Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deomocracy at last.

Deomocracy at last.

Re: Deomocracy at last.

10 pager nqat

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    10 pager nqat
    It'll be interesting to hear what the knuckle daggers think of our elected parliament debating and eventually making a decision that will affect the country, whichever way they choose.

This wasn't announced at 10am byany chance was it?

IMG_20161103_104943.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    It'll be interesting to hear what the knuckle daggers think of our elected parliament debating and eventually making a decision that will affect the country, whichever way they choose.
    1. You lost, get over it
    2. UKIP should've had more seats in a first past the post system
    3. Sour grapes etc

£ already up against the $

1. You lost, get over it
    3. Sour grapes etc

Remain voters are the only ones with a functioning brain you see.

Even though 99% of people I know voted remain and they haven't the slightest idea of politics or goings on in the world beyond headlines.

Shall we start debating the results of general elections? Because that is the equivalent.

1. You lost, get over it
    3. Sour grapes etc

As is being pointed out elsewhere, Leaver voters voted to take back control. This is a Briitish court applying British law saying the British pariament voted for by British people should decide what to do after the British people advised them in a referendum. This is democracy in action.

As is being pointed out elsewhere, Leaver voters voted to take back control. This is a Briitish court applying British law saying the British pariament voted for by British people should decide what to do after the British people advised them in a referendum. This is democracy in action.
    Parliament voted to put the vote to the people.

It was an act of parliament.

It is like debating the results of a general election.

I think it's a PR coup for the govt/leave camp.
    They can play the outages card accusing the courts of undermining the will of the people.

Chances are then that the Supreme Court will overturn this anyway.

Remain voter by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Parliament voted to put the vote to the people.

It was an act of parliament.

It is like debating the results of a general election.
    No it isn't, general elections are legally binding, this was always advisory. Nobody has the legal authority to activate article 50 yet. Unless the queen can by some outdated rule somewhere.

It makes sense to me to have a vote once we know what the terms are.
    With any project you decide to do it and then reassess once the terms are made clear.
    Say you and the wife decide to get an extension put on to raise the value of the house. If the first quote comes back saying it'll actually cost twice what you thought and actually lower the value of your house you wouldn't say "well we have already decided now so we have to do it"
    No you will look for a better option or abandon the idea altogether.

Fwiw I think it'll get through parliament without too much difficulty, as not many MPs will want to be seen as going against the majority of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Fwiw I think it'll get through parliament without too much difficulty, as not many MPs will want to be seen as going against the majority of the population.
    Th best thing about it is that the government will have to give away some of their plan in order to get it through.

I'm also doubtful that the lords will pass it

One of Blair's protégés and a bossy foreign born woman married to a Jewish hedge fund multi-millionaire are overturning the wishes of the majority of voters. This will not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    One of Blair's protégés and a bossy foreign born woman married to a Jewish hedge fund multi-millionaire are overturning the wishes of the majority of voters. This will not end well.
    What religion is everyone else involved?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What religion is everyone else involved?
    It is relevant because when it all goes tits up he can move to Israel. If you don't have a second country - or probably first in his case - you are stuck here.

It is relevant because when it all goes tits up he can move to Israel. If you don't have a second country - or probably first in his case - you are stuck here.
    Think there are other countries in the world to live in, should you wish to try.

No they're not. They're overturning the (publicly facing at least) wishes of one person. They're actually doing what brexiters voted for.

Think there are other countries in the world to live in, should you wish to try.
    Do they sell pizza and curry there though?

I always wondered why you loved dai splott.

You argued with him, but there was always an underlying love.

Now I know why.

A SMALL majority, a number of whom have been reported as regretting their decision. (cuts both ways I'm sure)

Speaking as a remainer, I find the whole situation absolutely crazy.

Before the vote the government clearly had no plan of how to implement brexit.
    They clearly hadn't considered the potential for this commons challenge and how to manage it.

The brexit vote was published with local results which could influence the MP of those constituencies i.e MP A was a Brexiter, he believes that this democratic vote should stand, yet his constituents who elected him mainly voted to remain.
    Does he vote:
    a. To uphold the result of the democratic referendum
    b. In accordance with the wishes of his constituency?
    c. With his conscience (I know, I laughed at this bit too)

What happens when all the Scottish MP's vote to reject the triggering of article 50
    All the Welsh ones vote to press the button
    And all the South East MP's vote remain

It's an absolute fecking shambles

A SMALL majority, a number of whom have been reported as regretting their decision. (cuts both ways I'm sure)

Speaking as a remainer, I find the whole situation absolutely crazy.

Before the vote the government clearly had no plan of how to implement brexit.
    They clearly hadn't considered the potential for this commons challenge and how to manage it.

The brexit vote was published with local results which could influence the MP of those constituencies i.e MP A was a Brexiter, he believes that this democratic vote should stand, yet his constituents who elected him mainly voted to remain.
    Does he vote:
    a. To uphold the result of the democratic referendum
    b. In accordance with the wishes of his constituency?
    c. With his conscience (I know, I laughed at this bit too)

What happens when all the Scottish MP's vote to reject the triggering of article 50
    All the Welsh ones vote to press the button
    And all the South East MP's vote remain

It's an absolute fecking shambles
    Yep spot on.

What was / is the ****ing plan if we go was always my arguement .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No it isn't, general elections are legally binding, this was always advisory. Nobody has the legal authority to activate article 50 yet. Unless the queen can by some outdated rule somewhere.

It makes sense to me to have a vote once we know what the terms are.
    With any project you decide to do it and then reassess once the terms are made clear.
    Say you and the wife decide to get an extension put on to raise the value of the house. If the first quote comes back saying it'll actually cost twice what you thought and actually lower the value of your house you wouldn't say "well we have already decided now so we have to do it"
    No you will look for a better option or abandon the idea altogether.
    A vote in parliament gave the power, emphasis on POWER, to the people.

MP's should act on the will of the people. In this case. Not all.

Jacob Rees Mogg said parliament should never act on the opinion of the people alone. But by voting on it, it became more than just an opinion. They should act to some degree on the wishes of their constituents.

This is parliamentary democracy, I'll accept. But I think the country/countries now know it is a farce. There is no democracy. MP's hold absolute power.

It may be the correct process. But this is the day millions lost complete confidence in the system.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 03-11-16 at 12:06.

It is not as easy to emigrate as you think. If you don't want to go to an EU country then Australia is the first choice for most Britons, but they will not take anyone over 50. They also have many other conditions. Unless you pretend to be an asylum seeker I can't think of many countries who would accept a retired person for example. Despite all the Indians and Chinese we have here it is almost impossible to emigrate there unless you are of Indian or Chinese extraction.

Do they sell pizza and curry there though?
    Doubt it, good old British foods that only the Brits can do properly.