+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotland stamps its feet

Re: Scotland stamps its feet

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    they wouldn't be the majority. In the brexit case, the majority is getting told you don't matter. Not a good precedent to set.

Like blue Wales said, Scotland is trying to get a good deal out of this. Wales is sitting in the corner twiddling it's thumbs. It's shameful
    The same as the people who voted to leave the UK weren't the majority so why all this talk of a second independence vote?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Why? They had their vote, they remained in the UK.

If they had a vote and they decided to leave the UK do you think it would be fair then that the people who wanted to remain would be allowed another vote?

The people of Scotland knew that remaining in the UK would mean their vote on the EU would be influenced outside of Scotland.
    It is a massive change in circumstances given Scotlands massive vote to remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It is a massive change in circumstances given Scotlands massive vote to remain.
    2,001,926 Scots voted to remain in the UK

1,661,191 Scots voted to remain in the EU

Typing the word massive over and over won't change that.

You don't keep voting until you get your own way, that's not really how it works.

2,001,926 Scots voted to remain in the UK

1,661,191 Scots voted to remain in the EU

Typing the word massive over and over won't change that.

You don't keep voting until you get your own way, that's not really how it works.
    I typed the word massive twice :S

At least you have finally found something you are passionate about, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be positive.

Quoting absolute numbers is just twisting reality. I could stick my fingers in my ears and say only ~30% of eligible voters in the UK wanted to leave the EU but it wouldn't reflect the result fairly.

Scotland voted to be in a UK that was very likely to remain in the EU. That being said, they would be mad to leave the UK at the moment but it doesn't change the fact that the landscape has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    On this issue we stand with England, the people have spoken in both countries and London, Belfast and Edinburgh were on the wrong side of the result.

I do agree with you RE second referendum but instead of trying to overturn Brexit (something we voted for as the UK) she needs to pick a date and have it. But she'd rather make threats, constantly bleat about the injustice of the result and make unrealistic demands of the UK government. She is trying to overturn something that the Welsh people voted for, that is not in the best interests of the people of Wales.

They said a second referendum was in order if there was a change in circumstances, I believe Brexit is a significant enough change to warrant indyref2, let's see how big Krankies bollocks are.
    The whole debacle seems a bit unprofessional, surely all of this nonsense about whether MP's vote and then whether the devolved governments have a say should have been made clear before. We have no even reached the tricky bit about how the government approaches negotiation yet. Shambles.

I typed the word massive twice :S

At least you have finally found something you are passionate about, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be positive.

Quoting absolute numbers is just twisting reality. I could stick my fingers in my ears and say only ~30% of eligible voters in the UK wanted to leave the EU but it wouldn't reflect the result fairly.

Scotland voted to be in a UK that was very likely to remain in the EU. That being said, they would be mad to leave the UK at the moment but it doesn't change the fact that the landscape has changed.
    Pointing out the stupidity of your posts doesn't make me "passionate" more compassionate I'd say.

Is it really twisting reality? More people voted to stay in the UK than voted to stay in Europe. The figures are directly comparable.

The same as the people who voted to leave the UK weren't the majority so why all this talk of a second independence vote?
    Leaving the EU is a big change in circumstance. It's fair they have another vote because it was a primary point on the remain side.

Fair play you sounds so totalitarian, 'they must do what we say'.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Leaving the EU is a big change in circumstance. It's fair they have another vote because it was a primary point on the remain side.

Fair play you sounds so totalitarian, 'they must do what we say'.
    On reflection, I partly agree with you on this point.

Nobody can say for sure how many scots voted to stay in the uk that would have voted differently if they had known about brexit. However it's probably fair to assume that a decent number may well fall into this category. On that basis alone, they've got a case for another referendum.

If they vote to stay as part of the uk after another referendum, then it'll put to bed the whole brexit argument.

If they choose to stay as part of the uk (knowing what they know now) then they follow whatever path the uk takes.

Who knows what is going to happen with the EU after Brexit and Trump? There are some big elections coming up next year, and the winds of change may continue to blow. Maybe we won't be the only ones who are going to be leaving.

There seems to be an assumption by the jocks that if they vote for independence that they will remain part of the EU and keep the £.

As far as I am aware this is not the case. They'd have to get in line for EU membership and adopt the euro

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Who knows what is going to happen with the EU after Brexit and Trump? There are some big elections coming up next year, and the winds of change may continue to blow. Maybe we won't be the only ones who are going to be leaving.
    I think plenty of people across Europe will be watching our exit closely, with the intention of looking to get out themselves.

The eu know this, that's why they're trying to talk tough - to discourage others from following suit.

The reality is that if we leave and everything is fine, then others will be not too far behind us.

The whole debacle seems a bit unprofessional, surely all of this nonsense about whether MP's vote and then whether the devolved governments have a say should have been made clear before. We have no even reached the tricky bit about how the government approaches negotiation yet. Shambles.
    I agree with you. The blame is often put on the leave campaign for not providing a roadmap to Brexit, this blame is misplaced. Cameron should have put far more resources and manpower into a contingency plan should the electorate go against his governments wishes, I believe he never thought we would vote to leave. The leave campaign did provide a vision for a Brexit Britain, the onus is not on them to deliver that. Cameron failed to prepare and Mrs May has had a lot of work to do to rectify that.

Camerons failure has led to this situation with Sturgeon. Personally I believe all devolved powers and regions of England should have a say in how we Brexit. I do not believe they should have a veto or any special status, EU membership is not a devolved matter, that is clear. Mrs May should allow a second Scottish referendum, absolutely justified in my eyes but will Sturgeon call one?

I agree with you. The blame is often put on the leave campaign for not providing a roadmap to Brexit, this blame is misplaced. Cameron should have put far more resources and manpower into a contingency plan should the electorate go against his governments wishes, I believe he never thought we would vote to leave. The leave campaign did provide a vision for a Brexit Britain, the onus is not on them to deliver that. Cameron failed to prepare and Mrs May has had a lot of work to do to rectify that.

Camerons failure has led to this situation with Sturgeon. Personally I believe all devolved powers and regions of England should have a say in how we Brexit. I do not believe they should have a veto or any special status, EU membership is not a devolved matter, that is clear. Mrs May should allow a second Scottish referendum, absolutely justified in my eyes but will Sturgeon call one?
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with every word

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    On reflection, I partly agree with you on this point.

Nobody can say for sure how many scots voted to stay in the uk that would have voted differently if they had known about brexit. However it's probably fair to assume that a decent number may well fall into this category. On that basis alone, they've got a case for another referendum.

If they vote to stay as part of the uk after another referendum, then it'll put to bed the whole brexit argument.

If they choose to stay as part of the uk (knowing what they know now) then they follow whatever path the uk takes
    I can't really see anyone disagreeing with this.

decent post (probably first time I've said it). On the bit in bold, she'd be mad to call one until they know the terms of brexit.

Also TH63 (forgot to quote), Croatia recently joined the EU. They don't use the euro. It's possible to join and not take up the euro. On the trajectory we're going at the moment, it seems the wise position would be to leave the £

Yeah agree with this. Leave campaign was a campaign, they trod on dangerous ground when they were seen by some to be making promises but the flip side is that they can't be expected to plan the future either.

Pointing out the stupidity of your posts doesn't make me "passionate" more compassionate I'd say.

Is it really twisting reality? More people voted to stay in the UK than voted to stay in Europe. The figures are directly comparable.
    It doesn't take into account obvious bias though (and you know it)

It doesn't take into account obvious bias though (and you know it)
    Trump isn't going to put Clinton in jail, isn't going to exclude foreigners from the US and isn't going to let the Mexicans build a wall around the US.

Should Americans be allowed another vote or should they be expected to understand the ramifications of any vote?

Trump isn't going to put Clinton in jail, isn't going to exclude foreigners from the US and isn't going to let the Mexicans build a wall around the US.

Should Americans be allowed another vote or should they be expected to understand the ramifications of any vote?
    That isn't the point I am making.

You can't compare the two numbers, there are too many areas of bias - whether the government is seen to be for/against, how the 'race' was presented in the polls/news, etc. You can compare margin of victory but I can see why you wouldn't.

Banned

That isn't the point I am making.

You can't compare the two numbers, there are too many areas of bias - whether the government is seen to be for/against, how the 'race' was presented in the polls/news, etc. You can compare margin of victory but I can see why you wouldn't.
    The figures used were to put your use of the word "massive" into context. I can fully understand why you would prefer to use percentages though.....

The figures used were to put your use of the word "massive" into context. I can fully understand why you would prefer to use percentages though.....
    No the figures were used to show that more people wanted to stay in the UK than stay in the EU. It is a false assumption and pretty clear that your job doesn't involve analysis or interpretation of numbers. Keep wriggling though if you can be bothered.

No the figures were used to show that more people wanted to stay in the UK than stay in the EU. It is a false assumption and pretty clear that your job doesn't involve analysis or interpretation of numbers. Keep wriggling though if you can be bothered.
    Finally you get something correct, my job doesn't involve analysis or interpretation of numbers. Does yours? What do you do?

Whatever YOU believe, the figures put your "massive" comments into perspective. The whole debate about having another vote based on the current situation is nonsense, like most of yours posts.
    :