+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football Greed - again..

Football Greed - again..

I know Tottenham will claim UEFA have told them they must play their champions league games away from White Hart Lane, but call me an old cynic, but I can't help thinking Levy jumped at the chance to get a few more bums on seats and opt for Wembley.

That Spurs have played all their games 'away' from home, must be a major contributory factor to their poor results - the players obviously don't like it there - and any financial gain from the move will be more that wiped out by their impending exit..

Re: Football Greed - again..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know Tottenham will claim UEFA have told them they must play their champions league games away from White Hart Lane, but call me an old cynic, but I can't help thinking Levy jumped at the chance to get a few more bums on seats and opt for Wembley.

That Spurs have played all their games 'away' from home, must be a major contributory factor to their poor results - the players obviously don't like it there - and any financial gain from the move will be more that wiped out by their impending exit..

Surely if they want to play at WHL in the champions league they can?

Are they saying that UEFA have said they can't play there?

I've not seen anything to say that Spurs claim UEFA made them play there? Pretty sure they were quite open about it being thier choice from the start in order to allow more fans to get to games. Of course Levy will have been thinking about the money too.

I'm sure there are smaller stadiums in use in the champions league than the current capacity of WHL, i.e. Monaco, so not sure why you think there's any mention of UEFA making them move there?

I think it has something to do with the ongoing work/upgrade to WHL. Maybe it does not comply with UEFA rules/policy and therefore games had to be played elsewhere. Though greed on behalf of Spurs board seems more likely to be the reason.
    Spedger

I think its because they're having to play all next season at Wembley, and I suppose because WHL currently only holds 31k they thought they could prepare and make a bit of extra cash in champions league. Stupid idea but I don't think its all greed, I think they're just getting used to it.