+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Politicians in the UK and the law

Re: Politicians in the UK and the law

Brexit voters voted for many different reasons but one that was put forward as significant was for our democratic processes to have unrestricted control over our laws. This seems to be a perfect example of that.

Interesting snippet I caught last night on The Wales Report (maybe) which highlighted that being part of the EU tied together the devolved policy areas of the UK but now they could start to look very different. In an election of double think (Pro-EU voters stayed silent or backed remain, Pro-leave backed staying, natural opposition joined together and those closest to each other divided - all with their own agenda) it could mean yet another example with those not liking laws being made by unelected officials who have limited understanding of our lives suddenly see exactly that happen with powers being returned to London.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    You simply cannot expect the PM to inform parliament of the expectations of the UK in negotiations before we even start. It is like showing a hand of cards to all the players and then starting to bet.
    Not really. That's almost suggesting the UK has a rabbit in its hat that it can pull out to get all/most of what it wants. Most of the main issues and agreements seem crystal clear - e.g restrictions of movement mean no membership of the single market. Anyone thinking the UK can negotiate a situation where we can have the penny and the bun are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not really. That's almost suggesting the UK has a rabbit in its hat that it can pull out to get all/most of what it wants. Most of the main issues and agreements seem crystal clear - e.g restrictions of movement mean no membership of the single market. Anyone thinking the UK can negotiate a situation where we can have the penny and the bun are living in cloud cuckoo land.
    sums it all up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    sums it all up nicely.
    It also means trusting Tories to get the best deal for us. Now, excuse me while my sides split!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It also means trusting Tories to get the best deal for us. Now, excuse me while my sides split!
    They'll try and get everything they can without FoM. That means they'll get nothing and it'll be WTO for us

International

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    No there wouldn't have been it was a conservative manifesto promise, there was no talk of a referendum on the labour manifesto.

Corbyn wouldn't have been in charge of the Labour party either.
    But Blair promised just such a referendum in about 2004 and then renaged on the promise. David Cameron kept his, however stupid you may believe he is.