+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax

Perhaps lost in the US general election interest, there was a rather important supreme court decision on the bedroom tax today.

The government has spent 3 years trying to get this disabled persons to pay up in what is now recognised as always being lawfully wrong, which you may or may not wish to try to justify.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ine-carmichael

Feedback

Re: Bedroom Tax

didn't 2 cases win and 5 cases lose? that's hardly a ringing endorsement against the government policy as you have claimed. still, I can't believe these cases ever ended up in court. special dispensation needs to be made for those with greater than average needs

Banned

It's a reasonable idea but the implementation of it has been fvcking woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    didn't 2 cases win and 5 cases lose? that's hardly a ringing endorsement against the government policy as you have claimed. still, I can't believe these cases ever ended up in court. special dispensation needs to be made for those with greater than average needs
    Greater than average? Why not on need?

what baffles me is why we cant correctly apply this ruling , its not that complicated to separate out a single fit person living off benefits in a 3 bedroom property, blocking family needing those properties , and those who have a spare bedroom for disability needs or armed forces personal working overseas for long periods who genuinely need the rooms .

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I don't think it is a ringing endorsement for government decision making if 2 out of every 7 things they do turn out to be illegal either though is it?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't think it is a ringing endorsement for government decision making if 2 out of every 7 things they do turn out to be illegal either though is it?
    i would hazard a guess thats its considerably less than 2 out of 7. you are only looking at those cases that got to the supreme court. what about the cases where the government had no case to answer?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    what baffles me is why we cant correctly apply this ruling , its not that complicated to separate out a single fit person living off benefits in a 3 bedroom property, blocking family needing those properties , and those who have a spare bedroom for disability needs or armed forces personal working overseas for long periods who genuinely need the rooms .
    armed forces persons would not be considerd unemployed as they are not unemployed. so they would not get benefits anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    It's a reasonable idea but the implementation of it has been fvcking woeful.
    It would have been a reasonable idea had there been enough properties with less bedrooms for people to move to. There weren't, so people were forced to accept it whether they liked it or not. The government would have known this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    armed forces persons would not be considerd unemployed as they are not unemployed. so they would not get benefits anyway!
    I know but there are stories where the parents/family of the armed forces are on benefits and receiving housing benefits, and that armed force person has a room with them when he is at home on leave