+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No poppies for Wales then...

No poppies for Wales then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37941608

Wales will just wear black armbands, Scotland and england will wear their poppies, defying the FIFA ban. Personally, I would have liked Wales to defy the ban as well.

Re: No poppies for Wales then...

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post

Wales will just wear black armbands, Scotland and england will wear their poppies, defying the FIFA ban. Personally, I would have liked Wales to defy the ban as well.
    At least they showed the respects at the war grave when they were in France

Problem being Fifa can only act if either of the teams makes a complaint, being as England and Scotland both want to wear the poppy, they cannot deduct points, but do you think that Serbia will not object, therefore Wales could have points deducted if they wear the poppy.
    I have to say though how can Fifa say that the poppy is either political or racist, which are what the rules states are the reason for not allowing the poppy

I have absolutely no problem with this. I'm glad the FAW haven't gone against FIFA just to placate your angry Sun reading types. Well done FAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with this. I'm glad the FAW haven't gone against FIFA just to placate your angry Sun reading types. Well done FAW.
    I'm far from an "angry Sun reading type" but this doesnt' sit too well with me; England and Scotland are defying the ban on principle, whilst the Welsh FAW are happy to respect the war dead - but only so far as there are no financial ramifications (there is no way there is a grounding for us to be deducted points when you look at what some of the other nations get away with).

On it's own the FAWs planned memorials would be fine but when you compare it with what our neighbours are doing, it leaves us wide open to criticism (and rightly so in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I'm far from an "angry Sun reading type" but this doesnt' sit too well with me; England and Scotland are defying the ban on principle, whilst the Welsh FAW are happy to respect the war dead - but only so far as there are no financial ramifications (there is no way there is a grounding for us to be deducted points when you look at what some of the other nations get away with).

On it's own it wouldn't bother me but when you compare it with what our neighbours are doing, it leaves us open to criticism (and rightly so in my opinion).
    I believe that the wearing of a poppy should be a personal choice made by the individual. This mass wearing of it by sports teams is very much a modern phenomenon and I feel it's being done just to be seen to be doing it so as not to incur the wrath of the media. Much like these celebrities with there sparkly poppies with bloody flashing led lights etc wearing them as a fashion item, I feel that cheapens the poppy as a symbol.

FAW Statement.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-sta...rance-weekend/

Fans can buy a poppy Welsh shirt.

JD Sports are also selling limited edition Wales home shirts with a poppy print and 100% of the profit from these sales will be donated to the Royal British Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    FAW Statement.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-sta...rance-weekend/

Fans can buy a poppy Welsh shirt.

JD Sports are also selling limited edition Wales home shirts with a poppy print and 100% of the profit from these sales will be donated to the Royal British Legion.
    Nice to see the FAW and FIFA taking and coming to an agreement. Very much in the spirit of the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post

I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the 'gesture politics' around Remembrance Day and the way it has been hijacked for purposes (some overtly political) that go beyond remembrance. However, in the middle of a tabloid rush to make 22 grown men wear an iron-on poppy on their chests rather than on an armband (no personal choice either way) I think the FAW has been very mature and sensible in its decision.

When it comes to comparing Wales with England (or Scotland), I am much more impressed by the FAW and Wales squad decision to visit the Langemark site and Artillery Wood Cemetery in 2014 than pandering to the Sun and Mail with a meaningless defiance of FIFA. That appeared to be spontaneous and genuine, and although it got some press coverage that didn't seem to be the reason they did it. With the FA and SFA it seems to me it is all about the headlines.

All this is about a 'custom' (aka marketing event) that didn't exist before 5 years ago!

Defying a ban...
    Funny thing isnt it?

It's Ok if 'we' do it?
    I bet it wouldnt be so OK if johnny foreigner's team defied a ban and displayed a symbol that meant a lot to them, but that we were not so pleased to see at all.

It has to be fair and not inflammatory. That is all FIFA is trying to do here.

Lord knows, I wouldn't queue up to defend FIFA. Nor disparage our brave fallen who sacrificed so very much.

But after some rational thought, and listening to a fair bit of debate, I can see why the ban is in place - across the board.

The black armbands are a good compromise, as is the regular people fans' opportunity to choose to wear a shirt proudly displaying the poppy if they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    the Welsh FAW are happy to respect the war dead - but only so far as there are no financial ramifications (there is no way there is a grounding for us to be deducted points when you look at what some of the other nations get away with).
    Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, suppose Wales did get docked points (on the basis of you never know). Those points cost Wales a place at the World cup. Would you happily sacrifice a place at the World Cup (potentially) just to stick two fingers up to FIFA and wear a poppy? I certainly wouldn't. It's not as if there won't be any activities or displays to remember our war dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, suppose Wales did get docked points (on the basis of you never know). Those points cost Wales a place at the World cup. Would you happily sacrifice a place at the World Cup (potentially) just to stick two fingers up to FIFA and wear a poppy? I certainly wouldn't. It's not as if there won't be any activities or displays to remember our war dead.
    Exactly, fvck that noise, there's too much at stake. If people want to go around wrongly thinking that the team not wearing a poppy means they don't respect the war dead then let them think it, they're likely morons anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Exactly.
    FIFA directly tell you not to do something, you do it anyway. That could very well be a points docking situation, I dont want that risk.
    The team that could complain about us wearing poppies are the team that could benefit from us being reprimanded.

I don't see anything wrong with this decision. The players can wear Poppy's on their suits before and after the game if they choose to.
    Rules are rules, and even tough this seems a daft one, defying authority isn't always the best ploy. I think the best way forward on this topic, is for the home nations bosses to speak to FIFA, and try to get the rule altered for future flash points in November games.

I think if England had taken this stance then they would have been slated as lily livered and spineless for not standing up for what they believed in despite outside pressure and it would be seen as disrespectful when other home nations were showing their respects and I think that would be a very valid viewpoint.

Points deduction! Yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the 'gesture politics' around Remembrance Day and the way it has been hijacked for purposes (some overtly political) that go beyond remembrance. However, in the middle of a tabloid rush to make 22 grown men wear an iron-on poppy on their chests rather than on an armband (no personal choice either way) I think the FAW has been very mature and sensible in its decision.

When it comes to comparing Wales with England (or Scotland), I am much more impressed by the FAW and Wales squad decision to visit the Langemark site and Artillery Wood Cemetery in 2014 than pandering to the Sun and Mail with a meaningless defiance of FIFA. That appeared to be spontaneous and genuine, and although it got some press coverage that didn't seem to be the reason they did it. With the FA and SFA it seems to me it is all about the headlines.

All this is about a 'custom' (aka marketing event) that didn't exist before 5 years ago!
    I'm no fan of the 'poppy police' either, and freedom means the right to choose whether you wish to wear a poppy or not. What is so disgusting about the FIFA directive is that it considers the poppy to be a political symbol, when it's anything but. A rotten, corrupt bunch of spivs, and I wish the Welsh FA had told them to go to hell..

I believe that the wearing of a poppy should be a personal choice made by the individual. This mass wearing of it by sports teams is very much a modern phenomenon and I feel it's being done just to be seen to be doing it so as not to incur the wrath of the media. Much like these celebrities with there sparkly poppies with bloody flashing led lights etc wearing them as a fashion item, I feel that cheapens the poppy as a symbol.
    Absolutely!!

If you want to get annoyed read the comment section for 60 seconds:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-Serbia.html

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    If you want to get annoyed read the comment section for 60 seconds:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-Serbia.html
    These are the most popular comments there:

Dark hour for Wales when they'd rather play safe than honour the dead that allow them to play in the first place. Disgrace. - That's the welsh for you. No backbone, spineless - Shame on you Welsh wimps. - FIFA and WALES are disgraceful. - If it wasn't for the servicemen and women who gave their lives for our freedom, there would be no football association of Wales - Shame on you COWARDS.

Banned

Gutless ****s,scared a fine will eat into their expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    Gutless ****s,scared a fine will eat into their expenses.
    Thank goodness, the voice of reason has arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Thank goodness, the voice of reason has arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    These are the most popular comments there:

Dark hour for Wales when they'd rather play safe than honour the dead that allow them to play in the first place. Disgrace. - That's the welsh for you. No backbone, spineless - Shame on you Welsh wimps. - FIFA and WALES are disgraceful. - If it wasn't for the servicemen and women who gave their lives for our freedom, there would be no football association of Wales - Shame on you COWARDS.
    Thousands more just like it too.

I hope this gets reversed and the FAW grow a pair

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Thousands more just like it too.

I hope this gets reversed and the FAW grow a pair
    I think a good rule of thumb is that if Daily Mail readers are angry, then you've done something right.

I think a good rule of thumb is that if Daily Mail readers are angry, then you've done something right.
    I upvote this comment.