidgeons on Cowbridge Road. We tried to convince her that leaving her body out on the Wenallt for the birds and small animals to eat would have been cheaper and cooler but she preferred the more traditional option. I'm told that if you are looking to save a few quid Green Willow Funerals are a decent option.
    Green Willow did my Mother and Brother. Great service and reasonable cost, didn't see it as a cheap option, just better value for money.

James summer did my Father, total rip off.

I read yesterday that someone who lost their baby after just 6 days, had to pay £1900 for the funeral with just £200 subsided.
    Disgusting.

We used a place called Coles in Rumney on Newport road for my old mans funeral this week. £4690 for everything, much cheaper than some of the well known firms in Cardiff.

Not sure whether this will apply to you buddy but there is a Benefit Payment available if you are on certain benefits / low income. My brother's wife claimed around £1400 I think but that was around 6/7 years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments
    Last edited by Thoth; 01-11-16 at 15:38.

Donate the body to science?

It may sound crass, but it will benefit humanity in the long term, and the body is returned for a service of your choice after a year.
    Last edited by bobh; 01-11-16 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Donate the body to science.

It may sound crass, but it will benefit humanity in the long term, and the body is returned for a service of your choice after a year.
    But do they pay for the funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    We used a place called Coles in Rumney on Newport road for my old mans funeral this week. £4690 for everything, much cheaper than some of the well known firms in Cardiff.

Sorry to hear about your sad, recent loss.

duplicate post.
    Last edited by Rock_Flock_of_Five; 02-11-16 at 10:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Besides the obvious personal loss and accompanying grief it can be quite difficult sitting with the funeral director and going through the types of coffin and other paraphernalia. Nobody wants to look like a skinflint going through the cheapest options but does it really matter if the handles are plastic or brass etc? And as the money often comes from the state of the deceased it can complicate matters further. Perhaps it's best to discuss it with other members of the family, including any beneficiaries.
    Sorry to hear about your sad situation.

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sorry to hear about your sad, recent loss.
    Thanks

'Tonight' on ITV now about the big Funeral rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Had the unpleasant task of arranging one about 4 years back. 4K upwards is about right.
    I'd also echo all that TBG said.

Sorry to hear of the OP's situation.
    One thing I am mindful of after sorting out the most humble of estates (i.e. in respect of poor relatives) is to think about the poor buggers who will clear our house when the final curtain falls. I therefore try to stop collecting stuff or to release as many items as I am still collecting. Some poor soul will have to look at my Man albums and City programmes and wonder whether they should be taken straight to the tip....

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There is no justification. What amazes me is the arrogance of it all. You will find (especially with figures quoted within funeral saving plans) that costs are already being extrapolated for years ahead with the same percentage increase year-on-year based on a 100% rise over the last 10 years i.e. if the average cost now is £4000, in 10 years time it will be £8000!