+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No poppies for Wales then...

Re: No poppies for Wales then...

Apologists central

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I'm far from an "angry Sun reading type" but this doesnt' sit too well with me; England and Scotland are defying the ban on principle, whilst the Welsh FAW are happy to respect the war dead - but only so far as there are no financial ramifications (there is no way there is a grounding for us to be deducted points when you look at what some of the other nations get away with).

On it's own the FAWs planned memorials would be fine but when you compare it with what our neighbours are doing, it leaves us wide open to criticism (and rightly so in my opinion).
    For goodness sake! Enough has been written about this, for FIFA to sanction a team for wearing these poppies, the opponents needed to complain. Since Eng and Scot were both wearing them, they were hardly going to complain against each other!
    Would you be happy to give Serbia the ability to reduce our points total merely by making a complaint? Correct decision Wales FA, many congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I'm far from an "angry Sun reading type" but this doesnt' sit too well with me; England and Scotland are defying the ban on principle, whilst the Welsh FAW are happy to respect the war dead - but only so far as there are no financial ramifications (there is no way there is a grounding for us to be deducted points when you look at what some of the other nations get away with).

On it's own the FAWs planned memorials would be fine but when you compare it with what our neighbours are doing, it leaves us wide open to criticism (and rightly so in my opinion).
    Do you believe that you can only commemorate our war dead by wearing a poppy?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I believe that the wearing of a poppy should be a personal choice made by the individual. This mass wearing of it by sports teams is very much a modern phenomenon and I feel it's being done just to be seen to be doing it so as not to incur the wrath of the media. Much like these celebrities with there sparkly poppies with bloody flashing led lights etc wearing them as a fashion item, I feel that cheapens the poppy as a symbol.
    I agree with you on this
    Still feels like Wales have made the wrong decision on this . Looks bad .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you believe that you can only commemorate our war dead by wearing a poppy?
    Nope , but sometimes you should stand up for what is right.

I wonder if the egg will wear a poppy alongside their English born princes feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I particularly like the way people are hiding behind the fact that there could have been a potential points deduction to justify it.

There is not the slightest chance a points deduction would have happened judging on previous incidents with FIFA but it's a convenient way for a nation to hide its embarasment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I particularly like the way people are hiding behind the fact that there could have been a potential points deduction to justify it.

There is not the slightest chance a points deduction would have happened judging on previous incidents with FIFA but it's a convenient way for a nation to hide its embarasment.
    I would have had more respect if they had put the point forward that Barry made.

To say "we might get fined" was indeed embarrassing.

I would have had more respect if they had put the point forward that Barry made.

To say "we might get fined" was indeed embarrassing.
    Why?

Given that wearing a poppy is an optional symbol of remembrance, what part of telling all the Welsh players they must wear poppies is standing up for what is right?

Given that wearing a poppy is an optional symbol of remembrance, what part of telling all the Welsh players they must wear poppies is standing up for what is right?
    That's right, the Welsh players should only wear a poppy if they want to, but should have the choice . As FIFA is a discredited organisation, synonymous with greed and corruption their stance shouldn't really affect someone who wishes to pay their respect to people who made the ultimate sacrifice. I very much doubt if Wales would be docked points, but even if they did and it cost them a World Cup place, I would be proud of them.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    That's right, the Welsh players should only wear a poppy if they want to, but should have the choice . As FIFA is a discredited organisation, synonymous with greed and corruption their stance shouldn't really affect someone who wishes to pay their respect to people who made the ultimate sacrifice. I very much doubt if Wales would be docked points, but even if they did and it cost them a World Cup place, I would be proud of them.
    If that happened there would be a huge outcry

They're wearing armbands, have a mosaic pre game and a minute's silence. That is dignified respect in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If that happened there would be a huge outcry

They're wearing armbands, have a mosaic pre game and a minute's silence. That is dignified respect in my opinion
    I'm sure most of the team would choose to wear poppies if they were allowed, I'd sacrifice a football tournament to honour those who sacrificed their lives. I'm not saying everyone should have the same principles, I'm getting on a bit, would probably cut off my nose to spite my face, but on this issue, this is how I feel. Don't expect everyone to agree, especially in this day and age.

I'm sure most of the team would choose to wear poppies if they were allowed, I'd sacrifice a football tournament to honour those who sacrificed their lives. I'm not saying everyone should have the same principles, I'm getting on a bit, would probably cut off my nose to spite my face, but on this issue, this is how I feel. Don't expect everyone to agree, especially in this day and age.
    They are honouring those who sacrificed their lives.

They are not doing it by insisting the team iron a plastic flower onto their shirt or armband in defiance of the tournament's governing body.

What is your problem with all the other acts and events by the FAW and the Wales team to mark Armistice Day and the service personnel who died?

Is it about respect and remembrance, or is it about compliance with the demands of tabloid newspapers, cynical politicians, football marketing and public relations departments, and lining up with Katie Hopkins in mock outrage? The FAW has tried to conform and not to offend all at the same time and found itself between a rock and a hard place. In the end they seem to have used good judgement in what they have arranged, My only disappointment is that they would have gone along with the bling approach to remembrance if FIFA hadn't implied there would be sanctions. Still, better their position than the ignorance and hypocrisy coming from other associations and the tabloid press!

Surprised the Argies agreed to wreaths etc in the rugby considering the Falklands.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Surprised the Argies agreed to wreaths etc in the rugby considering the Falklands.

Probably because they're not sensitive little flowers and understand that remembering your dead isn't political,no matter what the hand wringers say.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    They are honouring those who sacrificed their lives.

They are not doing it by insisting the team iron a plastic flower onto their shirt or armband in defiance of the tournament's governing body.

What is your problem with all the other acts and events by the FAW and the Wales team to mark Armistice Day and the service personnel who died?

Is it about respect and remembrance, or is it about compliance with the demands of tabloid newspapers, cynical politicians, football marketing and public relations departments, and lining up with Katie Hopkins in mock outrage? The FAW has tried to conform and not to offend all at the same time and found itself between a rock and a hard place. In the end they seem to have used good judgement in what they have arranged, My only disappointment is that they would have gone along with the bling approach to remembrance if FIFA hadn't implied there would be sanctions. Still, better their position than the ignorance and hypocrisy coming from other associations and the tabloid press!
    Can't argue with the points you make Jon if that was the Welsh FA argument . It wasn't though , they decided they couldn't risk a fine or a points deduction. Embarrasing ...

Not being told what to do on a point of principle, is right in my opinion.

Hope our gutless compromise appeases those bastions of respectability at FIFA.

Do you really think that after England and Scotland talking it up so much that them having it on a black armband (not on the shirt) was more of a demonstration that us having blank black armbands and a mosaic?

And of course, you and the other Daily Mail readers in this thread used to hold your own two minutes silence (because, obviously, one minute isn't good enough) back in the days when, as far as I can remember, nothing used to happen at football matches to remember the war dead?

As I said, for at least fifty years of my life, Remembrance Day was observed in a certain way which has now been deemed to be not enough - why should that be? I can hardly remember demonstrations by those with personal experience of the two World Wars or those who knew people who died marching in protest at the lack of respect being shown back then - all of this faux outrage is a modern phenomenon, as is the desire to be seen to be doing something which is "better" than others are.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And of course, you and the other Daily Mail readers in this thread used to hold your own two minutes silence (because, obviously, one minute isn't good enough) back in the days when, as far as I can remember, nothing used to happen at football matches to remember the war dead?

As I said, for at least fifty years of my life, Remembrance Day was observed in a certain way which has now been deemed to be not enough - why should that be? I can hardly remember demonstrations by those with personal experience of the two World Wars or those who knew people who died marching in protest at the lack of respect being shown back then - all of this faux outrage is a modern phenomenon, as is the desire to be seen to be doing something which is "better" than others are.
    I’ve heard all the arguments for and against. When I was younger I didn’t give Remembrance Day a second thought, scoffed at it, thinking we should forget and move on. These days, being older, and hopefully wiser, and after having read some stuff with tears streaming down my face, I think Lest We Forget becomes more important and relevant. Wales, the team you support, requested that they be allowed to wear poppies, criticise them if you wish. They were refused by FIFA, an organisation so despicable, Sam Allardyce wouldn’t look out of place there. That’s my opinion, I respect yours, let’s move on.

I’ve heard all the arguments for and against. When I was younger I didn’t give Remembrance Day a second thought, scoffed at it, thinking we should forget and move on. These days, being older, and hopefully wiser, and after having read some stuff with tears streaming down my face, I think Lest We Forget becomes more important and relevant. Wales, the team you support, requested that they be allowed to wear poppies, criticise them if you wish. They were refused by FIFA, an organisation so despicable, Sam Allardyce wouldn’t look out of place there. That’s my opinion, I respect yours, let’s move on.
    Not often I stick up for them but in this case it isn't quite true that fifa refused them. The rules were set by the IFB and it's interesting to see (and has been mentioned on here) who makes up the IFB.

For me, it makes sense for there to be a blanket ban on all things that could be construed as political rather than an argument every time someone wants to put something on the shirt.

Don't know what was the most cringeworthy! The Argentinian rugby team being made to wear them or Cookie Monster being made to wear one on the One show!

Farage wasn't wearing one in the gold lift with Trump...