+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fifa 'rejects England & Scotland request to wear poppies on armbands'

Blue in the Face

Fifa 'rejects England & Scotland request to wear poppies on armbands'

Disgrace.

Teams and players should unite and wear poppies anyway...

.................................................. ......

Fifa has turned down a request from England and Scotland for players to wear armbands featuring poppies on Armistice Day, the Scottish FA says.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37832115

England play Scotland in a World Cup qualifier at Wembley on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom traditionally remembers its war dead.

SFA chief Stewart Regan says Fifa, which bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts, is "sticking to the letter of the law".

The FAs hope to change Fifa's mind.

The football associations of England, Scotland and Wales - who face Serbia at the Cardiff City Stadium on 12 November - also want to know what the potential punishments could be should they decide to flout the rules.

Fifa, football's world governing body, has not indicated whether a points penalty would be under consideration.

Regan said he and FA chief executive Martin Glenn would be meeting Fifa officials on Thursday to discuss the poppy issue.

"We will be asking for their support to try to give the people of England and Scotland what they want," Regan told BBC Radio 5 live.

"That is to use this match of a way of remembering people who lost their lives in the war.

"I can understand why they are doing this, but it is nothing more than a mark of respect. It is a personal choice. This is not about making some political point."

The compromise of wearing a printed poppy on an armband was brokered for England's 1-0 friendly win over Spain at Wembley on 12 November, 2011.

A spokesman for the English Football Association said: "We are working closely with the Royal British Legion once again this year to honour and remember the sacrifices made by those serving in the armed forces.

"In recent weeks, the FA has led remembrance discussions with Fifa to allow the England team to show its support for the Poppy Appeal during the World Cup qualifier with Scotland."

BBC Sports news correspondent Richard Conway says it is believed the new Fifa administration, under president Gianni Infantino, is "more sensitive" to such issues than predecessor Sepp Blatter and a "rapid solution" will be found.

England are top of their 2018 World Cup qualifying group with seven points from three games. Group F rivals Scotland are fourth with four points.

The top team qualifies automatically for the finals in Russia, with the second-placed side possibly entering a play-off.

Wales lie third in Group D, behind Serbia and the Republic of Ireland.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 01-11-16 at 16:36.

Re: Fifa 'rejects England & Scotland request to wear poppies on armbands'

That don't make sense at all.
    I'm sure we (Wales) were allowed to wear poppy's a few years back.

Bloody wear them and take the fine,what they going to do, ban the teams .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Take the fine- Yes
    Points deduction- sadly no.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    This.

Bollocks to the corrupt organisation that is FIFA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    That don't make sense at all.
    I'm sure we (Wales) were allowed to wear poppy's a few years back.
    we wore them on armbands. it's a loophole. This is what will happen next week I'd imagine.Hard to moan too much, the rules are there.

They can wear them before the game and after the game, I don't see the problem. You don't have to wear them 24/7 for the whole of November to be a good Briton

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    we wore them on armbands. it's a loophole. This is what will happen next week I'd imagine.Hard to moan too much, the rules are there.
    The rules state that no political, religious or commercial messages are to be displayed on shirts.

Are poppies really political?? They are simply a gesture for remembering the dead. They are not a war or political protest. Our tradition of wearing them is older than FIFA. It becomes political when we are told to break tradition and not wear them. FIFA would not be able to enforce a points deduction or a fine because of this point. Wear them.

This is why it's called "remembrance", so that we are never allowed to forget. With the sacrificial generation dying out we need to carry this tradition on by any means. Football is quite possibly the most effective way to pass this remembrance on to another generation.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 01-11-16 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They can wear them before the game and after the game, I don't see the problem. You don't have to wear them 24/7 for the whole of November to be a good Briton
    THIS^^^^^

I think they look cute

2174d2570f48efa23c569cb5c0c51c28.jpg

Gianni Infantino the FIFA president has dual nationality, Swiss and Italian, says it all really.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Gianni Infantino the FIFA president has dual nationality, Swiss and Italian, says it all really.
    I bet he's a "Stallion"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The rules state that no political, religious or commercial messages are to be displayed on shirts.

Are poppies really political?? They are simply a gesture for remembering the dead. They are not a war or political protest. Our tradition of wearing them is older than FIFA. It becomes political when we are told to break tradition and not wear them. FIFA would not be able to enforce a points deduction or a fine because of this point. Wear them.

This is why it's called "remembrance", so that we are never allowed to forget. With the sacrificial generation dying out we need to carry this tradition on by any means. Football is quite possibly the most effective way to pass this remembrance on to another generation.
    Surely so.

That said, I also agree that they don't need to be worn 24/7 throughout the period up to and just past Armistice.

Looking back, I dont believe that poppy wearing used to last anywhere near so long. It was more about the week leading up to the Armistice, and then the Armistice weekend itself, which surely makes the point more strongly?

But thats a different discussion. I dont see how Remembrance poppies should be considered 'political'.
    And who does it offend?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Surely so.

That said, I also agree that they don't need to be worn 24/7 throughout the period up to and just past Armistice.

Looking back, I dont believe that poppy wearing used to last anywhere near so long. It was more about the week leading up to the Armistice, and then the Armistice weekend itself, which surely makes the point more strongly?

But thats a different discussion. I dont see how Remembrance poppies should be considered 'political'.
    And who does it offend?
    Agree with all of your points about wearing them for the whole month too, which seems to be a new fad that I've privately found a tad cringeworthy. Perhaps this is down to selling early to collect more? Not sure.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 01-11-16 at 18:58.

There is a long held view that red poppies are associated with more than simple remembrance, which is why white poppies were introduced in the 1930s. I usually wear red, but I am uncomfortable with some of the pressure and associations that come with red poppies (more in recent years than when I was young), and I was impressed by Benjamin Zephania's explanation of why he wears white at a poetry event in Sheffield some years back. I doubt FIFA is basing it's daft decision on any of this though.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

If the various UK associations want to wear poppies then they should. But when did this become such a thing?
    I don't remember this being a big deal during the 80's or 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

The red poppy is seen by some as advocating the British Army and anything that they've done which makes FIFA see it as a political thing

England, Scotland and Wales will probably wear armbands that have poppies on them like they have in the past

http://m.independent.ie/lifestyle/ho...-28895105.html
    Whether you are intending it to be a political statement or not that is how it is going to be perceived by some.
    It really isn't too much to ask not to wear one for 90 minutes.

I don't understand why footballers need to be seen wearing poppies. For me it's about Remembrance Sunday. A lot of us lost family members and we should never forget but why are the domestic football associations in need of players wearing poppies?

I don't understand why a symbol of Remembrance Sunday starts to appear in October and nor do I understand why there needs to be stylish poppies which have been so popular on red carpets and Saturday night TV - I feel it's totally against remembering how all gave some in what is always ugly for Simon Cowell to wear a more expensive, pretty poppy.

I don't understand how an article that makes reference to England, Scotland and Wales wishing to pay respect focuses 85% plus on England.

As for something someone else doesn't understand:

"I can understand why they are doing this, but it is nothing more than a mark of respect. It is a personal choice. This is not about making some political point."
    It's hardly a personal choice unless you give the players the chance to opt out. Presumably each player can do that however given the reaction to the West Brom player in the press many seem to forget that's ok too.

I would hope each nation would accept a fine if even a single player wishes to demonstrate respect in this way but hopefully we won't risk points deduction.

We understand poppies to be worn where someone chooses to respect the fallen, but all the poppy wearing in the world doesn't make up for the fact that we are still a squabbling bunch of morons hell bent on anything but peace and harmony.

Dont wish to pick on the likes of Simon Cowell - he's not alone - but yes its pretty sickening to see saturday nite collection of vacuous narcissists with their designer poppies
    But once October () rolls on, they all start wearing them and thereafter ... likely they would face a personal sh1t-storm if they did not.
    Very little seems sincere about it if the poppies appear to be 'worn for effect/compliance' loooong before Remembrance Day.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 01-11-16 at 21:06.

We understand poppies to be worn where someone chooses to respect the fallen, but all the poppy wearing in the world doesn't make up for the fact that we are still a squabbling bunch of morons hell bent on anything but peace and harmony.

Dont wish to pick on the likes of Simon Cowell - he's not alone - but yes its pretty sickening to see saturday nite collection of vacuous narcissists with their designer poppies
    But once October () rolls on, they all start wearing them and thereafter ... likely they would face a personal sh1t-storm if they did not.
    Very little seems sincere about it if the poppies appear to be 'worn for effect/compliance' loooong before Remembrance Day.
    This.

There's a beautiful dignity to the old soldier selling them for the British Legion and the March on rememberance Day
    This seems a bit of cheap point scoring whipped up by the usual nauseating rags of The Scum and Fail trying to show 'we are more nationalistic then you'

****ing vomit inducing trying to hijack this day for their own sensationalist crap.

Surely so.

And who does it offend?
    It seems to offend a lot of people when James McClean decides not to wear one. For me it's linked too tightly with the current war efforts. There's also the case of groups like britain first almost stealing the poppy for themselves and using it to promote their brand of 'britishness'.

All in all, not for me. I'll stand in silence for two minutes and give my money to the poppy man, but I won't be wearing a poppy.

Playing Devil's advocate here,

When myself and my Mrs were growing up, it's as a lot of you have stated, "that you would only see and hear about poppies in the week before Remembrance Day"

Since our son has joined the army and been sent to fight in several wars (did he & his fellow comrades join for this, I really don't know), our attitude to all things army and Remembrance Day has totally changed.

He (we) have lost 5 good friends over the last 16 years, young lads that we met and befriended.

It galvanizes you and makes you stronger for the ones left behind.

I think that is why it is "so in your face", these days, as families have been reminded by recent losses, of those that lost their lives before.
    What must have it been like in 1919 and 1946, with the lack of support for families who had lost a loved one and it's not that great these days sometimes.

My Mrs has a "Poppy Shrine" all the year round in the porch and she is proud to display "HELP for HEROES" stickers in the windows of the porch.

Everyone can have their own opinion on selling/wearing poppies, but please don't try and make it political it degrades all those who "GAVE UP THEIR LIVES"

Cue the usual suspects lining up to spew their faux outrage. Very predictably the nauseating Theresa May isn't turning down the opportunity to make a bit if political capital out of it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37848413

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

Funny that May, I haven't heard any players complaining. Not one.