+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Today's Attendance.....

Today's Attendance.....

of 51,127 was the highest for a non top flight City league game since April 1960 when 52,364 saw us beat Aston Villa to clinch promotion to Division 1. Highest second tier away attendance for us since December 1949 when 59,780 saw us lose 2-0 at Tottenham. Some of you might be interested.

Re: Today's Attendance.....

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    of 51,127 was the highest for a non top flight City league game since April 1960 when 52,364 saw us beat Aston Villa to clinch promotion to Division 1. Highest second tier away attendance for us since December 1949 when 59,780 saw us lose 2-0 at Tottenham. Some of you might be interested.
    I'm interested, diolch yn fawr butt

Nice one. Although 50000 of them appeared to be in comas

Banned

Incredible support something we will never see or even get close to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    us or 99% of the football league

That IS interesting and that's some crowd today!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    us or 99% of the football league
    us as in CCFC. Not interested in the other 99% (bar Charlton)

Not true - I saw a crowd around that size when we played Real Madrid. I'd argue it was actually larger as many of the crowd nipped over the back walls in those days.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Not true - I saw a crowd around that size when we played Real Madrid. I'd argue it was actually larger as many of the crowd nipped over the back walls in those days.
    We will always get the big one off crowd for a special game but we will never come close to the likes of Newcastle. They are there week in week out.

Great stat, thanks for sharing.

When Burton play Newcastle away that may well be the biggest crowd the club has ever played a league game in front of and probably ever will.

We will always get the big one off crowd for a special game but we will never come close to the likes of Newcastle. They are there week in week out.
    They were once fickle too. From 1978 to 1994 Newcastle didn't have an average season's attendance above 30,000. Their average was 16,000 in 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    They were once fickle too. From 1978 to 1994 Newcastle didn't have an average season's attendance above 30,000. Their average was 16,000 in 1991.
    ^ this. It takes sustained success to rid a city of it's legions of plastic Liverpool and Man Utd fans. If we got promoted this season and spent the next 25 years in the top tier then we would have a far bigger fanbase.

We already beat it in 1960.

Read the posts.

Crikey! 56 years ago was that game against Villa - I was 14 at the time and watched from the bob bank; great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    So true, here's their crowds for that 90/91 season with just 10.004 bothering to turn up for a game with Oxford in April - this was the season after Gazza's antics in the 1990 World Cup had made football cool for the first time in ages.

http://www.nufc.com/html/1990-91.html

Chelsea are another club that are look at as giants now, but sub 10,000 crowds at Stamford Bridge were recorded at Stamford Bridge in the 80s - yes, we are a fickle bunch, but it's far from being a characteristic unique to Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    We got that crowd for Real Madrid but Newcastle got their bumper crowd for us!

If the people of South Wales actually supported their local club instead of putting their support and money into English clubs then we could be like Newcastle too.

Sadly I'll never see it.

It really I should phenomenal up here- a religion, every other Saturday is like International day in Cardiff.

People showing pride in their region.

I'm so jealous- and sad that the supposed proud Welsh can't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We got that crowd for Real Madrid but Newcastle got their bumper crowd for us!

So the common denominator is:---- CARDIFF CITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Crikey! 56 years ago was that game against Villa - I was 14 at the time and watched from the bob bank; great memories.
    Me too my first game I was 9